Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 16:21   #1

Newport to Catalina- first time

I rented a 33 foot Formula and hired a captain to assist me in taking my first trip from Newport to Catalina on Saturday. I have rented this boat before, but never took a trip like this. I have only been boating about a year, so I am a little nervous about the trip. Conditions seem pretty good. Seas expected to be 2 feet, with winds increasing to 9 knots in the afternoon. I know that hiring the captain is a smart move, but I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me to help settle my nerves a little bit. Also, let me know if anyone else is going over.

Thanks!
j.lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 18:27   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Newport to Catalina- first time

It should only take about 1/2 hour in that boat, it'll take that long to get out of Newport at 5 kts. Most dangerous part of the trip will be passing in front of the Balboa Island ferry.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 19:58   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So I have done this with a friend in his 30 foot open boat out to the Channel Islands. 2 feet and 9 knots is calm and very doable. You don't have to do it flat out. Find a nice comfortable throttle setting and settle back and enjoy the ride. It'll probably be noticeably smoother on the ride home since wind and waves are out of the west. Watch for fog, shipping and whales. Have fun! You'll love it!
Welcome again BTW!
Also, you might want to get the BoatUS tow membership before you go, if you are not a member yet. It came in really handy for me once.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 22:06   #4

That’s what I was hoping to hear, so thank you. I have been looking forward to taking the trip, but I got a little overwhelmed. I am very passionate about boating now and have rented all in Long Island, Miami, West palm, Newport and Seattle. I study constantly, but there is a lot you can only learn out on the water. I have taken a short trip on the Pacific to Dana Pointe, but this seems very different.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else is making the trip, I would be happy to hook up.
Old 02-05-2019, 00:40   #5
cruiser

Back in the early 1980’s we used to make the trip over from near where the Cannery Restaurant now sits to Avalon in our O’Day 20 sailboat with 4-5 aboard. Lots of fun, even got lost in fog one time, but still managed to get there by following a Coast Guard cutter. Those were the days before gps, no working VHF and we didn’t have radar on such a small boat.

Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EBBEB86-5D02-4DD1-8E97-0E96DFC831EF.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	191245  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:25   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Newport to Catalina- first time

Enjoy your adventure. This should be easy and safe assuming the boat is in good condition and the captain is knowledgeable.

Still, it is a crossing on the Pacific Ocean to an island. That is the stuff dreams are made of. To help with your sea story afterwards you may want to know that Santa Catalina Island is not even on the North American tectonic plate. It and the other Channel Islands are on the Farallon Plate. So, by boat you have left North America and arrived at a wonderful and truly exotic destination. Bring sunscreen and cash. Have fun.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:16   #7

Boat: Catalina 34

Hi there!
Are you planning on picking up a mooring at Avalon, or anchoring?
If you plan to anchor or go back in the future, I highly recommend the book Anchoring At Catalina - No Mooring, No problem by Marc Hughston. It will give you all the cool places you can anchor at Catalina and not have to worry about getting a mooring OR paying the fees! I think you can get the book on Amazon, or directly from his website: www.santanasailing.com

You should be fine as there is rarely wind in the morning - starts picking up in the afternoon and if you've been watching the forecast you'll be in good shape! Have a blast!
CriCri
Old 02-05-2019, 09:21   #8

Boat: Boatless

Just go, in a few years you will giggle that this passage seemed “overwhelming.”

That’s how it works, keep pushing your comfort zone, in a seamanlike fashion of course.

All the books in the world are no substitute for experience.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:00   #9

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Let see , # 1 best time of the year to go to Avalon , everything open with 1/2 the tourist . # 2 easiest time to get a mooring , # 3 Island is GREEN and BEAUTIFUL , # 4 best sea food , The Lobster Trap , # 5 Best Dive bar , The Marlin Club , # 6 Karaoke every night at The El Gaillion # 7 I think I talked my self into it !!! see you there !!
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50   #10

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

No worries, no Tums or Rolaids needed. Just relax and have fun.

I grew up in the Newport to Alamitos Bay beach area as a boat rat kid. In high school, on calm days, my buddies and I would ditch school and head out of Newport in a Boston Whaler and hit Avalon to see what kind of fun we could get ourselves into.

Yes, I said a Boston Whaler.

All on board were excellent swimmers. We carried VHF's, life vests, signal flares, etc. and filed a float plan with the Harbor Patrol. We would stay in contact with other vessels on the same track. Sometimes, coming home we would hook ourselves up behind a sport fisher headed back and tuck into their flat spot and ride the wake all the way home. We all respected Mother Ocean and took all necessary precautions. This was a rotating group of about 10-15 kids that all grew up on boats. Sometimes we would take 2 Whalers and race.

Oh, the things you can no longer do in California now spelled with a "K".

Go have a great time and leave your nerves at the dock.
Old 02-05-2019, 18:04   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The trip to Avalon is easy in normal weather, especially from Newport. Should be an easy reach. Just start early so you can enjoy the day there. Make sure you have a mooring reservation, especially for your first trip.
Plan to shoot for Two Harbors (Isthmus Cove) on your next trip. A little longer trip and a more relaxing anchorage.

Soon you will want to sail around Land's End to Catalina Harbor, the other side of Two Harbors.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02   #12

Thank you everyone for your responses. Well, I made it. I actually did it twice. First day with a captain and the next day on my own. Of course it was a little rougher on the way back without the captain and tying up to the mooring didn’t go as smoothly when he wasn’t there, but that was to be expected. Otherwise, they were two amazing trips, I learned a ton and feel a lot more confident in my abilities. Having said that, I understand that the ocean is boss, things will go wrong and always stay very aware of all that is going on around you. Docking in the wind is a humbling experience, but it looks like I am not alone. Again, I appreciate the support from this group. It meant a lot.

Jordan
Old 06-05-2019, 17:17   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lev View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. Well, I made it. I actually did it twice. First day with a captain and the next day on my own. Of course it was a little rougher on the way back without the captain and tying up to the mooring didn’t go as smoothly when he wasn’t there, but that was to be expected. Otherwise, they were two amazing trips, I learned a ton and feel a lot more confident in my abilities. Having said that, I understand that the ocean is boss, things will go wrong and always stay very aware of all that is going on around you. Docking in the wind is a humbling experience, but it looks like I am not alone. Again, I appreciate the support from this group. It meant a lot.

Jordan
Great job! Congratulations! Now yer hooked I bet! Next time will be a full circuit around Catalina to go exploring, right? There's a lot of great places to explore, to dive, to fish... you'll have a great time!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 21:42   #14

I am hooked for sure. There is nothing like it! I heard that the other side of the island can get pretty rough, but I will put it on my list of adventures.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:12   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Well done Jordan. Each adventure is a step along your own particular path. Going on your own without the captain was a big plus for you. You will get the hang of picking up a mooring with practice and you can ask the harbor patrol for assistance. They would rather help a single hander than watch you get blown into other boats.

Did you go to Avalon or Two Harbors (Isthmus Cove)? Both are worth the trip but very different from each other. Avalon is more tourist developed. Two Harbors is more natural and undeveloped except for campgrounds, one restaurant and bar but still has some services like fuel, outboard mechanics and a small convenience store.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, newport