Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:26   #1

Opinions: Selene vs Kadey Krogen

what is your opinion on selenes.pro or con.compared to a kadey krogen?
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 18:45   #2

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
Don't know about construction -- I think both brands are pretty high quality. But the Selene and Kady Krogens differ in their hull designs.

The Kady Krogens are true displacement hulls -- soft chine, deep forefoot, keel aft. They will not plane at all, they will roll freely at times, and they have long range -- usually 1000 miles or more. Single screw in the smaller sizes, but I think the new 55 has twin screws.

The Selenes are more of a semi-displacement hull. I believe they are hard chine, and have flattish sections aft that will allow them to exceed displacement hull speeds given sufficient power. They are likely to have a quicker roll than the Kadey Krogens, and some people would not consider them to be as ultimately seaworthy. My guess is the Selenes are almost as seaworthy as Kadey Krogens, but I would probably go for a Nordhavn if I was planning trans ocean passages. I believe Selenes are available in single or twin screw power options, but I may be mistaken on that.

I will say the big Kadey Krogen -- the 55 I think -- is probably quite capable of ocean-crossing passages in safety and relative comfort.

For coastal cruising either one would be pretty good, but I look at the big, high-sided Kadey Krogen 48's and wonder how much of a handful they would be to maneuver and dock in typical marinas given the single screw and massive topsides. I sometimes think that people buy offshore boats like the Kadey Krogens because they like the salty "look" and then use them for short-range coastal cruising where a twin-screw powerboat would be handier and better suited to that type of boating.

I'd love to hear if you buy one and what made you decide on it. Good Luck!

John S.
Jamestown, RI
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 21:53   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I agree with John and feel that if you are not crossing an ocean there are better boats for coastal cruising. both twin and single motor types. I would consider one of the many downeast(lobster) types or nordic tugs (a relatively fast semi dislacement hull) or just a good twin motor power boat semidislacement or planning. The krogan and salines have the shipy look but they are big bulky high out of the water boats difficult to deal with around docks is some ways more of a block house-but the ladies just love all that interior room and headroom. great boats to go aboard at a boat show. Just consider that the average sail boat at 3/4ths the size is imenently more seaworthy.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:41   #4

Boat: Wittholz 40
Both are good boats but as very well pointed out above, their intended purpose at sea differ.
Construction should be a major consideration; the Krogens are cored hulls - be careful, have a very competent surveyor in your employ!
Old 02-02-2010, 17:06   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Just saw a defever 48( also a 50 version with two heads) at seattle boat show-comes with twin motors is a tried and tested design and well priced as new or used against krogan and saline both of which I boarded and not so impressed with.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06   #6

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
Re: Opinions: Selene vs Kadey Krogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjberta View Post
Both are good boats but as very well pointed out above, their intended purpose at sea differ.
Construction should be a major consideration; the Krogens are cored hulls - be careful, have a very competent surveyor in your employ!
Below the waterline the Krogens are solid glass. They have a far greater range than a Selene, I love the new 48AE.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41   #7

I do not know what the "range" of the comparable Krogen is, but just for the record our single engine (280HP Cummins) Selene 47 (50ft overall) typically averages about 2.5nmpg. We carry 900 gallons for a range (to empty!!!) of about 2,500 statute miles. The hull configuration is close to full displacement (??) and is very seaworthy as we have proven over many rough blue water trips. Typically we cruise at 7.5 to 8.0kts, with a max. of 9.5 to 10kts. The vessel weighs about 65,000lbs.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I do not know what the "range" of the comparable Krogen is, but just for the record our single engine (280HP Cummins) Selene 47 (50ft overall) typically averages about 2.5nmpg. We carry 900 gallons for a range (to empty!!!) of about 2,500 statute miles. The hull configuration is close to full displacement (??) and is very seaworthy as we have proven over many rough blue water trips. Typically we cruise at 7.5 to 8.0kts, with a max. of 9.5 to 10kts. The vessel weighs about 65,000lbs.

Those are good numbers, the Krogen will do 4700 miles at 6 knots leaving a 10% reserve. This drops to 3000 miles at 7 knots or 1400 miles at 9 knots.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:48   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You can't go wrong with either boat.

Krogen pro: comes standard with a John Deere diesel, which I prefer over the Selene's Cummins.

Selene pro: Divinicell core above the waterline.

Were I forced to choose between the two, I'd probably opt for the Selene. It would make me feel less remorse about not having purchased the Nordhavn.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:58   #10

I agree you can't go wrong with either one. My vote would be for the Krogen, I prefer the layout and the hull shape. Nordhavn doesn't get my vote due to the dry stack.
Old 13-03-2012, 11:41   #11

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Wow-have to jump in here as we have a 58' Krogen. Before we bought, I spent a great seal of time looking a the boat we wanted-range (2,800 nm), comfort, quality, company rep and support, reliability. I have vistedd the yards that build the Krogen, Nordhavn and Selene (Selene owns its own yard in Shenzen, China). We even went to the extent of working with Bill Crealock on a custom design. We ended up with the Krogen and could not be more pleased.

Let's face it-both boats are decently built and with anything 45' and up, you prety much cruise anywhere in the world. That said, to me there is little comparison between the two. In past years, Selene did have quality-control issues. Anything more than about 4-5 years old may be an interesting boat to own-wiring issues, plumbing issues among others. Their wuality has improved over the last 5 years, but to me at least, has not matched either the Nordhavn or the Krogen yet. Selenes sell at least in part on the price difference of 20-25%. In some measure, that price difference is reflected in quality. W

If you want a boat built to the best quality from the mold up, go with the Krogen. Their support is great, you can always call them and get help or just smooze.

On the water, if you are going offshore, the Krogen is a far more comfortable boat. Both will make long crossings, but the hull shape of the Krogen makes for a much more comfortable ride, especially in a following sea. As to the comments here about windage, it is not nearly as much of a problem as you might think. The Krogen is solid glass below the waterline, with reinforcement in strategic places (bow, etc), but cored and quite light topsides. It does not have nearly the profile of a Nordhavn. With twins and a bow thruster, close quarters handling is superb. I agree with the commenter on the Deeres. Great engines and not a lick of problems, run forever and relatively easy to take care of and again, good support.

In short, if purchase $$ is an issue, go with the Selene, if money is not the issue, go with the better boat-Krogen. You will not be sorry.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:00   #12

I actually quoted incorrect fuel numbers for our Selene. We burn on average 2.5gph for a typical 3nmpg at 7.5kt. Hence max range with 900 gallons computes to 2,700nm.

Obviously, engine HP, speed, and tank capacity are critical factors in figuring cruising range. We tend to go from one "cheapest" diesel pump to the next "cheapest" diesel pump several hundred miles away!! Now costs about $3,500 to fill up, but fuel is still not a major factor in terms of overall costs.

Having been offshore in good blows (50kt) and rough (12ft) seas, the boat is far better at handling these conditions than my wife!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:12   #13

Ok, JayCall has bumped the size up to 58 ft. I'll bump it up to 60 to get really good range.
Look at this one.

Review: Sea Spirit 60' Passagemaker - YachtForums.Com

And beautiful to, with very long legs. "With fuel capacity of 2100 gallons, at a speed of 9 knots, a consumption rate of 5.1 gph gives a 3,500 nautical mile range. Slow her down to 8 knots and fuel burn drops to 2.9gph, resulting in a 5,000 mile range. So how low can you go? At 6.5 knots without generators and with 10% fuel reserve, she will burn 1 gallon per hour and journey more than 13,000 miles! OK compromise – run one gennie and shorten the trip to 8,000 nautical miles. Transoceanic indeed."
Old 26-03-2012, 21:49   #14

Boat: Hatteras 58LRC extended 64' "Moana Hale"

I looked at the Krogens but did not find them a very comfortable boat but appeared seaworthy - I do have to say the Selene appears to be a pretty good boat and more comfortable in my opinion - you should check out the blog of the boat named Furthur - Brian took his across the Pacific without a hitch and has been down there for over 2 years cruising around.
MoanaHale is offline   Reply With Quote