Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 15:43   #1

Outboard Powered Circumnavigation

Hey gang, been doing some research on the "net" about outboard boats and circumnavigation. i can't find anything that says anyone has done it yet. anyone out there know if it has been done? thanks!
wescraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:46   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: outboard powered circumnavigation

ummmmm.....boats with no motor have already done it.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:54   #3

exactly!

seems to me it's a matter of range and seaworthiness...
Old 04-10-2012, 15:55   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Episode 6 - Circumnavigating the world with Outboards
After cruising the world for over 12 years, Chris & Karen Ennor of 34ft (Crowther) catamaran “Magic Carpet” share their experience of circumnavigating with the world with a single 9.9hp outboard motor. Learn and listen to the pros and cons of outboard motors, plus how to be best prepared before undertaking a long term blue water cruise.
Seawind Catamarans
Old 04-10-2012, 15:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I think OP is talking about a power boat, not a sailboat, that circumnavigates using outboard engines only...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 16:02   #6

Ex-Calif is right. strictly outboard powered. a couple of guys did it back in the late `70's in a 53' trawler, but that's wasn't outboard powered.

i'm guessing you'd want a boat with at least a 1200 mile range, huh?
Old 04-10-2012, 16:09   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I think OP is talking about a power boat, not a sailboat, that circumnavigates using outboard engines only...
Yeah, I know

I actually thought there was a tri that had done it with diesel powered outboards (yanmar d27) but I cant find anything to back that up
Old 04-10-2012, 16:11   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yeah, I know

I actually thought there was a tri that had done it with diesel powered outboards (yanmar d27) but I cant find anything to back that up
Is yanmar still making those? parts were next to impossible to find in the US last time I tried.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 16:15   #9

Re: Outboard Powered Circumnavigation

I can't find anything that anyone had done it. i found something about two guys from Sweden who got to Alaska and had a falling out, they were sponsored by Mercury but didn't even make it half way.

i can't see how this isn't possible with today's 4 strokers. the problem is bigger is more engines and more fuel. to do it effieciently i would think smaller and lighter would be better.

I got this idea after reading about the two brothers who went acroos the north atlantic in their flats boat a few years ago.
Old 04-10-2012, 17:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The problem is that outboards are less fuel efficient that a properly selected shaft, and when planning a trip of this magnitude fuel economy is directly related to cost.

Just some quick math...

Lets say a circumnavigation is going to be 36,000 miles. A high efficiency inboard engine will get roughly 5 miles per gallon of fuel. So to make this trip you would be looking at around 7,200 gallons of fuel. If an outboard is even 10% less efficient that would raise the fuel usage by 720 gallons of fuel, or roughly $2,880 dollars (at $4/gallon average).

This ignores the fact that you would be forced to use gas, since there aren't any major manufacturers of diesel outboards. And that because of the fuel efficiency numbers you would be forced to dedicate more internal volume to fuel storage.

There are other significant problems as well:

Outboards typically won't have the same service life of an inboard diesel
Moving the weight to the back of the boat makes balancing it a bigger problem
In any seas the likelihood of lifting the prop out of the water is significantly worse

Frankly it could likely be done assuming you had the support of an engine manufacturer just as a publicity stunt, but outboards just aren't reasonable options for the prime mover on a trip of this duration.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Yeah, assuming only using fair weather windows, reasonable boat size, etc... I'd see the biggest issues being fuel capacity, and gas vs. diesel. Most outboard-powered boats are relatively small, compared to the fuel capacity required for transoceanic crossings.

I suspect some of the new 4-stroke outboards, especially of modest size as appropriate for the hull, would be up to the task... Probably with (ideally, mostly routine) service along the way, which would not be uncommon for many engines.

But having the quantity of gasoline required for some of the longer legs would be problematic. (FWIW, we don't carry enough diesel in fixed tanks -- 42-ft boat, 520 gals -- to make a crossing.)

-Chris
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

You might need a purpose-build boat. Light enough to get better mileage, stout enough and ballasted properly to handle the worst seas you might encounter.

Our 31' coastal sailor, 5000 lbs. loaded, can get 15 statute miles per gallon with our Nissan 9.8 4-stroke. . . . on a nice calm day, going 5 knots, with no adverse wind. . .. But I wouldn't take it trans-Atlantic.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:18   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Cat Man Do, with respect to the Yanmar outboard you were probably remembering this:
http://lists.trawlering.com/pipermai...ber/000754.htm
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16   #14

Hey Garth, good to here from you! i agree with you, purpose built, light and loads of fuel is my thoughts. smaller the horsepower, the more effiecient we can get, but you'll want enough to be able to overcome adverse conditions also. timing, that's the critical factor.

here is my thoughts, 20' boat, similar to a tolman skiff, only made lighter, and yes that can be done; 60 or 75 HP and leaning toward the 60 as those engines are lighter than any 75; 250 gallons of fuel, maybe more? you would want a 1200 mile range min.; two people; minimal supplies. longest leg would be from Calif. to Hawaii, which could be done with mid ocean refueling by one of the regular barge services between them. then Midway, Wake, Enewetok, Truk, Palau, Malaysia, Singapore, the tip of Sumatra, Sri Lanka, India, Oman, Djibouti, the Suez Canal, Crete, Italy, Gibraltar, the Canary's, Cape Verde, then Brazil via Fernando De Noronha, along the north coast of S. America through the Panama Canal and up the coast back to Calif.

about 29000 miles and 1200 hours with good weather.

any comments?

BTW Garth, your last trip to the Exumas was my inpiration...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09   #15

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Geeez guys, sharpen up those search skills.

In 1989, YANMAR ENDEAVOR did the first leg from San Francisco to Hawaii on 400 gallons of diesel. It's in the forum search archives. The owner later took the boat across the Pacific and beyond. Google it. Two 25 hp Yanmar outboards.

I crewed aboard it, a Gino Morelli designed, special purpose composite trimaran, no sails (except for the two Windsurfer masts and sails we had in the float for an emergency.

We lived, walked on and slept around the fuel bags, and made it to Honolulu is just over a week. Noisy and confined, but an adventure, just the same.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, outboard