Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 19:15   #1
Registered User
 
Joey_81phantom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7
New To Boating And Need Help On Costs Please!!

Ok so I'm wanting to get a new boat that may be similar to a trawler. I want to have the nice living/kitchen/dining room and some rooms for about 7-10 people to sleep. But there are a lot of choices out there and I don't want to spend more than 20,000 on the whole thing. I need help figuring out what kind of boat is right for me, what I need to get it to me and into the lake, and how much the upkeep is going to be... Like fuel costs. Please help!
__________________

__________________
Joey_81phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:32   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: New to boating and beed help on costs please!!

GG on a budget...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:44   #3
Registered User
 
Joey_81phantom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7
What does GG mean? Hah
__________________
Joey_81phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:44   #4
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: New To Boating And Need Help On Costs Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_81phantom View Post
Ok so I'm wanting to get a new boat that may be similar to a trawler. I want to have the nice living/kitchen/dining room and some rooms for about 7-10 people to sleep. But there are a lot of choices out there and I don't want to spend more than 20,000 on the whole thing. I need help figuring out what kind of boat is right for me, what I need to get it to me and into the lake, and how much the upkeep is going to be... Like fuel costs. Please help!
You want a houseboat.. $20k might be a little thin, so patio boat might have to do.

Or maybe a fixer-upper like this
__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 20:07   #5
Registered User
 
ElGatoGordo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
GG on a budget...
Totally!

8 peeps, gonna be hard on 20K unless you're ready to completely gut a total wreck.
__________________
------------------
Gordo
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 20:37   #6
Registered User
 
Joey_81phantom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

You want a houseboat.. $20k might be a little thin, so patio boat might have to do.

Or maybe a fixer-upper like this
Would 30,000 be any different? What would I need to do this comfortably? And I still need to know the running costs. Thanks for you guys help.
__________________
Joey_81phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:02   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: New To Boating And Need Help On Costs Please!!

Please give more info. Sleep 7-10 how? Bunch of bachelors guys on a weekend getaway? a mom and dad with six kids and a couple friends?
House boats can be had pretty cheap. A big old powerboat could work.

Please give more info for what you want to do and how you want to do it.
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:13   #8
Registered User
 
CPseudonym's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Boat: Owens
Posts: 204
Joey you are looking for a smallish houseboat with your criteria/budget. Drop sleeping 7-10 people and you can get into a well found older power cruiser that could sleep 4-5 in reasonable, short term comfort.

Some of the older Land-n-Sea style trailerable 28' houseboats sleep 8+ people and are cavernous inside. The following link will take you to the blog of a friend of mine named Jeff who owns one and cruises it extensively. Not the most attractive boats in the world but they are very good at what they do.

http://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/?m=1

As to operating costs, that's like trying to nail jello to a tree. Some folks spend very little others of us spend our share plus theirs too. All depends on how yachtie ya want it to look and what size/where you berth it.

Good luck in your search.

Edit: meant to mention 36' Gibson houseboats. Dime a dozen and can be had for anywhere from $8,000-$25,000 depending upon age/condition. Tons of space and great on inland waterways.
__________________
Insert witty line here

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 23:56   #9
Registered User
 
Joey_81phantom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Please give more info. Sleep 7-10 how? Bunch of bachelors guys on a weekend getaway? a mom and dad with six kids and a couple friends?
House boats can be had pretty cheap. A big old powerboat could work.

Please give more info for what you want to do and how you want to do it.
It will most likely be bachelor guys. But there will be the occasional couple.
__________________
Joey_81phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 23:57   #10
Registered User
 
Joey_81phantom's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Joey you are looking for a smallish houseboat with your criteria/budget. Drop sleeping 7-10 people and you can get into a well found older power cruiser that could sleep 4-5 in reasonable, short term comfort.

Some of the older Land-n-Sea style trailerable 28' houseboats sleep 8+ people and are cavernous inside. The following link will take you to the blog of a friend of mine named Jeff who owns one and cruises it extensively. Not the most attractive boats in the world but they are very good at what they do.

http://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/?m=1

As to operating costs, that's like trying to nail jello to a tree. Some folks spend very little others of us spend our share plus theirs too. All depends on how yachtie ya want it to look and what size/where you berth it.

Good luck in your search.

Edit: meant to mention 36' Gibson houseboats. Dime a dozen and can be had for anywhere from $8,000-$25,000 depending upon age/condition. Tons of space and great on inland waterways.
I'm really against the house boat idea. What are these older powerboats your talking about? I can sacrifice sleep space if it means not having to go boating in a house boat. Thanks for the info by the way it really helps.
__________________
Joey_81phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 00:15   #11
Registered User
 
CPseudonym's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Boat: Owens
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_81phantom View Post

What are these older powerboats your talking about?
Think 27-35' Chris Craft, Tolly Craft, Owens gas powered boats. All 3 above brands where made in wood and fiberglass. Avoid the wood ones as a new boater(you'll have enough to learn without wood maintenance too) and stick with fiberglass.

Bayliner and Sea Ray in that size class are worth looking at too. Start looking at those on Yachtworld.com and see if any of those make sense to you.
__________________
Insert witty line here

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 00:16   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
I have always thought boats sleep only two people At least the ones I have owned...
__________________
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 00:19   #13
Registered User
 
CPseudonym's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Boat: Owens
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaubner View Post
I have always thought boats sleep only two people At least the ones I have owned...


Drink six, dine four and sleeps two is the ideal arrangement in my opinion.
__________________
Insert witty line here

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 00:30   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 124
Joey
The purchase price is only the beginning of cash outflow when you buy a boat. Moorage, repair and maintenance, fuel, insurance and registration fees etc. can be big ticket items.
__________________
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 01:59   #15
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
Joey
The purchase price is only the beginning of cash outflow when you buy a boat. Moorage, repair and maintenance, fuel, insurance and registration fees etc. can be big ticket items.
Money pit!!!
__________________

__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boating, lease

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.