Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 07:33   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Owens Concorde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Sorry, I'm technologically deficient, I'd need a kid to do that and don't have one....but it was 19.9K I believe and it's the only one in that price range for Owens, that's how I find it again. Sorry!
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1564&url=
Old 30-12-2011, 16:27   #32

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Nice looking boat, that would be a bargain if it can pass a survey. The Perkins should be efficient power for it. I averaged 5.22 gal. per hour with my Hinos this year, I would think the Perkins should have similar results.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:54   #33

Thanks del..! Yes, not a bad one....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:49   #34
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Here's another Concorde that just showed up on the market.

1975 Concorde Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

In Texas. 1975 47' Cummins (400hp each), 760 gal fuel, 150 water. $69,900.

Would be on the thirsty side, but not too bad running slow (for a planing hull, that is). But should have a decent range for coastal/Caribbean.

If the pictures don't lie, it looks in pretty good shape.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:26   #35

Just ran across this ad, this is the boat that's on the next dock over from my slip. Looks like its been for sale for a few years by the dates on the pics, 1st time I saw a for sale sign on it was last year.
Old 16-01-2012, 12:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser
Just ran across this ad, this is the boat that's on the next dock over from my slip. Looks like its been for sale for a few years by the dates on the pics, 1st time I saw a for sale sign on it was last year.
Forgot the link:

http://boatnutsbrokerage.com/1970concord47.html
Old 21-01-2012, 15:33   #37

Capt. Willy,
I have a 1968 33' Brigantine. I would add a photo, but don't know how to do as a URL. It's all glass and lots of it. It may have been the first year Concorde used glass, but I don't know. I believe earlier Concordes were "production" boats as the company had upwards of 500 employees at one time. From what I have seen, when they switched to all glass construction, they were all built like tanks. All new people on my boat think it is much larger than it is - Concorde provided a LOT of boat for the size. Also, Concorde is a great buy for the money. My hobby is spearfishing and my 33' is layed out as a spearfishing machine.
Happy cruising,
Tim
timflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 14:59   #38

Boat: 1970 Concorde 35 MY

Hi Tim - thanks for the note.

If you just copy the URL into a post it should know about it as a link automagically. You can also use the advanced posting mode and use the toolbar functions to set up to hyperlink.

Love to see your boat!

Calm seas and blue skies, all...

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY

PS - Rivercruiser and Dacust - thanks for sharing your postings as well - man, those 47's are bea-u-ti-ful motor yachts!
Capt. Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 21:35   #39

My dad worked for Brunswick and was transferred to Concorde in 1968. He was there for all of the above (Owens--> Concorde--> Test Concorde--> bankruptcy) and therefore has intimate knowledge of the ups and downs of building boats during the Oil Crisis of 1973 and what happens when the new owner doesn't pay payroll taxes. If you have some specific questions about building techniques, materials, production runs, etc, then I should be able to get answers for you.

Dave
Concorde Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 21:59   #40

here's a few pictures, mostly from the 1971 Regatta Boat Show. Let me know if this link doesn't take you right to the album.

Concorde Yachts pictures by DaveGorman - Photobucket
Old 31-05-2012, 09:27   #41

Concorde Kid,

Your link worked great - it's wonderful to see these yachts on the water in their factory-new glory!

I do have a few questions I'd appreciate your passing along to your Dad:

- What is the hull construction at and below the waterline? I believe the topsides are cored, and also think the hull is solid fiberglass.
- Does he know the thickness of the hull in the engine compartment area around the stringers? It's tough to move around in there only standing on the stringers and I'm hesitant to stand with weight on the hull!
- Factory gas tank capacity (maybe 2 x 80 gallons?)

I'm also curious as to whether he has any pics of the Concorde 35 line in the factory. I'd love to print and frame anything he has and hang it aboard! Also any original documentation would be a huge bonus.

You can let him know I just cruised from Oneida Lake (Syracuse NY) to Irondequoit Bay (Rochester NY) navigating through the Oswego River Canal. We make the approximately 150 mile trip in one shot, running about 12 hours. On the open water I was making about 24 knots at 2900 RPM. She felt good at that speed!

I'm including a link to a Facebook pic of the boat at the marina taken before we left for the trip.

Thanks for your help and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Old 31-05-2012, 22:49   #42

questions passed along. Hopefully I'll have some answers for you soon! Glad you enjoyed the pics.
Old 03-06-2012, 14:35   #43

some answers:

I assume that he has a 35 footer so I enclosed a price and data sheet for that size. The data sheet is for 1974 line, but the boat specs and option lists were the same from our first build in 1968. The hull is all glass and the thickness on the bottom ranged from 3/8ths to 5/8ths of an inch.

The construction started with 2 layers of fine woven boat cloth against the gel coat. Cloth was used so that no roving would imprint through the gel coat. The next 4 layers were 24 ounce woven roving. Two layers of glass mat followed and then two coats of chopped strand completed the hull. The 2x8 wooden lateral stringers were wrapped on all sides with the 24 ounce roving and then laminated in place with 3 more layers of woven roving. The engine compartment hull area was finally finished with mat and roving that extended from about 12 inches up the port side to and over the stringers to about 12 inches up the starboard side. There is no problem standing up in the compartment.

As you can see from the spec sheet, it has a 240 gallon fuel capacity. I have no photos of the factory production line.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Concorde.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	41835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concorde1.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	41836  

Old 03-06-2012, 15:00   #44

"This is the only picture I have of the plant interior. It is significant only that it shows the last mahogany 42 footer that we built. That is a 35 next to it. The visitors were our Washington area dealers. They were located on Occoquan Creek (Virginia). The 42 footer means that the picture was taken late in 1968."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Concorde 1968.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	41837  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47   #45

Dave - great stuff! Thanks for getting the data from your Dad. One question, when he says there's no problem standing in the engine compartment, is he speaking strictly of standing on the stringers, or directly on the hull glass as well?

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KL.jpg
Views:	1447
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	41892