Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 23:02   #1

Boat: Boat owner hopeful
Newly Aquired Grand Banks Alaskan 49'

After years of looking through boat yards for a suitable power boat I finally made the commitment last month and bought a 71 Grand Banks 49-19 Alaskan. Several years ago I almost made a purchase on a FC (See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post665550 starting with Post #480)
and ultimately decided to keep looking. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for, but I knew it'd be really clear when I found it. I've posted some pictures below.

The boat is currently in the boat yard in Brookings, OR on stations while I re-calk and paint the hull, which is teak. I spent 6 hours sanding from the bow toward the stern from the water line to the keel Monday and got over 3/4 of hull on the port side done down to bare wood. I should have it totally sanded this weekend and then start removing old calking and cotton. My plan is to have everything done on the hull up to the top of the bulwark by the end of September when I plan to put her back in the water.

I plan to take lots of pictures as we take her through a total refurb inside and out and I'll post them here as we go if you all have an interest!

Gorbachov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newly Aquired Grand Banks Alaskan 49'

Congratulations!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:49   #3

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

Congrats!! She's lovely. I always liked the look of a pilothouse trawler with a Portuguese bridge. Good luck with your refit.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 07:36   #4

WOW! I think you're going to be happy with that one.
I have looked at Grand Banks before and always thought they were very nice.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:02   #5
Eternal Member

Congratulations....she's really lovely.

The GB49 Alaskan is one of the most beautiful trawlers ever built. She'll please you and anyone who sees her for many years to come.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:10   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Congratulations. I was a dealer for these boats back in the 80's. They are really great boats. None of my customers every found a reason to complain. When my sailing days are over I will no doubt own a Grand Banks.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 01:35   #7

Congratulations, that is a nice looking boat. Do you have an idea who designed them for GB?
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 00:05   #8

Here’s some pictures of the hull after sanding it. You can see the species changes in the last image, which is at the chine. The chine is purple heart with teak plank below and mahogany plank above. Most of my time over the last 8 weeks has been spent living aboard her while she’s in the boat yard and I'm discovering the hull is very sound with zero issues. Above the water line though there is a little dry rot in some of the planks, which for right now I’m going to use a wire wheel to grind the dry rot back to good wood, then use a composite to fill the void. I’ll eventually replace all these areas with new plank. We’ve been getting lots of rain lately and I’m finding he cabin and decks leak like a sieve, so most of my time has been fixing leaks top side.

Old 29-05-2013, 06:22   #9

Nice Woody Gorbachov. What is she fastened with? How long has she been out of the water? What are you going to use for caulk? Are there any plans to fiberglass the bottom? She certainly is a beauty. What kind of shape are the frames in? Looking at your pictures almost makes me want another woody. I would like to commend you for saving a beautiful boat that appears to be in great shape. Just remember freshwater is your enemy.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 07:00   #10

I'm sure you know this, but the best source of GB information is here:

Grand Banks Owner's Resources
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 13:19   #11

I've removed the bungs and screws about every 3' in the planks immediately above and below the chine to randomly check the fasteners. They are bronze and in great shape so it appears no new fastening of the planks in the hull is necessary. She's been out of the water in the Brookings Oregon harbor boat yard for about six months, which is where she was when I found and bought her.

The tsunami that resulted from the Japan earthquake in 2011 also hit the northern CA and southern OR coasts and did substantial damage in Brookings and other harbors. The "NOYO", which is my boat, was rammed on the port side by another boat during the event and took out the bulwark above the deck line and below the rail. The rail is in great shape, but I've got to replace about 30' of mahogany planks between it and the deck.

The boat sat in the water neglected by the original owner for close to 15 years and after the tsunami the owner abandon it. The Brookings Port Authority acquired title to her to pay back slip fees and I bought the boat from them as a derelict destine to be dismantled and scrapped. I only paid $12K for it, which is about what the 800 gallons of diesel fuel that's on board is worth, along with the two Ford Lehman diesel engines.

The hull is in exceptional shape and fiber glassing it is out of the question, as it would eventually decrease the hull's life expectancy versus extend it. I'm leaving the original cotton alone and using Sikaflex in the seams over it after cleaning up and removing old loose caulk. The only dry rot is above the waterline and that's been caused by a poor design in rain water drainage off the cabin roofs and decks, which I'm correcting.

Of the fresh water leaks, the one that's going to be most time consuming is re-caulking the seams of the 3/4" teak planks on the upper foredeck in front of the pilot house, which is leaking into the "V" birth. Other than minor dry rot in the planks above the waterline, the worst of it is in the exterior doors on the port and starboard sides of the pilot house, which I'm replacing with new ones after fixing the drainage problems causing it.

Probably as consuming is going to be restoring the dry rotted areas where steps go up from the side decks (breezeways) between the bulwark along the cabin walls of the salon to the upper foredeck. Water drains off the upper foredeck like Niagara Falls behind these steps onto the lower side decks. The bulkheads behind both sets of steps needs replacing along with the steps themselves on both port and starboard sides.

While it's in the yard I plan to do temporary fixes to these fresh drainage water problems and I'll save the permanent repairs till after the boat is in the water. My major effort while in the yard is being spent on sanding, caulking, repairing damage to the port side bulwark, and painting the hull up to the top of the rail on the bulwark, so I can get her back in the water by the end of September.

The interior of the boat is all teak, with incredible joinery and teak parquet floors. Other than some minor refinishing of some teak that has had rain water leaking in on it, the interior needs hardly any attention. The 1st thing I did after acquiring the boat was scrub the entire interior that was painted with bleach to eliminated whatever mold there was. I will eventually upgrade the stove, counter tops, and drapes but that's about it.
Old 30-05-2013, 13:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
I'm sure you know this, but the best source of GB information is here:

Grand Banks Owner's Resources
Thanks...I wasn't aware of this group and I've just joined!
Old 30-05-2013, 18:07   #13

Hey Gorbachov, that doesn't sound like a whole lotta work, considering the incredible deal you got on her. If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I would love to take a look at her. It sounds like they built her to last. Good luck to you Sir. May you be as happy with her in 20yrs. as you are now. Fair winds.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 18:31   #14

She's a beauty! Always wondered....What are the frames made of in those boats...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 18:43   #15

If someone wanted to visit this extraordinary boat - assuming permission were granted of course - would one find it in Brookings?

Charles
Nor'Sea 27 is offline   Reply With Quote