Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2012, 12:51   #16

Re: Outboard Powered Circumnavigation

Hi Roy M, you are correct (obviously) in the SF to Hawaii leg. but i can't find any info they ever finished a circumnivigation. And that was my point in the original start of this thread. I have found nothing to show me that it has ever been finished. Alan Priddy tried with a RIB but failed in New Foundland. There were two Swedish guys who got as far as the Aluetians and had a falling out (one was threatening to beat the pulp out of the other) and they had Mercury sponsoring them.

And again, I don't see that anyone has ever finished it.

Admitedly, I'm not the internet search guru as others are, hence my posting here. But I don't see why it hasn't been done actually. Even following a coastal route through Russia (now that Russia has become a little more cruiser friendly) would be simple enough, rather long, but still doable.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Wes,

The problem is that it is just a stunt. Sure it could be done, but that's about it. It would be highly inefficient, because outboards by their design are severely restricted in the size of the prop they can turn. The larger the prop the more efficiency can be extracted.

Practically the size boat you suggested is nowhere near big enough, and has way to large of an engine. Think more like 40hp on a 37' boat. Traveling at below hull speed you would be running about 5kn for optimal efficiency. So figure one gallon per hour at five knots, to cross the Atlantic you would need around 600 gallons of fuel, which would weigh in at around 4,000lbs.

You will also need to figure two crew and all their supplies for about 30 days. So add a couple thousand more pounds. Given the sailing weight of a heavy sailboat would be around 9,000lbs you would near double it in supplies and fuel. This would make the boat seriously overweight, and massively decrease performance.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I guess that rules out YANMAR ENDEAVOR's second leg from Honolulu to Sydney, Australia. Must not have happened.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:59   #19

Boat: Sadler 26

Some years ago, a Zodiac RIB with a GRP cabin and 75HP Yanmar or Tohatsu diesel outboard stopped in Knysna South Africa and their aim was to circumnavigate using Soy Diesel. It seems that they had drums dropped off at designated stops along the way. Not sure where they came from or if they ever completed their goal. Anyone else have any info on this? Sometime in the late 1990's.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No mention; are you thinking planing speed or trawler speed?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:31   #21

Roy M, i just couldn't find anything about the second leg or if they finished.

Biltong, i haven't found any info on that one. would be interesting...

Cheechako, Planing. otherwise we would invest in a heavy trawler type.

Stumble, sure it's a trick. that's the point. to do something no one else has. to prove the technology. to prove it could be done. heck, why wouldn't anyone want to hike, under gruelling circumstances, to the top of K2? to prove it can be done. same with circumnavigating with an outboard. it isn't a pleasure cruise now is it?
Old 11-10-2012, 14:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheechako, Planing. otherwise we would invest in a heavy trawler type

The reason I asked is when I ran an aluminum boat shop, we did a lot of fuel burn testing, in fact we did every boat we built and gave the report to the new owner. Many of these boats were 26-29 footers with 250 HP outboards. Some interesting things were:
*Almost no difference in fuel economy for all the major engine manufacturers. (4 stroke 250 HP and Evinrude ETEC)
*OB boats are most efficient planing at cruise RPM. (3500-4000 if memory serves) Yeah, they are sucking about 13 gal per hour, but going 35-40 Kmiles in that hour. Trying to slow down to say 25 kmiles per hour sucked less gas, but didnt get you as far... and was less MPG.

Of course, if the circumnavigation was 30000 miles, and if you could travel 35 off shore (big if!) You would burn about 11250 gallons on the trip.....

Old 11-10-2012, 14:39   #23

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescraft View Post
Hey gang, been doing some research on the "net" about outboard boats and circumnavigation. i can't find anything that says anyone has done it yet. anyone out there know if it has been done? thanks!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:27   #24

Boat: Cal 2-27

you guys are thinking of motors that are pretty big. I remembered reading about this guy crossing the atlantic
Tohatsu Outboards: Authorized North American Distributor for Tohatsu Outboards, Parts, & Accessories.
Old 11-10-2012, 15:36   #25

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Old 11-10-2012, 15:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You most likely need to tow a fuel barge...

Jose Wejebe drove a sponsors twin engine fishing boat from Fla to Central America. He was followed by large craft carrying fuel...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 19:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are doing just to...

And a planing speeds... I really doubt it can be done. An Atlantic crossing is bad enough, but you could island hop to refuel. But when trying to cross the Pacifc there are some long legs where there are no fuel stops available. So you would need to carry all your fuel with you.

I am not sure what units Cheech is using, but assuming he is talking abut an outboard getting 3 miles to the gallon, which would be extremely good. You are looking at some stretches of 1500 miles or more. So you will need to carry at least 500 gallons of fuel for that trip. Weighing in at around 3,000lbs. The boats he is talking about can't carry near that much weight, so you will need to go to a larger boat just to hold the fuel.

This requires larger engines to move, which costs more in fuel, ect...

Again I don't think much is impossible, if you assume an unlimited budget, and had resupply vessels stretched out across the ocean it's doable, but the cost of this trip just went up massively.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yeah... catch 22.... need more fuel, need a bigger boat to carry it... then need more fuel... then... etc at non planing speeds it beomes easier I suppose....

Old 15-10-2012, 01:45   #29

dont forget that irish bloke that steamed across the atlantic in a inflatable , from memory non stop with a 25 hp outboard
Old 16-10-2012, 10:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Wescraft, contact Gino Morelli (designer of Yanmar Endeavor, Stars and Stripes cat, etc.: Morrelli & Melvin Design & Engineering, Inc.

It has been a while, so forgive my memory lapse. Yanmar Endeavor went from a three man crew to Hawaii from San Francisco. After a period for refurbishment and stores, Steve Scheidler, the owner, left on the next leg with a woman as crew. I later heard they got as far as Sydney, Australia, but then lost the boat on a reef somewhere. If you do a search in this forum, you will encounter the name of the guy who later purchased the two engines from Steve, salvaged them and made one serviceable engine for his monohull sailboat. Gino Morelli may put you in contact with Steve Scheidler.

Here's the contact for the guy who bought the engines: http://www.cast-aways.com/hind_sight.htm

Tags
circumnavigation, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: