Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 10:10   #1

Pacific Expedition PE55

Hello everyone,

My wife and I plan to take a few years off work and would like to circumnavigate. We'd probably start by cruising the west coat down to Baja (since the yacht is built in Oregon). We're currently leaning toward having a powered cat (PE55) built by Pacific Expedition Yachts. I'm looking for opinions on the PE55 design and it's ability to circumnavigate. Since the yacht is completely customizable ideas on what could/should be changed is greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Jason
PwrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 13:32   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Pacific Expedition Yachts PE-45 Power Catamaran

Thats a very large 55,

I see Bloomfield at the bottom, do you know if that is Stewart Bloomfield
About Us - Bloomfield Innovation

I would say it would definitely appear capable of circumnavigation, if it can carry the fuel and have the economy to do it.

I think you may need look at dropping the speed back to 10 or 12 knots to achieve it .
Old 20-11-2009, 15:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I see Bloomfield at the bottom, do you know if that is Stewart Bloomfield
About Us - Bloomfield Innovation
Yes, the naval architect for the PE45/55/65 is Stuart Bloomfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I would say it would definitely appear capable of circumnavigation, if it can carry the fuel and have the economy to do it.

I think you may need look at dropping the speed back to 10 or 12 knots to achieve it .
The current plan is to increase the fuel to 2000gal. PEY is saying 3000nm legs are possible at that point.

We're considering taking delivery in our home state of FL and cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean for a year (getting to know the boat, etc) before circumnavigation. I'm told getting a year of experience on the yacht will help w/ insurance rates.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 21-11-2009, 09:32   #4

Hello,

The PE45/55 is also available w/ Zeus pod drives (vs inboards). It seems like traditional inboards would be better if you need to get work done "around the world", and Zeus would be better for resale down the road. Our current yacht has Volvo IPS500's ... they're simply amazing when it comes to fuel economy. Not sure if the Zeus work as well. Opinions?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 21-11-2009, 10:13   #5

While that design certainly looks capable of circumnavigating, have you considered the Dashew powerboat? The look is certainty "different" but it's hard to imagine a better powerboat for a couple to circumnavigate. The build quality is astonishing.

If you haven't done so already, I'd at least read through their site and compare/contrast their reasoning to your reasons for liking the PE55.

DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 13:24   #6

Boat: Olson 40
Regarding the Dashew boat:

If you have enough money, I think a power cat beats a monohull powerboat hands down unless there is a specific requirement for narrow beam, very low "air draft" or absolute lowest cost.

Regarding pod drives:

The efficiency of the pod drive over shaft drive comes mostly from the elimination of shaft angle. The PE has a very low shaft angle already, so I would be surprised if the pod would be more efficient that straight shafts in this specific installation. Remember that the pod loses in nearly all other ways: more wetted surface, more weight, more mechanical losses due to the two sets of bevel drives and additional bearings. On typical powerboats, the huge win from getting rid of the downward shaft angle makes up for the other losses.

On typical powerboats pods help a lot for maneuvering due to the vectored thrust, and the joystick control. On a wide beam power cat like the PE, I expect that you'll have so much leverage that you'll hardly need rudders to maneuver.

I suggest you sea trial one of the already launched PE boats, and see how well the shafts work for you.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 14:41   #7

Here is a link to a recent thread by an owner of a PE 55 power cat.

Maybe you know him, or have seen the boat at the builders yard.

He is definitely a proud new owner.

Trawler? - Trawler Forum

Mike
Mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote