Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 00:39   #16

Re: Perkins 4236 oil dipstick and dipstick tube lengths.

Hi Jasmynblue and Hankonthewater, apologies first for the delay in getting back to you but I have been away with my job and unfortunately I will be away for the next 3 or so weeks on holiday in Canada. I will not be down to my boat before I go away and won't be back home until October 2nd. I will be unable therefore to answer your question Jasmynblue until after that time. What I can tell you at this stage is that getting the correct dipstick and dipstick tube arrangement proved to be a very long and arduous task but the arrangement I have now appears to be correct. Briefly my story from the beginning was as follows:

1/ I discovered that my dipstick tube was homemade (made of copper) and checked with the Perkins agent in Ireland as to what the correct dipstick arrangement should be.

2/ Agent said my dipstick was the correct one but the tube was wrong.

3/ I bought new dipstick tube as per agent. ( Cost €63)

4/ Installed new tube with some difficulty. Minor bending required to clear oil filter.

5/ Went to fill sump with oil and I required in excess of 10.5 litres to reach max level on dipstick, which I knew was incorrect.

6/ Contacted Perkins HQ n England who told me that for my engine number both the dipstick and the newly purchased tube were incorrect and gave me the correct part numbers.

7/ I returned to the Irish agent with this information who apologized for the error and ordered the correct dipstick and tube. (Cost €123)

8/ Installed new tube and dipstick and had to remove slightly in excess of 1 litre of oil from the sump to reach the max level. End of dipstick & tube saga, I hope.

It appears from the diagram and photos that Hankonthewater posted, that his dipstick is on the right hand side of the engine as you face the front of the engine, whereas mine is on the left hand side just below the oil filter. My new dipstick is like Hankonhewaters in that the stick is a spring whereas my original stick was a solid steel rod. From memory I think my new stick appears to be shorter at about 6" long. Will talk again when I return from holiday and have visited my boat.
defatman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 00:44   #17

Hi Jasmynblue and Hankonthewater, I just remembered that I had recorded the new Part No's for the dipstick and tube on my computer and they are as follows:

Dipstick tube Part No: 35772327

Dipstick Part No: 317854678
defatman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:01   #18

Thanks for that info Defatman, I have been in contact with a Perkins dealer in Brisbane, who is going to contact Perkins UK. I googled my dipstick number and it came up as a Toyota Hi Lux dipstick. I wonder who the dipstick was that fitted it?. I have been putting 15 or so liters in, unbeknown it was way too much for years. My rear main started to leak which is how I discovered the correct amount of oil that should be going in. Since then luckily the rear main seams to have stopped leaking.
Jasmynonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 22:50   #19

Here is a parts list for the Lowline Marine 4236 Perkins engine. I hope it gets uploaded. Just for anyone interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Sump (Marine).pdf (407.7 KB, 114 views)
Jasmynonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 16:55   #20

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Jasmynonblue, thank you for posting the PDF. It shows the parts as is on my engine. So it looks like I have, or could have a 'proper' Perkins dipstick.

Tags
oil, perkins