Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 10:24   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 793
Re: Passagemaking question???

Shipping a 65' boat across an ocean is not cheap. Figure on $40k to $100k depending on popularity of route. And that's one way. I looked into shipping my 47' boat from FL to Vancouver and is was $50k one way.
__________________

__________________
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 11:04   #32
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,551
Images: 14
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to the conclusion, that with 5 kids, and as a semi-liveaboard, my family would best suited for a 65' Trawler type boat. Although, I frequently have to fight the immense temptation to look at larger boats, I refrain myself (most of the time anyway), and try to stick to the plan.
Agreed a former trawler is the only way you are going to get the space needed without WW3 breaking out between the kids every 5 minutes. The other advantage to a fishing trawler is that it will probably already have big fuel tanks and lots of storage space to convert into living accommodation.

These boats are built to fish the North Sea and make trips to Iceland so no problem about big crossings and rough seas.

How about something like these, okay I appreciate it's on the wrong side of a major ocean but you will have something similar state side, or even start in europe

wooden trawler MACDUFF - FAFB

Steel Trawler - FAFB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing Boat.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	53055   Click image for larger version

Name:	4ee3cf80-927c-425c-b313-68fd42275891_medium500.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	53056  

__________________

__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 05:27   #33
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,984
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yeah, but most boats lack a Zeus and a joystick. The OP is the same person in another thread who stated plans to share both her condo and a 65'+ something with herself and 5 kids with goals to live on her boat in cold New England.

It is one thing to dream and another for others to take dreamers with zero on the water experiences seriously.

The local Fleming dealer leases many slips in our marina, and a few months ago I got to chatting with one of the boat owners. Can't remember if it was a new 55' or 65'... in any case, it's their first boat.

As they always do, the dealer trained 'em in docking and so forth... no particular drama (that I know of) associated with jumping in like that.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:52   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The local Fleming dealer leases many slips in our marina, and a few months ago I got to chatting with one of the boat owners. Can't remember if it was a new 55' or 65'... in any case, it's their first boat.

As they always do, the dealer trained 'em in docking and so forth... no particular drama (that I know of) associated with jumping in like that.

-Chris

Docking depends on many things as you know. Things such as current, wind & dock access. Our 40' docks into a finger pier along a crowed fairway. It can be challenging backing into one of those docks with 15+knot wind blowing across your beam even with twin Crusader Engines.

A large power boat has large surface areas that act in a similar manner to a sail. Strong winds are common where we keep our boat as well they must be at other marinas. Yes, docking can be done even without thrusters. Some people learn to do so quickly, others never learn as demonstrated by the number of AWE SHUCKS they suffer in the process.

Foggy
__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:00   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
We delivered a 50' from the Bahamas to Venezuela and back several times over the past few years. With fuel bladders, the trip takes about a week.

And, we circumnavigated with a 50' and 5800 ltrs of fuel - took 5 years, but we weren't in a hurry. Our crew of five, each had their own cabin and plenty of stretch out space. On our return, we removed the Mercedes diesel for the DD671 the boat was designed to have and reduced the weight by nearly 100kg. She floated much better and actually made more speed.
I didn't know that was possible. So, that would be about 1500 gallons. So what was the range then?
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:10   #36
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You might also want to check, what, if any, skippers papers you require to skipper something that size.

If it is danish registered ,for example, it will require a yachtmaster 1st class license, once it leaves danish waters. Other countries have similar requirements
I dont believe that is the case, mandatory ticketing based on size only comes in at 24 metres. since the Yachtmaster is a UK qualification issued by the MCA their rules apply and that is their rule.

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:11   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG, nice to see you're still working your plan

Sometimes an "LRC" is called that simply 'cause that's what the maker (e.g., Hatt) decided to name it... and in their case, it's a decently accurate description. Note they didn't name it a "Trans-Oceanic Cruiser."

All the comments you've seen are right on the mark: ship your boat, charter is good, etc.

People make the trip from FL to the Caribbean in 20' powerboats, so most vessels in the range you're looking at would do -- for that kind of trip -- quite nicely. Note Skipmac's description of island hopping.

