Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 17:25   #1

New or Used Boat

1st boat buyer, looking for a power boat for family with 2 kids under 4yrs.
I have done some research on yachetworld, seems the sea ray have most boat used boats for sale.
My budget is 500K, but 400K with the boat will be comfortable as the rest for the gas & maintenance.
Cant decide a new sea ray 370 venture between a preowned mid-2000 450 sedan bridge.
Any one give some suggestion?
I am also open to other choice.
cnyifei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 17:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Where do you do your boating? I know it your first boat, but have you done much boating? Shoot me a PM if you'd like any help
Old 28-08-2013, 18:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Where do you do your boating? I know it your first boat, but have you done much boating? Shoot me a PM if you'd like any help
I live in south Vancouver where 10mins to across the border. Not too much boat experience, but a close friend does a lot and could accompany me for starting period.
Old 28-08-2013, 21:02   #4

If you are just starting out, suggest you charter one or more types of boats of the size you like before you make a buying decision. You should also look into some of the boating courses offered by the U.S. Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Aux. You live in one of the best cruising areas in the world, which means there are lots of boats moving around getting in your way. You also have weather and especially fog to contend with as well as lots of rocks in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.
Not to discourage you, but you need to do some prep work before you leave the dock.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 21:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
If you are just starting out, suggest you charter one or more types of boats of the size you like before you make a buying decision. You should also look into some of the boating courses offered by the U.S. Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Aux. You live in one of the best cruising areas in the world, which means there are lots of boats moving around getting in your way. You also have weather and especially fog to contend with as well as lots of rocks in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.
Not to discourage you, but you need to do some prep work before you leave the dock.
Thanks for the advice! Actually I have taken the course held by the Canadian yacht association and had a few on board experience for fishing and fun.
Despite lots of Rick in the sea, there are also many large loose wood sticks in the sea that makes the cruising more 'adventure'.
But never come to think about charter a boat.
Old 28-08-2013, 21:36   #6
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: New or Used Boat

Do some serious thinking about fuel. Gasoline powered boats will be cheaper both new and used but there are increased dangers with gasoline and generally you will go through more of it. Diesel boats will be more expensive to purchase but the fuel is safer and the fuel mileage is better.
There is a big difference in the ownership costs between a 37 and 45 foot boat, moorage, fuel, haul outs, bottom painting, even engine maintenance costs will be different.
Based in Vancouver as well PM me if you wish
Derick
Old 28-08-2013, 22:22   #7

I just saw one Marquis on sale here. Looks cool.
Old 29-08-2013, 04:42   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyifei View Post
1st boat buyer, looking for a power boat for family with 2 kids under 4yrs.
I have done some research on yachetworld, seems the sea ray have most boat used boats for sale.
My budget is 500K, but 400K with the boat will be comfortable as the rest for the gas & maintenance.
Cant decide a new sea ray 370 venture between a preowned mid-2000 450 sedan bridge.
Any one give some suggestion?
I am also open to other choice.

New boats depreciate pretty much like bricks: gravity works.

You see lots of Sea Rays because they make and sell lots of boats. And it's a decent mid-range brand.

It's not unreasonable to look at new-ish boats to find what models/features you might like... then go shopping for an older (pre-owned, aka used) version of that same boat.

Boats are complicated, so it's standard procedure to have a marine survey (inspection) and a mechanical survey (engine and genset inspection) done before finalizing the deal. Deal is contingent on good reports, and/or cost of fixes can be negotiated some more.

Diesel fuel is less expensive and gives better economy than gas... but diesel engines cost a lot more up front. If you might use the boat a lot, maybe diesels are better. If you might sit at the dock a lot, maybe gas is fine.

When viewing a boat, imagine how you might use it. By "imagine" I mean walk yourself through each process of doing something while on board.

Imagine going to bed at night. When do you put your clothes? Shoes? How easy is it to crawl into or out of that berth.

Or "imagine" fixing breakfast. Where's the skillet? Room for a toaster? Is the cooktop big enough? Is there an oven, for those nifty sweet rolls?

Or servicing the engine. Can you get there? Can you reach all the zinc anodes and replace easily? Can you change the water pump">raw water pump impeller easily? What about oil changes? Is it easy to add coolant? Or does all that require a small boy with special training and special tools, working behind engines upside down while whistling Dixie?

And so forth... for every individual maintenance/service task, for every basic living function, for all the fun stuff...

-Chris
Old 29-08-2013, 09:35   #9

Ranger has some good points for you.

Really look at how you will use it, not just the model in the brouchrer.

I'm also in the used boat catagory. Especially if it's your first boat, you probably will want to trade in once you learn what's really important to you. Better to lose 20% on a $50-100k used boat than 30-40% of a $400k boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:17   #10

Thanks ranger,

I probably go for a smaller used boat first. Say 20-30'?
I supposed the sea ray will retain better value when I trade in later due to the popularity, right?
Old 29-08-2013, 13:29   #11

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I would never ever buy a new boat! The main reason is your first boat is proable not the boat you really need/want. Plenty of used boat out there.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Ranger has some good points for you.

Really look at how you will use it, not just the model in the brouchrer.

I'm also in the used boat catagory. Especially if it's your first boat, you probably will want to trade in once you learn what's really important to you. Better to lose 20% on a $50-100k used boat than 30-40% of a $400k boat.
The boat is used for a weekend get away or just stay for overnight. After know what's important to me on board, I still need to get into the market to make an offer on a used boat. So what model do you suggest?
Old 29-08-2013, 13:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyifei View Post
Thanks ranger,

I probably go for a smaller used boat first. Say 20-30'?
I supposed the sea ray will retain better value when I trade in later due to the popularity, right?
Something in the 28-35' would be OK. When you get much smaller, it's not really usable as a cruiser and with kids you will be falling all over each other (if you just want to go out for day trips smaller is very workable).

Condition is everything. An abused searay can be worth less than a mint bayliner. Do pay for a professional survey. It's worth it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Something in the 28-35' would be OK. When you get much smaller, it's not really usable as a cruiser and with kids you will be falling all over each other (if you just want to go out for day trips smaller is very workable).

Condition is everything. An abused searay can be worth less than a mint bayliner. Do pay for a professional survey. It's worth it.
Oh, anther question. My boat safety course lecturer also works as a boat realtor &survey. He is trying to pushing the idea of realtor is necessary for a trade in boat like a real estate realtor. Is that true? Of course a good survey is necessary.
Old 29-08-2013, 13:45   #15

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

The best bang for the buck is Bayliner and SeaRay. After that you have to be more specific. We can walk you through the process of making an offer and buy a used boat. Even if you can pay cash I recommend using a bank/finance as they will make sure you do not go to far wrong. They usually have a list of recommend surveyors to use as that is one of the first steps is to have the boat surveyed/appraised.

I do not recommend a buyer broker as they can cause more trouble than they are worth as most seller brokers do not want to slit the fee. Boat brokers are not like land realtors. More like vehicle
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, used boat