Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 17:37   #1

Pilgrim 40

My wife and I lived aboard a Tayana37 for several years and thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. After being land bound for about 5 years, we are entertaining the thought of doing the waterway and loop in a trawler. As with most, our desires and budget have a serious conflict. I recently saw the Pilgrim 40 and its successor the PLay 43. I would like anyone with info on the pros and cons of these vessels to chime in. I am particularly interested in why so few were made.
Thanks
Captjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:52   #2

Boat: Pilgrim 40 LIBERTY
Re: Pilgrim 40

If you haven't already come across it, there is a lot of information on Pilgrims at:
Pilgrim40 : Pilgrim_40_Owners_Group. The reason there are so few Pilgrims built (41 total) was they became too expensive to build relative to how much people were willing to pay.
pilgrim_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:01   #3

Have seen commentary in some of Gozzard's material that production on the 40's ceased when the 43 hit the market. Can't say if that's the sole reason as the 43, although designed by Gozzard, was built and sold under the direction of Gary Ferguson by a new company and contracted production in Merida, Mexico. Seems that only 6 or 7 of the 43's were built....likely all for specific purchasers. Heard tell that full production financing was not obtained and no further units were built. Am aware of 2 of the 43's currently on the market...one in Ft Lauderdale ("Bayhouse") and one in Slidell LA ("Al-Baraka"). I have only recently purchased another and would be interested in compiling a list of current owners and learning more about the background and history of the Pilgrim 43 PLAY. Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.
Salty Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:47   #4

Hi, Just recently joined and would love to discuss pilgrim 40 and pilgrim play 43 motor yacht. love the design, let me know if you are still interested in these yachts.
mininemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:41   #5

Glad to hear of your interest in the Pilgrim. I have compiled some background material, mostly during my research on a potential trawler purchase and am always interested in expanding that file and connecting with others that share an interest in the boat. We are learning more and more about our 43 as we prepare her for the trip south from Kentucky to Florida, the Bahamas and eventual trip up the East coast and back to our home port in Canada......about 75% of the Loop. We expect to begin the trip in late November and by the time we're home should have a pretty good idea of the good, the bad and the ugly! Hopefully it's more of the former than the latter two!

Let me know more of the nature of your interest and we can go from there.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mininemo.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 09:56   #7

Salty Dawg and others of PLAY 43 expecience,

I'm looking for a retirement boat, and I've seen Bayhouse on YW, but know nothing more about her. Can you say a few words about the construction of the PLAY 43 hull? The fit and finish of Bayhouse does look very nice in photos, but what's the 43 like in person?

Thurman
thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 07:26   #8

Sorry about the timeliness of response.....haven't been into the site for a while! Thought there would be some kind of email notification? If still interested email me direct at allansmith@netscape.ca
Old 30-05-2013, 06:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dawg View Post
Glad to hear of your interest in the Pilgrim. I have compiled some background material, mostly during my research on a potential trawler purchase and am always interested in expanding that file and connecting with others that share an interest in the boat. We are learning more and more about our 43 as we prepare her for the trip south from Kentucky to Florida, the Bahamas and eventual trip up the East coast and back to our home port in Canada......about 75% of the Loop. We expect to begin the trip in late November and by the time we're home should have a pretty good idea of the good, the bad and the ugly! Hopefully it's more of the former than the latter two!

Let me know more of the nature of your interest and we can go from there.
I would be interested in looking at your file and findings. I've long had an interest in 'canal boats', and I'm now looking at a potential retirement vessel to spend part time on when I am in the USA..

Will send you a private email as well in case you don't visit the forums that often.
Old 30-05-2013, 09:35   #10

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Ed Schulman here; I owned and lived aboard one of the early P-40s East Coast. Actually some of the custom changes I had Gozzsard put on the boat became standard. We found the boat to be an excellent protected water boat. There is a strong tendency to roll(round bottom). I would consider bilge keels. The boat is not in my opinion a open water craft. I know that people have used it in open water including myself but I advise against it. The boat is very economical to run. The Aquadrive is a necessity if not vibration of flat panels can be annoying. A bow thruster is a good add on.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 18:43   #11
Marine Service Provider

Kitchen Rudder ?

Hi there Ed,...we meet again.
You have certainly owned your share of a variety of boats

What would you think of a 'kitchen rudder' arrangement on one of these vessels ??
Kitchen rudder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kitchen rudder - Boat Design Forums extensive discussion

I do not have any practical experience with them, just know of their existence, and it seems to be a candidate for consideration.

Narrowboat with a kitchen rudder - YouTube
Old 30-05-2013, 19:18   #12

Re;Kitchen rudder for P-40. The boat does not need any more forward or reverse thrust so I assume the Kitchen rudders function to be maneuverability. I have no experience or first hand knowledge of these units. Out here in the North-west we have a articulated rudder system that has been very successful on new builds and retrofits of medium size trawlers. I think the articulated system is less complex and the price range for a retrofit is a known range. The increase in maneuverability is quite striking and I think the rudder of a P-40 would lend itself well to that system. If I find the system on the net I will post it. We spent a lot of time mid Atlantic coast on our P-40 between 1984 and 1989. So if you have any concerns or questions let me know. EYS
Old 30-05-2013, 19:26   #13

Just Googled articulated rudder and found NW Co. Bayview engineering ind. I believe they have sold the idea to a bigger co. but the info. is on the net at there site.
Old 26-08-2013, 21:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Pilgrim 40 , Redesign

Judging by the number of respondents on this subject thread there are not a lot of Pilgrim owners on the forums....what a shame.

I've become particularly enthralled with this vessel as a potential live-aboard vessel, that would also leisurely explore the east coast of USA, and out to the Bahamas.

Meantime while I've been in Thailand for a month, and I just could NOT get the Pilgrim vessel off of my mind. I went looking in, and joined a Trawler Forum to see if I could find discussions pertaining to the Pilgrim vessels there. I didn't find too much, so I decided to stir up the waters and start a new subject thread:

Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 trawler, coastal cruiser
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

Its generated a fair amount of interest, not over whelming, but some of it interesting. I had forgotten to write to some of you owners to see if you might have some input, and/or to see if you participated in boat forums??

So here is my notification to you about this discussion. It is ongoing as I have not finished adding my additional comments about the possible alternative methods of building this 'redesign' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim_40 View Post
If you haven't already come across it, there is a lot of information on Pilgrims at:
Pilgrim40 : Pilgrim_40_Owners_Group. The reason there are so few Pilgrims built (41 total) was they became too expensive to build relative to how much people were willing to pay.
You might notice I am going thru my 'redesign' sort of step-by-step, and eventually I will add in some pricing estimates to build this redesign. I think some of those figures may surprise a few.

(PS: I might have considered 'duplicating or paralleling' this discussion on this forum, but I think it would not have been allowed by the rules? )

Regards, Brian
Old 31-08-2013, 21:04   #15

Brian you seem to be set on a steel hull. Have you reviewed Jay Benford's Coaster designs. A slightly different twist on the Pilgrim plot but in the same neighborhood and usually of steel with simple platting patterns. A fair number of boats have been built most over 50 foot. I kind of think 40 feet is on the borderline for steel construction. An aside point my vague memory recalls some rancor between the builder-designer of the pilgrim and the duo selling the boats. This I believe had much to do with the cut off of production(you know about that sort of thing). The selling duo went to a different builder for the larger model. For what it is worth I think you are spinning your wheels trying to redesign the pilgrim in steel. For those who want a pilgrim or an improved pilgrim buying used has to be-more economical. The few faults of the original design mainly when the boat is used outside its intended purpose can be moderated with modification within reason. After having owned and lived aboard the boat for some years including use in the inland waterway-mid offshore Atlantic-long island sound- Chesapeake bay, and southern New England the only major change I would make is addition of simple bilge keels. I would use a marine architect with a good engineering background and some experience with bilge keels to draw the keels putting emphasis on anti rolling function at rest and underway. What ever you decide good luck with your boat quest. I include two pictures of my present boats both meant to fulfill my present use patterns a single hander day sailor and a custom 48ft express for northwest cruising. We just got back yesterday from six weeks in BC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	66278   Click image for larger version

Name:	BJ (1).JPG
Views:	314
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	66279