Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 13:42   #1

Operationg Costs of ~50' Trawler or Trawler-Like Boat

Hi all!

I'm currently an avid sailboat racer and my wife and I want to retire on a boat.

We've looked at power and sail, but for the same size you can't beat power, plus not as much work on a day to day basis to "make it go" ;-)

We've been to a few boat shows and have liked the Elling, DeFever, Kadey-Krogen. (Probably a couple of others that I forgot.)

For space considerations we're looking in the 50 foot range.

Right now we're doing some retirement number crunching and need to figure out what it would cost (in today's dollars) to operate such a boat.

Our plans would be to head to Key West in the winters and up to Annapolis in the summers, possibly up to New England for a bit. We'd also like to have the option of heading to the Caribbean over the winter.

I know I need to calculate fuel costs as one of the biggest items but I have no idea how much fuel these types of boats consume. For other costs I know I need to take into consideration changing oil & etc. I'm planning on doing most of the routine maintenance on my own to keep costs down.

Any and all advice is welcomed!
Sailing-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 14:20   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Per season, obviously the fuel cost will be the big difference... but funny enough, over the course of 10-15 years, the ultimate ownership costs of power vs sail are surprisingly close. One can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of a new set of sails, new standing rigging, new running rigging, etc.

What size sailboat did you own? Give us some perspective of what you are moving from. If it was ~50', then your marina costs will be equal, your haul out fees about the same, bottom paint about the same. Food and living expenses don't change.

What ever you used to spend to maintain the engine on your sailboat, figure double that. Maybe even 150% more counting running gear like props and shafts and more frequent fluid changes.

For a 50' trawler, I would figure about 6-8 gal/hr at about 8kts. Actual mileage will vary with engine options and hull shapes, but that's close enough for you to do some figures on the back of napkins.

Now, if you are the type who will run a generator most days to power a/c or large electrical loads, figure another .5gal/hr average for that.

The kind of cruising you are contemplating is perfect for a slow trawler like you seek. I admit to a certain smug satisfaction when I pass a sailor on the ICW; he is all bundled up with hats and gloves and looks miserable on a spring rainy morning, while I sit at my cozy, warm inside helm in a t-shirt enjoying my morning coffee ...
Old 16-02-2011, 14:28   #3
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
I figure a mile per gallon on average. 500 miles = 500 gallons > fast or slow over time it all averages out to one on one....and consider you're driving a straight course no zig zagging...
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:13   #4
cruiser

I agree with Doug. The expenses are going to be similar to a sailboat. If you intend to blast up and down the coast at 25 kts, you're going to spend a lot on fuel. With a trawler, not so much...

I've had my 53' DeFever for 8 years, about to start our 9th. When we moved at 8.9 kts, we burned 8 GPH - a touch better than a mile per gallon. That was in the days of $0.99/gallon diesel. With $3.00/gallon we move at 7.6 kts and burn almost 4 GPH or almost 2 miles per gallon. That's all totaled for both engines.

We live on our trawler for 9 months a year currently, up from about 6 when we first started. We're typically in New England in the Summer and Florida/Bahamas in the Winter.

I figure that anchoring costs us about $20/day ($10 fuel, $10 maintenance/wear & tear/other fees). So finding a marina that's $400 - $600 per month including electric is a pretty good deal from a financial perspective.

Trawlers provide wonderful amounts of space and comfort and terrific comfort while underway. The best way to learn more is to go see a bunch - TrawlerFests are often good places to check them out and see different models and types. MTOA (Marine Trawlers Owners Association) has a few large rendezvous every year including one in Stuart this April and Cambridge, MD this September. That would also be a good place to see some trawlers and meet people who are into it.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:22   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Sounds like Jeff Siegel has the numbers you need. As somewhat of an ICW expert I can tell you that probably your biggest expenditures will be other than fuel. For one thing, the cheapest fuel is available along the ICW in various places like Coinjock, NC, for instance. You will fill up there before heading north or south and save a fortune over New England prices. Also, the general cost of living is cheaper in the Carolinas and Florida. Of course you can easily spend two or three times as much depending on how often you want to stay in marinas, eat out at restaurants, etc. A general rule of thumb is you spend as much as you have, and it is very true! If you anchor out and do most of your own routine maintenance I think the comparable costs between power and sail for snowbirding like you are planning are very similar.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:30   #6

