Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 03:09   #1

Opinions needed: Bayliner Discovery 195 YOB:2006

Damsel in distress: Title says it all as again but this time round, its your opinions that I need from you guys on this beautiful yacht:

Description
- Bayliner Discovery 195 with latest high performance hull, made in the USA.
Very rare in Singapore.

- Excellent condition, year 2006, dry-berthed, polished.

- Smooth powerful fuel-efficient 4-Cycle Mercruiser 3.0L engine.

- Boat goes fast with superb driving pleasure because of features such as
performance stainless steel propellers, and Stingray stabiliser.

- Spacious and very safe for whole family because of high free-board sides.

- Beautifully laid-out interior with integrated transformable full length
day-lounger seats, sun-deck lounger, bow sofa seating, back swim-platform etc.

- Full dashboard gauges and meters.

- Full electronics including Garmin GPS with detailed Singapore/Malaysia marine
maps, Sonar, Automatic Identification System (AIS).

- Features Delta Anchor, Chain, quality Rope, imported colour matching mooring
ropes, imported black Taylor-Made fenders.

- Full safety gear.

- Twin deep-cycle marine batteries with Perko selector switch.

My question: HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR THIS YACHT? No pics included as I haven't got hold of them yet. But I can assure you it look pretty decent and clean. A brief look around showed that the current resale price for the same model and same YOB is USD12,995. Owner is asking for USD25,000 so i don't know is he being crazy or I'm ignorant or what. Your opinions on this would be much appreciated!

ps. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum! Mods please kindly help me shift it to the relevant forum if needed. Thanks!
Forizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 03:15   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
No clue why is it twice the price it should be is it because.of where it is? New that boat only.cost 18k in 2006 I would pass unless because of.location its more valuable.?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 03:32   #3

Re: Opinions needed: Bayliner Discovery 195 YOB:2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
No clue why is it twice the price it should be is it because.of where it is? New that boat only.cost 18k in 2006 I would pass unless because of.location its more valuable.?
yacht is located in Singapore and apparently it's 'pretty rare' here. hmmm... :/
Old 27-12-2013, 04:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have moved the thread into the power boat section.

However, there is no way I would be paying $25,000 for a 2006 Bayliner. Their reputation in the UK was of okay but and the equivalent of a Ford, entry level type of craft. Offer him $9000 so he takes the hint. Even if you had to import one it shouldn't cost that.

This should give an idea of what the rest of the world think they are worth:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cate.../195+Discovery

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 04:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have moved the thread into the power boat section.

However, there is no way I would be paying $25,000 for a 2006 Bayliner. Their reputation in the UK was of okay but and the equivalent of a Ford, entry level type of craft. Offer him $9000 so he takes the hint. Even if you had to import one it shouldn't cost that.

This should give an idea of what the rest of the world think they are worth:

Bayliner 195 Discovery boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

Pete
hey Pete thanks for shifting my thread and I apologise for the hassle. the owner claim that I am considering without the cost of shipping over to this part of the world (to Singapore) and secondly without the mandatory and performance fittings. while it's mostly Riveras around here and Bayliners are rare, I don't think the brand would mean that much around. and I didn't think the engine or 'fittings' were anything too spectacular too but this fella seem to think otherwise.
Old 27-12-2013, 05:20   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Don't you have to take import costs into account when evaluating the price?

I know that in Nevis, the new Toyota RAV4 that we bought back in 2006 cost about 85% more than the equivalent model if it had been bought in the US. Transportation costs and customs duties accounted for the difference. When we sold it six years later, we were able to get almost as much as the cost of a brand new one that we bought when we moved back to Virginia in 2012, and the new one had more options.

To be clear, we sold a six year old vehicle in Nevis for the same price as a better-equiped new one in the US!

I don't know what the import duties and transportation costs are in Singapore, but I think that to properly evaluate the asking price, you should do some research and try to come up with the true cost of the boat there, then depreciate it for a realistic offering price.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:29   #7

Hud3, see that's the thing. the owner of the yacht is claiming that his 7 year old, pretty mediocre (at least in the states and UK) yacht is special because the brand is rarely seen here and potential buyers need not worry about importing costs. But it doesn't make the yacht any special when people can easily get a younger and more recent yacht for a lot less. I can understand if this is a veteran yacht or has some interesting history or something though.
Old 27-12-2013, 07:11   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Not sure what your timeline is to buy it or how in love with it you are, but if you can wait see if its still there in a month or more. Obviously he thinks he has a rolex to sell, maybe if he is still sitting on it after a while he will realize it is a casio and sell it for a more realistic price..... of course I say this being one of the most impatient want to buy now kind of people there is.....if you can't wait low ball and see what happens
Old 27-12-2013, 07:18   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Yes, by all means buy the newer boat for less if it's what you want and can find in good condition.

As was stated by another poster, Bayliners are viewed as entry level boats, so if you can buy a better quality boat at or below the Bayliner price, it's a no-brainer. My only point is that if you want a Bayliner in Singapore, you need to factor in the costs of getting it there. And you did seem a mite smitten with it in your first post.
Old 27-12-2013, 09:06   #10

Thank you gentlemen for your kind input. And yes Hud3 you were right that I was smitten at first because it was a Bayliner which is indeed rarely seen here. but realistically speaking, it is just another average yacht. bit like a good $3 eyeliner vs $30 posh eyeliner... both does the same job exactly well but it's just a brand. and Bayliner isn't exactly posh outside of this little island

ontherocks83 yes the owner does think he owns a rolex here and so far whatever input I try to subtly give to him was seen as putting his precious boat down. however the dude seem to be posting his ad online everywhere so I'll try to ask how long has he been trying to sell it.

EDIT: in case this might give you guys a better idea

http://www.olx.com.sg/beautiful-yr20...-iid-505018511

I still don't see how is it rare
Old 27-12-2013, 10:49   #11

FORIZON
Bayliners are mass produced, entry level boats as has been said. Originally they were built in the Pacific Northwest, as fishing, water skiing and runabouts, with the largest model a 28' flybridge, there are lots of them around. Bayliner later began a 'Yacht' line of hulls and I think are now part of a larger marine mfg. company.
You didn't say how many hours are on the engine but the boat is 7+ years old. You can spend some time googling 'Bayliner' to get an idea of what a comparable 19' sells for in the U.S. Also consider how much you plan to use it and what it might be worth when you go to sell it.
The 'import' premium seems to be way excessive. A $9,000 offer may be at the high end of its' value.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 19:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
FORIZON
Bayliners are mass produced, entry level boats as has been said. Originally they were built in the Pacific Northwest, as fishing, water skiing and runabouts, with the largest model a 28' flybridge, there are lots of them around. Bayliner later began a 'Yacht' line of hulls and I think are now part of a larger marine mfg. company.
You didn't say how many hours are on the engine but the boat is 7+ years old. You can spend some time googling 'Bayliner' to get an idea of what a comparable 19' sells for in the U.S. Also consider how much you plan to use it and what it might be worth when you go to sell it.
The 'import' premium seems to be way excessive. A $9,000 offer may be at the high end of its' value.
GPSocal, Thank you so much for the information! The owner of the boat thought the most important selling point of his Bayliner was because it is rarely seen here in Singapore and that there's no importing cost involved, therefore it should worth that much. I was offering to help selling it out but after second thought, I think I don't need all that additional trouble
Old 27-12-2013, 22:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

The other aspect of buying is just how enjoyable it would be to own this boat and what would be the real cost.

What I mean by real cost is the total cost of ownership - depreciation, loss of investment income, maintenance, storage, insurance, running costs, rescue costs....

It may be an idea to total everything up and see if the final bill is affordable.

Then consider how much you might use the boat. Many boats get a fair bit of use and then sit in their slips or on their moorings until their condition deteriorates to the point where they are virtually given away.

All boats are considered holes in the water into which money is poured. Is the pleasure worth the cost?

Is there a smaller, cheaper boat available that will give as much fun for less money?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 23:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
The other aspect of buying is just how enjoyable it would be to own this boat and what would be the real cost.

What I mean by real cost is the total cost of ownership - depreciation, loss of investment income, maintenance, storage, insurance, running costs, rescue costs....

It may be an idea to total everything up and see if the final bill is affordable.

Then consider how much you might use the boat. Many boats get a fair bit of use and then sit in their slips or on their moorings until their condition deteriorates to the point where they are virtually given away.

All boats are considered holes in the water into which money is poured. Is the pleasure worth the cost?

Is there a smaller, cheaper boat available that will give as much fun for less money?
Hey Boracay, now your post makes me wonder how big this boat is. There are definitely a lot more other options out there that offer the equivalent or even better quality and functions than this Bayliner here. As mention previously, the owner thinks his boat is worth his asking price (twice of the original and it is 7 years old mind you) because 1) There's very little Bayliners here in Singapore 2) potential buyers need not worry about importing costs.

I am not gonna buy this boat but was offering to help him sell it and thought I'll ask you guys what are you opinions on this boat. After reading through all the comments here I think I can safely say I'll pass on selling the boat for this bloke. Unless I can find someone who is an extreme Bayliner fanatic here in Singapore, I don't think it is worth me going through all the troubles
Old 30-12-2013, 07:16   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Just a slight addition. Bayliners above about 35' are well-built and not as much considered "entry-level" around here. The smaller ones, yep, very value-priced, entry-level focused. The broad brush has sort of unfairly smeared their larger boats... so much so that Brunswick changed all that to the newer Meridian line. Smaller Bayliners remain the same. FWIW, even the smaller ones seem to be seaworthy enough; usually the cheap stuff is the fittings... which can be replaced (upgraded) over time as necessary.

(None of that should change opinions about whether to pursue the Singapore boat )

-Chris