Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 08:08   #46

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Passagemaking question???

GG:

Check these out:

Lazy Days - now $499K (saw it in a Dec 2012 mag at $524K)
1990 Hatteras Cockpit Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Gypsy Rose - $695K
1996 Hatteras Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I suspect neither perfectly suitable; first only has three staterooms, and the second is more expensive. And both still DDs. Still, perhaps these are good examples of clean, well-equipped boats with the kind of features you'd want to be considering/comparing.

Both of these are "cockpit motor yachts" -- and the smallish cockpit has some advantages when it comes to boarding from water level, floating docks, etc. Both also only have a soft bimini over the upper helm, whereas I'm a sucker for hardtops and better enclosures (a whole extra room, except in the coldest of weather)... which can always be added afterwards anyway.

I didn't examine the mechanical equipment in depth, but all that looked good enough at first quick glance. Both looked to be well-maintained, with various recent updates.

BTW, many brands have an "owners club" -- including Hatteras -- and I'd suspect Nordhavn does, too. We often get new members in our club who are still shopping, who want to pick our brains about features, known faults etc. in various models produced over the last 50 years. You could rummage around to see about what Hatteras and Nordhavn owners are saying to each other... especially if they have sections focused on long passages... and use what you learn there to compare to other brands/models you might be looking at in the marketplace.

-Chris
Old 20-01-2013, 08:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Any opinions of something like this? Wondering if this is an ocean crossing boat. They say it goes anywhere, but would that include crossing the Atlantic? I would definitely be willing to sacrifice cabins to get an ocean crosser.

2003 KEITH MARINE Custom Long Range Trawler Power New and Used Boats

That would handle your Ocean crossing fine rangewise...
Canaries to Carib.. 3000+ depending where you want to land...
Galapagos to Marquesa's... 3000 miles... and as above..
Why've they dropped by 100K...?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:27   #48

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont believe that is the case, mandatory ticketing based on size only comes in at 24 metres. since the Yachtmaster is a UK qualification issued by the MCA their rules apply and that is their rule.

dave
Dave

Danish law mandates that danish registered boats over 15 meters, once outside the baltic must have a skipper with a minimum of a yachtmaster 1st class ticket and a crew with a minimum of a yachtmaster 3 rd class ticket. I believe the other limit is 1000 HP (can't remember off hand).

Of course nobody is saying this lady shpuld register her boat in Denmark. I do believe it is foolhardy to buy such a large boat and think you can sail/dock etc it safely without some kind of training. And by some kind I do not mean an afternoon with the dealer.

The basics of navigation are also necessary, and by that I mean bouys, lanterns lighthouse etc, and the rules of the sea, stand on vessel/give way.

Should this woman suceed in her quest, i devotely hope she keeps us apprised of where she is sailing so I can make sure I am not in the vicinity. She will be a meanace to everything on the sea.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:44   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dave

Danish law mandates that danish registered boats over 15 meters, once outside the baltic must have a skipper with a minimum of a yachtmaster 1st class ticket and a crew with a minimum of a yachtmaster 3 rd class ticket. I believe the other limit is 1000 HP (can't remember off hand).

Of course nobody is saying this lady shpuld register her boat in Denmark. I do believe it is foolhardy to buy such a large boat and think you can sail/dock etc it safely without some kind of training. And by some kind I do not mean an afternoon with the dealer.

The basics of navigation are also necessary, and by that I mean bouys, lanterns lighthouse etc, and the rules of the sea, stand on vessel/give way.

Should this woman suceed in her quest, i devotely hope she keeps us apprised of where she is sailing so I can make sure I am not in the vicinity. She will be a meanace to everything on the sea.
Ouch...
I'm pretty sure if she does go through with it she'll either get a competent skipper.. and/or... take the appropriate instruction on her boat... she can spell... and that counts for a lot these days...
But seriously... still have not decided if this is an excellent Troll or not...
But happy to give the Lady the benifit of blah... blah..
Would be great if it all came together...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-01-2013, 16:36   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dave

If your going to make a dumb ass comment, then you deserve an equally dumb ass response. Go back and read my prior posts. I have said more times than I can count at this point, that I WILL NOT be taking the boat out without a captain until I have had proper training and know how to safely operate it.

and....who gives a crap about your Danish laws. I live in the United States.

Try making a useful comment next time, instead of nasty, inaccurate, uhelpful garbage.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG:

Check these out:

Gypsy Rose - $695K

I suspect neither perfectly suitable; first only has three staterooms, and the second is more expensive. And both still DDs. Still, perhaps these are good examples of clean, well-equipped boats with the kind of features you'd want to be considering/comparing.

Both of these are "cockpit motor yachts" -- and the smallish cockpit has some advantages when it comes to boarding from water level, floating docks, etc. Both also only have a soft bimini over the upper helm, whereas I'm a sucker for hardtops and better enclosures (a whole extra room, except in the coldest of weather)... which can always be added afterwards anyway.

I didn't examine the mechanical equipment in depth, but all that looked good enough at first quick glance. Both looked to be well-maintained, with various recent updates.

BTW, many brands have an "owners club" -- including Hatteras -- and I'd suspect Nordhavn does, too. We often get new members in our club who are still shopping, who want to pick our brains about features, known faults etc. in various models produced over the last 50 years. You could rummage around to see about what Hatteras and Nordhavn owners are saying to each other... especially if they have sections focused on long passages... and use what you learn there to compare to other brands/models you might be looking at in the marketplace.

-Chris
That first one is a real beaut, but a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Also, they don't cruise at trawler speeds, so does that make them not as fuel effecient?
Old 20-01-2013, 16:43   #52

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
If your going to make a dumb ass comment, then you deserve an equally dumb ass response. Go back and read my prior posts. I have said more times than I can count at this point, that I WILL NOT be taking the boat out without a captain until I have had proper training and know how to safely operate it.

Try making a useful comment next time, instead of nasty, inaccurate, uhelpful garbage.
Pulls up comfy chair, opens popcorn.
Old 20-01-2013, 16:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG:

Check these out:

Gypsy Rose - $695K

Does anyone actually have boats with economy in mind in the US?
As an example, look at this here in Australia. (cant believe its still available)
Probably smaller than what the op was after but you get the idea
MCLAREN 55 with 152hp GARDNER 6LXB
Quote:
Her Gardiner diesel (new 2003) will use 8ltrs/hr @ 1100 revs doing 6.5 to 7.5 knots.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:03   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dunno how you feel about steel... only 3 cabins/heads tho'
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=75488&url=
Learn in the Med... no tides to worry about..

I luv boat hunts...

Old 20-01-2013, 17:04   #55

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

No need for personal attacks! If you have sensible advice to give her, offer it with a smile. Most, sailors on here, do not deal with boats greater than 50 ft. Also, she is in a unique situation. She knows that there is plenty of homework to be done, prior to making her plans come to fruition. Please give her some slack! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:44   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
That first one is a real beaut, but a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Also, they don't cruise at trawler speeds, so does that make them not as fuel effecient?
Something to keep in mind. Just because a boat can go at planing or semi-planing speeds does not mean the same boat can't go at a "trawler speed".

Might not get quite as good mileage as a real trawler hull but would be in the same ballpark.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:34   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Something to keep in mind. Just because a boat can go at planing or semi-planing speeds does not mean the same boat can't go at a "trawler speed".

Might not get quite as good mileage as a real trawler hull but would be in the same ballpark.
That's interesting. I didn't realize that if you went slow than you could still achieve close to the same efficiency.

But, that thought, now sparks another question. Why wouldn't trawler lovers buy faster boats and have the the option if needed?
Old 20-01-2013, 19:47   #58

Why would you buy a faster boat (bigger engines, higher fuel usage, heavier hull build) if you only plan on travelling at 8 to 10 knots?

Speaking to many people who actually do long passages on powered vessels you will find that sea-state and fuel usage dictates a 10 knot speed anyway.

Also, diesel engines apparently prefer a workout, so running big engines at slower RPM is apparently not a good thing.
Better to have a smaller hp engine working in its sweetspot.

Quote:
I didn't realize that if you went slow than you could still achieve close to the same efficiency.
I doubt that.
I am guessing, but I would suggest that this boat with 500hp plus running at 1/4 throttle will still use a fair bit more than the same vessel running 150hp in its sweetspot..
55 fter with 6LXB Gardner
Old 20-01-2013, 20:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno how you feel about steel... only 3 cabins/heads tho'
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=75488&url=
Learn in the Med... no tides to worry about..

I luv boat hunts...
This is a great suggestion. I would definitely compromise on cabins if I could get something ocean-crossing. The price is awesome as well. Almost seems to easy. I was thinking ocean crossers would be more pricey. The shape doesn't look much different than some of the Hats and others I was considering. Why can this one cross, but those others cannot. This is the stuff that confuses me.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:41   #60

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

GG

Number of times on this thread you have said that you "will not be taking the boat out without a captain until you have had the proper training" = -0-.

While you may live in the US, certain local laws will apply to you when you visit foreign waters, so this is also something you should become aware of.

But of course you know all that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote