Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-11-2016, 08:20   #16

Re: Outboard motors history

At cruising speed you can hear it no problem, but it isn't an annoying sound, almost soothing.
At idle in the cockpit the cooling water exiting is louder than the motor, down below you can't hear it.
At idle if the canvas is off the dodger frame every once and a while it lets out a little rattle. I don't remember it from last year but I did lose a hinge bolt overboard and replaced it with a plain SS bolt to finish the season. A little loose on one side...

Old 13-11-2016, 16:36   #17

My friend has a 50hp 4cycle EFI on a 25' poontoon boat. That engine idles so darn smooth and quiet that when I am at the helm I look at the tach to see if the engine is running.

It is so much smoother and quiet that my 1989 100HP 2 cycle. Best thing about my outboard is it seems powerful but vibrates at idle and is loud. Kinda an audio safety feature. You know when the engine is running w/o looking at the tach.

Old 29-01-2017, 21:38   #18

Boat: 17 Wenonah

Back in my misspent yoof my family had a 16' aluminum fishing boat with a 1968 Johnson 18hp outboard. 2 stroke, they all were back then. For a full day of fishing on the other side of the lake we would take two 6 gallon gasoline tanks and figure on using all of one and part of the other.

As late as the early 1980s the outboards were all carbureted 2 stroke engines, burning premixed fuel. They were, on the whole, inefficient, noisy, odoriferous, unreliable, environmentally unsound, and maintenance intensive. The only good thing about them is that they were perhaps somewhat lighter than the modern 4 strokes.

As for fuel economy particularly, tastes have changed in small boats powered by outboards. For one thing they were smaller abeam as the highway regulations limited width to 96" and many were smaller than that. And they were usually lighter built, a fishing boat in the early 1970s had no deck, just the hull and some bench seats. Same boat today would have a deck, swivel seats, a live well, lockers, battery, electronics, etc, all adds to the displacement drag and reduces the fuel economy. Not the motors fault. Speeds expected have also gone up along with HP per foot.
Old 29-01-2017, 23:44   #19

Congratulations!!!!! The future is here!!!!

We replaced the 40hp 2 stroke on our 34' Gemini Catamaran with a 25hp 4 stroke EFI.

As long as I keep it around 5kts, we got around 10mpg. Slow down and it's even better. Usually, we ran at 6.5kts and got around 6mpg.

As other people have said, at idle, you had to look to see if it was running.

Your hopes have been met.

Tags
history, motor, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: