Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 14:28   #1

New Member Have Many Questions

I just joined this site. Retiring next spring. Want to purchase a live aboard cabin cruiser around 30-40 feet. One that is older but in fair to great shape. $10,000 or so. Also need information on best live aboard marinas in Texas and Florida, both fresh and saltwater. Please help me. Thanks, Curt.
cuetip69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:52   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: new member have many questions

I think your budget is going to be rough. You can start searching with he below

Advanced boat search for new and used boats and yachts - YachtWorld.com
Old 23-03-2016, 15:33   #3

Your budget way too low for the size you list. If you buy a 40 ft for $10k, plan on easily putting $40k more into it. Of course an exception would be if you just want to tie it to a dock and live aboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:00   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuetip69 View Post
I just joined this site. Retiring next spring. Want to purchase a live aboard cabin cruiser around 30-40 feet. One that is older but in fair to great shape. $10,000 or so. Also need information on best live aboard marinas in Texas and Florida, both fresh and saltwater. Please help me. Thanks, Curt.
As others have said, $10 k isnt enough unless you plan on never leaving the dock. If you plan to just park it in an marina and live on it, you would probably get away with it -just! But if you plan on actually using it, that 10k will blow out very very quickly.

Btw. there is a massive difference in the size of a 30 footer to a 40 footer. To generalize each foot longer increases beam and headroom substantially.

Get you self down to a few marinas and talk to some owners. Most owners are happy to show off their boats. Once you get a look few a few, you will start to get an indication of what size you really need.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 03:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Curt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:09   #6

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Holy Cow! $10,000 is barely the price of a small runabout, used and needing repair! You either need to spend more time saving before buying, or get ready to do a whole bunch of expensive work on something in really down condition. I speak from experience, I have a 35 Pearson that I found as a derilect and I now have close to 40K in it! was it worth it? I don't know, I know I can't sell it for 40!!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:19   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I just ran you criteria on Yacht World and surprisingly there are a great many options if you don't get too area specific.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 11:07   #8

Boat: 44 foot Pacemaker Aft Cabin
Re: New Member Have Many Questions

At that price you should look at old wooden boats not in the best shape and/or repossessed boats. We found our 44' 1966 Aft Cabin Pacemaker at a brokerage handling bank repossessions asking $30K. After a couple years of looking at it and after verifying the engines and hull were sound, we offered $6K and accepted the bank counter offer at $10K. Since then (2009), we've put in over $40k for her restoration - wood rot repairs, replacing/overhauling the electrical, fresh water, black water, propane systems and appliances doing most of the work ourselves. We've yet to replace the original diesel generator and are in the process of replacing aging electronics. Take your time to carefully select your diamond in the rough but expect to put a lot into her to get her into live aboard condition. We're live aboard that are very glad we decided not to go below 40'.

Encourager
Encourager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 14:53   #9

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

If you just want to o be aboard at a marina I could live in a 30' sailboat but not a 30' motorboat. Now at 40' a couple could live on either so 1 person would be very comfotable. But the sailboat will always offer more living space per foot than a motorboat.

10k is not very much money. How can you even retire?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:09   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
But the sailboat will always offer more living space per foot than a motorboat.

What kind of motorboats is this topic about?

Not sure what a "cabin cruiser" is, but having I have never been on a motorboat that offers less space then a sailboat - quite the opposite.
Maybe true for what we call speedboats here, but those aren't exactly liveaboards either?
Old 24-03-2016, 18:27   #11

Boat: 44 foot Pacemaker Aft Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you just want to o be aboard at a marina I could live in a 30' sailboat but not a 30' motorboat. Now at 40' a couple could live on either so 1 person would be very comfotable. But the sailboat will always offer more living space per foot than a motorboat.

10k is not very much money. How can you even retire?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tuffr2, We switched from sailing to a power boat because of the HUGE difference in available living space per foot in a motor boat over that of a sailboat, pun emphasized. Much more living space and much larger windows that can open for much more view and airflow. Hopefully your post was in total jest because it is so opposite the easily provable truth. You'll get very little agreement from those of us who have experienced both worlds or spent some time around power and sail.

Encourager
Encourager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:39   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

What kind of motorboats is this topic about?

Not sure what a "cabin cruiser" is, but having I have never been on a motorboat that offers less space then a sailboat - quite the opposite.
Maybe true for what we call speedboats here, but those aren't exactly liveaboards either?
I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if the poster just got confused in his wording. A 30ft power boat has a lot more living space than a 30ft sailboat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 18:48   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I just ran you criteria on Yacht World and surprisingly there are a great many options if you don't get too area specific.
Yes, totally agree. In Ohio many people have bailed from their power-boats due to the last economic downturn and the cost of fuel. Yes, things have rebounded but not so much in the boating market. Yes, $10,000 is a bit low but I say save-up a few more bucks and give it a go. As to live-aboard marinas, go to Activecaptain or waterwaysguide.com or marinas.com and you will find what you want. These links should be at the head of every page on CruisersForum as we get asked this question two or three times a week. Use the internet folks, it's a wonderful thing.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 19:13   #14

If OP has good DIY skills it may be quite doable. Several years ago, the spring after Sandy, I was at a small local riverside marina, all power boats, and I met a guy there who picked up from an insurance/salvage auction in NY/NJ area a diesel powered 31ft trawler for $1,000.00. Sure it needed some interior work, repaint deck and topsides, etc. But the guy brought it to MA on its own power and was happy as a clam since he planned it for a liveaboard and Great Loop travel.

The reason I was there was a 28ft power boat which a friend of mine has asked me to look into as he had a chance to get a mooring not too far from mine and was going to use it as a fishing and chill out summer pad for his family. The asking price was $2,800 incl. the club membership which was $1,000 value by itself. By the time I got to talk to the owner he lowered the asking price to $2,000 and was open to offers for immediate sale. My friend did not move fast enough and that boat sold within a few days. Was your regular Bayliner/Searay 30 year old but the gas engine started and other than its age everything was there for immediate use and occupancy. It's only noticeable great fault was that it needed a new canvas.

The deals are there but may be just not where you live.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 21:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Here, on the US West Coast, there are several boats for sale, 40'+ for under $10,000. They are wood. But they need lots of work. If you know marine carpentry, that may work for you. If you don't know marine wood working or are a house carpenter, buy a fiberglass boat.
For a less expensive boat look in Craig's list rather than yachting sites. Search for "project boat".
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member