-Chris
Hey Chris,
ya, that's what I was beginning to wonder, if LRC was just a marketing tool because I have found that there are many other boats with long range and large tanks.
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:15   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 650
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont believe that is the case, mandatory ticketing based on size only comes in at 24 metres. since the Yachtmaster is a UK qualification issued by the MCA their rules apply and that is their rule.
Yachtmaster 1st class is not a UK qualification. I guess it might be a Danish qualification. There is no reason why multiple countries cannot use the term Yachtmaster as part of a qualification name.
__________________
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:28   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed a former trawler is the only way you are going to get the space needed without WW3 breaking out between the kids every 5 minutes. The other advantage to a fishing trawler is that it will probably already have big fuel tanks and lots of storage space to convert into living accommodation.

These boats are built to fish the North Sea and make trips to Iceland so no problem about big crossings and rough seas.

How about something like these, okay I appreciate it's on the wrong side of a major ocean but you will have something similar state side, or even start in europe

wooden trawler MACDUFF - FAFB

Steel Trawler - FAFB
I had kind of abandoned the desire to cross over to Europe, but maybe I should re-consider? I wish that these boats had a price so that I could get an idea.
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:30   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The local Fleming dealer leases many slips in our marina, and a few months ago I got to chatting with one of the boat owners. Can't remember if it was a new 55' or 65'... in any case, it's their first boat.

As they always do, the dealer trained 'em in docking and so forth... no particular drama (that I know of) associated with jumping in like that.

-Chris
Thanks Chris for constantly reminding me that I am not SO crazy...some folks can really bring you down.
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:34   #41
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I had kind of abandoned the desire to cross over to Europe, but maybe I should re-consider? I wish that these boats had a price so that I could get an idea.
Have a look on the site
Others do have prices
steel trawler - FAFB
But how much to convert and what is the fuel burn are the more important questions.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:07   #42
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I had kind of abandoned the desire to cross over to Europe, but maybe I should re-consider? I wish that these boats had a price so that I could get an idea.
Prices in Europe...
1982 Hatteras 65 LRC Long Range Expedition Power New and Used Boats

1991 Hatteras Yachts (US) Hatteras 65 Power New and Used Boats for

1983 Hatteras 65 Sailing yacht Sail New and Used Boats for Sale
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:00   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Passagemaking question???

Any opinions of something like this? Wondering if this is an ocean crossing boat. They say it goes anywhere, but would that include crossing the Atlantic? I would definitely be willing to sacrifice cabins to get an ocean crosser.

2003 KEITH MARINE Custom Long Range Trawler Power New and Used Boats
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 05:53   #44
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,984
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Docking depends on many things as you know. Things such as current, wind & dock access. Our 40' docks into a finger pier along a crowed fairway. It can be challenging backing into one of those docks with 15+knot wind blowing across your beam even with twin Crusader Engines.

A large power boat has large surface areas that act in a similar manner to a sail. Strong winds are common where we keep our boat as well they must be at other marinas. Yes, docking can be done even without thrusters. Some people learn to do so quickly, others never learn as demonstrated by the number of AWE SHUCKS they suffer in the process.

Foggy

Yep, sure, all that. I only meant it as an example of folks successfully operating a relatively big honker as their very first boat

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 05:59   #45
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,984
Re: Passagemaking question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Hey Chris,
ya, that's what I was beginning to wonder, if LRC was just a marketing tool because I have found that there are many other boats with long range and large tanks.

Yep: What's the definition of "long"?

An owner of a "sistership" to ours made the trip from Boston to St. Thomas. Aside from an unfortunate prop/shaft ding they had to repair, and heavy weather on one of their trip legs, it was fine.

Our boat -- with tanks (520-gallons total) and typical fuel consumption while up on plane at "cruising" speed (~26 GPH) -- is definitely NOT/NOT considered a "long range" anything.

OTOH, when coastal cruising and island hopping, it's not all that difficult to refuel along the way

The Keith Marine trawler might be partially representative of the market these days, although I'm not very familiar with steel hulls... or Perkins Sabre diesels. Looks like only 3 staterooms, though...

-Chris
__________________

__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.