Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-10-2017, 18:40   #1

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40
Pacemaker 38 Motor Yacht

We are giving some thought to a 1972 38 ft. Pacemaker Motor Yacht. We have been looking for information (positives and negatives) on it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 16-10-2017, 06:27   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Pacemaker 38 Motor Yacht

I have no specific info, but at least Pacemaker had a good rep, back then.

That particular boat is a bit long in the tooth, but if it has features you like, surveys well (both marine survey and mechanical survey), and if the price is right... could be a likely way to get you out on the water.

May need various system refreshing: fresh water pumps, lighting, battery charger, soft goods, etc. Aircon likely a big feature where you live, so you'd probably want those, to be in working order, or the price to reflect that you'll want to replace. If the engines don't pass survey, and if price takes that into account, newer modern engines could be an OK thing too.

I could see starting with a serious inside/outside detailing, especially including the engine room... replacing whatever needs immediate attention... and then using the boat, routine maintenance/repair/replacement thereafter.

You might do a search to see if there's a Pacemaker owners club out there somewhere. And there might be some old magazine reviews that may have been scanned and uploaded somewhere...

-Chris

Old 16-10-2017, 09:02   #3

Thank you Chris. ..good advice...we are currently (and have been since the 80's) on the water. Currently on 37 ft. Endeavour Sailboat...but I am 68, husband is 78 and we are starting to look for a "camp" we can use on the bayous in Louisiana and perhaps up the Tenn-Tom when we put our Sailboat on the market...we are scouring the Internet but haven't found any in the New Orleans (or southern) area. Would really like some comments from past owners. Thanks again for your quick response.
Old 23-10-2017, 14:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Never owned one but worked on a few when I owned a yard. Many have Detroit Diesels, my favorite marine small diesel. With good care and reasonable operation the engines last many years between overhauls. And they're made to be overhauled, sleeves, etc. In general, older yachts are built better than newer ones. Builders didn't skimp on quality workers as they do now. Hulls are usually better made and a little thicker. Better hardware. I suppose it's the market that makes it that way.
Couple places to check:
Pacemaker Boat Owners Association
Pacemaker Yachts - General Sportfish Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!
Pacemaker Boat Owners
Pacemaker Boats - Forums and Reviews
Old 23-10-2017, 16:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Never owned one but worked on a few when I owned a yard. Many have Detroit Diesels, my favorite marine small diesel. With good care and reasonable operation the engines last many years between overhauls. And they're made to be overhauled, sleeves, etc. In general, older yachts are built better than newer ones. Builders didn't skimp on quality workers as they do now. Hulls are usually better made and a little thicker. Better hardware. I suppose it's the market that makes it that way.
Couple places to check:
Pacemaker Boat Owners Association
Pacemaker Yachts - General Sportfish Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!
Pacemaker Boat Owners
Pacemaker Boats - Forums and Reviews
Thanks Lepke...we will check those out...we agree about the older boats👍. Thanks again for your links.

Tags
motor, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: