Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 00:18   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Ocean Yachts?

So my lifelong ambition of living on the water has come full circle over the last ten years. After meeting my now wife and Admiral I changed focus on owning a classic Hatteras to a sailboat, preferably a nice cruising cat. We are finally ready to pull the trigger got financing approval etc but we're pretty put off by most of the boats we looked at. Add to the fact that banks don't look kindly at cats, weather or not they were charter or not. So after a decade of looking we are back to the motor yacht, and we will save the Cat for retirement in twenty years or so.

So my question is how do Ocean Yachts measure up to say a Hatteras or similar brand. I did a lot of research on the Hatteras line but don't know much about Oceans. My wife really likes the look and layout of the Ocean 55 Super Sport but doesn't want to rule out the Ocean 48MY. There are number of 55's with rebuilt motors that are half of what we were going to spend on a cat. Anything I should know about before going out to look at a few.

Thanks in Advance
Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 11:13   #2

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Re: Ocean Yachts?

I have been on board both of those boats. Considered buying them also. Ocean 48 is beautiful. I did not like the low ceiling in the salon. It does have a stand-up engine room that was very nice. Twin 6 71 diesels. But with turbos. So that shortens the life of the engine. Each one about 450 horsepower .Nice three state room layout though. Be aware of leaky diesel tank. Especially in the forward compartment. No walk around decks. But that boat does make a nice dock queen.Ocean 55 is just a monster. I believe it has twin 8 V92 engines. 750 hp each.They also each have their own turbo.There is no stand up engine room. Very luxurious boat. Some people call the ocean 55 the flexible flyer. Because they flex so much while cruising at top speed. One of the folks in my Marina just recently sold their Ocean 55.They took that boat all over the gulf coast. Very nice boat. They used to like a trawler. That is really all I can help you with. I forgot to add. If it was my money I would go with the Hatteras if it was available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 11:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hatt is an outstanding boat, but so is an Ocean.
It's sort of like wondering, should we get the Mercedes, or the Land Rover, neither is a Chevrolet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:13   #4

Old thread, but as I am now looking at a 55 Super Sport, I am wondering if you bought one? If so can you tell me if you would do it again? They seem like a lot of boat for the money but I have my reservations.......
BeagleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're going to use the boat on the ocean, the engines should be part of the consideration. I don't think there is a more reliable engine than the 2 cycle Detroit Diesels, especially the 71 series. I've been running these engines almost 60 years. There's no circuit boards, no injector pump, no bleeding troubles, and parts are available everywhere. While the turbos do require more frequent overhauls, a careful operator/maintainer can achieve total hours near the non turbo version. Keeping the throttles below 80% can almost double the hours on the turbo version. Much better mileage, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht