Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 09:24   #31

Re: Passagemaking question???

Shipping a 65' boat across an ocean is not cheap. Figure on $40k to $100k depending on popularity of route. And that's one way. I looked into shipping my 47' boat from FL to Vancouver and is was $50k one way.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 10:04   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to the conclusion, that with 5 kids, and as a semi-liveaboard, my family would best suited for a 65' Trawler type boat. Although, I frequently have to fight the immense temptation to look at larger boats, I refrain myself (most of the time anyway), and try to stick to the plan.
Agreed a former trawler is the only way you are going to get the space needed without WW3 breaking out between the kids every 5 minutes. The other advantage to a fishing trawler is that it will probably already have big fuel tanks and lots of storage space to convert into living accommodation.

These boats are built to fish the North Sea and make trips to Iceland so no problem about big crossings and rough seas.

How about something like these, okay I appreciate it's on the wrong side of a major ocean but you will have something similar state side, or even start in europe

wooden trawler MACDUFF - FAFB

Steel Trawler - FAFB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing Boat.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	53055   Click image for larger version

Name:	4ee3cf80-927c-425c-b313-68fd42275891_medium500.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	53056  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 04:27   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yeah, but most boats lack a Zeus and a joystick. The OP is the same person in another thread who stated plans to share both her condo and a 65'+ something with herself and 5 kids with goals to live on her boat in cold New England.

It is one thing to dream and another for others to take dreamers with zero on the water experiences seriously.

The local Fleming dealer leases many slips in our marina, and a few months ago I got to chatting with one of the boat owners. Can't remember if it was a new 55' or 65'... in any case, it's their first boat.

As they always do, the dealer trained 'em in docking and so forth... no particular drama (that I know of) associated with jumping in like that.

-Chris
Old 19-01-2013, 08:52   #34

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The local Fleming dealer leases many slips in our marina, and a few months ago I got to chatting with one of the boat owners. Can't remember if it was a new 55' or 65'... in any case, it's their first boat.

As they always do, the dealer trained 'em in docking and so forth... no particular drama (that I know of) associated with jumping in like that.

-Chris

Docking depends on many things as you know. Things such as current, wind & dock access. Our 40' docks into a finger pier along a crowed fairway. It can be challenging backing into one of those docks with 15+knot wind blowing across your beam even with twin Crusader Engines.

A large power boat has large surface areas that act in a similar manner to a sail. Strong winds are common where we keep our boat as well they must be at other marinas. Yes, docking can be done even without thrusters. Some people learn to do so quickly, others never learn as demonstrated by the number of AWE SHUCKS they suffer in the process.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
We delivered a 50' from the Bahamas to Venezuela and back several times over the past few years. With fuel bladders, the trip takes about a week.

And, we circumnavigated with a 50' and 5800 ltrs of fuel - took 5 years, but we weren't in a hurry. Our crew of five, each had their own cabin and plenty of stretch out space. On our return, we removed the Mercedes diesel for the DD671 the boat was designed to have and reduced the weight by nearly 100kg. She floated much better and actually made more speed.
I didn't know that was possible. So, that would be about 1500 gallons. So what was the range then?
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:10   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You might also want to check, what, if any, skippers papers you require to skipper something that size.

If it is danish registered ,for example, it will require a yachtmaster 1st class license, once it leaves danish waters. Other countries have similar requirements
I dont believe that is the case, mandatory ticketing based on size only comes in at 24 metres. since the Yachtmaster is a UK qualification issued by the MCA their rules apply and that is their rule.

dave
Old 19-01-2013, 16:11   #37

Quote:
GG, nice to see you're still working your plan

Sometimes an "LRC" is called that simply 'cause that's what the maker (e.g., Hatt) decided to name it... and in their case, it's a decently accurate description. Note they didn't name it a "Trans-Oceanic Cruiser."

All the comments you've seen are right on the mark: ship your boat, charter is good, etc.

People make the trip from FL to the Caribbean in 20' powerboats, so most vessels in the range you're looking at would do -- for that kind of trip -- quite nicely. Note Skipmac's description of island hopping.

-Chris
Hey Chris,
ya, that's what I was beginning to wonder, if LRC was just a marketing tool because I have found that there are many other boats with long range and large tanks.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont believe that is the case, mandatory ticketing based on size only comes in at 24 metres. since the Yachtmaster is a UK qualification issued by the MCA their rules apply and that is their rule.
Yachtmaster 1st class is not a UK qualification. I guess it might be a Danish qualification. There is no reason why multiple countries cannot use the term Yachtmaster as part of a qualification name.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed a former trawler is the only way you are going to get the space needed without WW3 breaking out between the kids every 5 minutes. The other advantage to a fishing trawler is that it will probably already have big fuel tanks and lots of storage space to convert into living accommodation.

These boats are built to fish the North Sea and make trips to Iceland so no problem about big crossings and rough seas.

How about something like these, okay I appreciate it's on the wrong side of a major ocean but you will have something similar state side, or even start in europe

wooden trawler MACDUFF - FAFB

Steel Trawler - FAFB
I had kind of abandoned the desire to cross over to Europe, but maybe I should re-consider? I wish that these boats had a price so that I could get an idea.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:30   #40

Quote:

-Chris
Thanks Chris for constantly reminding me that I am not SO crazy...some folks can really bring you down.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:34   #41

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
I had kind of abandoned the desire to cross over to Europe, but maybe I should re-consider? I wish that these boats had a price so that I could get an idea.
Have a look on the site
Others do have prices
steel trawler - FAFB
But how much to convert and what is the fuel burn are the more important questions.
Old 19-01-2013, 17:07   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Prices in Europe...
1982 Hatteras 65 LRC Long Range Expedition Power New and Used Boats

1991 Hatteras Yachts (US) Hatteras 65 Power New and Used Boats for

1983 Hatteras 65 Sailing yacht Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 20:00   #43

Any opinions of something like this? Wondering if this is an ocean crossing boat. They say it goes anywhere, but would that include crossing the Atlantic? I would definitely be willing to sacrifice cabins to get an ocean crosser.

2003 KEITH MARINE Custom Long Range Trawler Power New and Used Boats
Old 20-01-2013, 04:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Docking depends on many things as you know. Things such as current, wind & dock access. Our 40' docks into a finger pier along a crowed fairway. It can be challenging backing into one of those docks with 15+knot wind blowing across your beam even with twin Crusader Engines.

A large power boat has large surface areas that act in a similar manner to a sail. Strong winds are common where we keep our boat as well they must be at other marinas. Yes, docking can be done even without thrusters. Some people learn to do so quickly, others never learn as demonstrated by the number of AWE SHUCKS they suffer in the process.

Foggy

Yep, sure, all that. I only meant it as an example of folks successfully operating a relatively big honker as their very first boat

-Chris
Old 20-01-2013, 04:59   #45

Quote:
Hey Chris,
ya, that's what I was beginning to wonder, if LRC was just a marketing tool because I have found that there are many other boats with long range and large tanks.

Yep: What's the definition of "long"?

An owner of a "sistership" to ours made the trip from Boston to St. Thomas. Aside from an unfortunate prop/shaft ding they had to repair, and heavy weather on one of their trip legs, it was fine.

Our boat -- with tanks (520-gallons total) and typical fuel consumption while up on plane at "cruising" speed (~26 GPH) -- is definitely NOT/NOT considered a "long range" anything.

OTOH, when coastal cruising and island hopping, it's not all that difficult to refuel along the way

The Keith Marine trawler might be partially representative of the market these days, although I'm not very familiar with steel hulls... or Perkins Sabre diesels. Looks like only 3 staterooms, though...

-Chris