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. 53 foot U.S. flagged yacht here, so hope you don't mind me providing some input. We have lived aboard now 13 years and have averaged $2,000 USD a month over that period. We have always been fully insured (both yacht & health), fly internationally once a year, leave the yacht in a marina 5 months of the year and keep it maintained to a high standard. So, add your monthly fuel costs to the above and you will start to get a "ball park" figure to work on. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:40   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
For one thing, the cheapest fuel is available along the ICW in various places like Coinjock, NC, for instance. You will fill up there before heading north or south and save a fortune over New England prices.
I'd be very careful about generalities that might have been true a few years ago. It's quite difficult to get good fuel pricing in North Carolina today since they changed their tax structure a couple of years ago. Getting fuel at places like Top Rack in Chesapeake, VA or some of the marinas in Portsmouth/Norfolk can almost always do better in price. Right now - that'll change too.

There are a lot of places where you can get very good deals on fuel in New England. Heading to Sea Fuels in Bedford, MA or Maine Coast Petroleum (barge) in Rockland, ME often have great prices. That will change too and it's common for a place who wants to sell now to drop their prices.

One of the nice things about a trawler is that they generally carry a fair amount of fuel. Our tanks hold 1,000 gallons so I can pick and choose the places to get fuel. All it takes is a good web site that can track these types of things and provide the information at the time when you need it. And I know just the place...
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:53   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
All it takes is a good web site that can track these types of things and provide the information at the time when you need it. And I know just the place...
Where Jeff? Where?
Old 16-02-2011, 19:33   #9

Boat: Lagoon 38
Thinking about a Bayliner 4550 pilot house with Hino engines. How fuel effeceint are they cruising at 6 knots and how dependable?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 05:17   #10

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I think I have a good baseline number now to work from.
Sailing-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 06:00   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38
No being a trawler guy or in the market for 1000 gallons of fuel at a time I will defer to Jeff on where to get the best current price. And, at 1000 gallons every 10 cent difference saves you $100! Just for example, I've seen a difference of $1.00 per gallon between the Carolinas and some popular New England marinas. Another great place for fuel pricing is Claiborne Young's Web site: Cruiser's Net
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 22:45   #12

Re: Operationg Costs of ~50' Trawler or Trawler-Like Boat

We owned a wooden 50' displacement trawler for 8 years, moorage , insurance, haulout, about 6000.00/ year fuel was 4gals/hr canadian gallons about 5 u.s. that included 8kts, generator about 3 hrs/day plus we ran a Dickenson diesel stove to heat water all the time on low, Beufort model, biggest one they make, great stove we miss it, 21 cu. ft fridge with icemaker, inverter system. Lived like kings and thats averaged out over 2 month trips but still cruising about 1600 miles/ year.
We have just bought another trawler and did a lot of research on fuel, this boat is bigger not by choice it was just a good deal. 57' x 18'8" beam draws 6' 215 hp cat diesel full electric galley, hurricane heat, generators when we need them. Weighs 46 tons canoe stern, aluminum construction. It burns 4.5 USgals/hr plus heat and generator about another 5 gals/day. This is a big boat our last one had a 2 cycle detroit diesel at 9 kts burned 9 CDn gal/hr at 8 it burned 3.5 at 1400 rpm. Get a 4 cycle engine, lot quieter and easier on fuel.
I would only buy a boat with 1 main engine twins will cost you twice as much for maintenence, etc. less room. There are some good deals out there.

Our cruising has so far been done all on the west coast of British Columbia. It took me 1 week to sell our last boat and 4 years to find this one. It helped a lot that are dollar is at par with the U.S. dollar as well plus the economy has made used boats more realistic. When we cruise we always anchor out. Its a lot more relaxing.

Hope this helps
poplariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 12:23   #13

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

We live on a 63 ft steel trawler and spend about 20k on fuel and oil and another 20k on maintenance and travel about 4000 miles a year, but we do not stay at marinas. They will cost you up to $2/ft/day or as little as $1000/mo depending. We burn a little over a gallon a mile.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 13:20   #14

Sounds right I'm estimating about 10k for maintanece, moorage and ins. but things are cheaper in our area. other than fuel which we go stateside to get.
poplariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 11:32   #15

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

i'll mention the obvious just in case...with a 50 foot sailboat you are either inside and down below (no view) or outside exposed to the elements, sometimes in not too comfortable a cockpit. in a trawler you are usually above the waterline, unless asleep, and get to look out around you. always comfortable. no comparison, in my book.
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler