Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-04-2014, 16:43   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Needing help

Used to run a 36' Pescomore (sp?) Sportfisher with twin merc 454's, would put three extra 60 gl blue plastic fuel drums on the swim platform and run out to the middle grounds for a week of fishing. The big gas motors were thirsty, but they were good durable motors. If I remember right one ran backwards, had a different distributor and cam I think.

Old 03-04-2014, 16:44   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oh, and I still want to see a big Hatteras on a forklift, that would be a sight

Old 03-04-2014, 18:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

31 searay, $9500 dual engines. runs good. 31 ft searay cabin cruiser twin engine

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 20:53   #34

Sean386

Stacked storage is a good idea if you are an occasional user of the boat. You don't have to deal with bottom cleaning, electrolysis, bird droppings and such if you are out of the water. Also many 28 -31's are I/O's which is one more metal part in the water to deteriorate. As long as the stack storage can accommodate a 31's length and weight it's a good solution for you.
I live on an island and my 28' boat is in a slip a short walk away, I call it my waterfront condo because I spend more time sitting and relaxing that I do out on the water. It has twin 350 EFI gas engines and will burn lots of fuel at cruise. Southern California is short on public moorages, so you run 26 miles to Catalina, or tour the Long Beach or Los Angeles Harbor then return.

The 31 SeaRay express referred to in the post is a good price comparable for that age, length and style of boat. Most will have twin engines and some have generators. All mfgs. will have different layouts and I suggest you and your wife spend some time walking through for sale boats to get an idea of the interior layout as it relates to your needs.

It's a good time to be a buyer and once you have a firm idea of a boat style that fits your needs, you can work on the pricing. Find and use a recommended surveyor for the hull and if the engines have 500+ hours or do not appear to have been well maintained, have them surveyed also, along with an oil analysis.

Remember the purchase price is only the beginning. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:10   #35

Thanks for your reply,
With my budget, I figure that I can find a $40k boat and they will take $30k for it, I've been looking around and there are thousands of boats for sale...so I guess I have lots of wiggle room with that much cash.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:19   #36

Thank you for the advice, that's what I need... Your setup is what I am trying to achieve, I want a nice good running boat but I will hardly ever take it out because I have a couple of waverunners for that so Its a condo for me...Relaxing and enjoying life is what I am looking for.If you have any advice on what manufacturers to look at and which to avoid would be appreciated.....

Stacked storage is a good idea if you are an occasional user of the boat. You don't have to deal with bottom cleaning, electrolysis, bird droppings and such if you are out of the water. Also many 28 -31's are I/O's which is one more metal part in the water to deteriorate. As long as the stack storage can accommodate a 31's length and weight it's a good solution for you.
I live on an island and my 28' boat is in a slip a short walk away, I call it my waterfront condo because I spend more time sitting and relaxing that I do out on the water. It has twin 350 EFI gas engines and will burn lots of fuel at cruise. Southern California is short on public moorages, so you run 26 miles to Catalina, or tour the Long Beach or Los Angeles Harbor then return.

The 31 SeaRay express referred to in the post is a good price comparable for that age, length and style of boat. Most will have twin engines and some have generators. All mfgs. will have different layouts and I suggest you and your wife spend some time walking through for sale boats to get an idea of the interior layout as it relates to your needs.

It's a good time to be a buyer and once you have a firm idea of a boat style that fits your needs, you can work on the pricing. Find and use a recommended surveyor for the hull and if the engines have 500+ hours or do not appear to have been well maintained, have them surveyed also, along with an oil analysis.

Remember the purchase price is only the beginning. Good luck in your search.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2014, 14:01   #37

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Sean, stacked storage are also sometimes called boatels...

You saw the early reply to check out Yachtworld.com. Do that, and look at Sea Ray SUNDANCER models to get an idea about sizes and prices. I mention this specific style because they generally have two main berths, one forward, and one aft roughly underneath the bridge deck. That lay-out may speak well to your requirement to sleep four. (Sometimes you can even squeeze in a couple small kids in a dinette that converts to a berth... but then that can get to be work.)

If that idea looks promising, then check out similar layouts in models by Cruisers, Rinker, FourWinns, Silverton, and whatever other brand names I can't remember off-hand...

Confirm specifically with the marina the overall weight, length, and beam they can handle with their lifts.

Given that you envision this as a condo, you probably don't need a model with a generator... which may simplify things anyway, since gensets are pretty much stuffed in with a shoehorn, often impacts accessibility to maintain or service other stuff. And that would also bring the cost down.

If you can home in on models that suit, but nothing on yachtworld in your target area (easy purchase) or price range, then local magazines and Craigslist might surface good examples for actual consideration.

Spending much time in these is like living in a cave, unless you have good canvas over the bridge deck and maybe the cockpit, too. A likely boat but without good canvas is easily fixable, with some extra $$

-Chris
Old 07-04-2014, 15:39   #38

GPsocal, Thanks for the info...I have looked at a regal commodore and I liked that because it had a little more berth than some, I am also going to look at a Maxum this weekend that is in good shape but they have said that one of the trims doesn't work (not really an issue for me) but it could help me on cost if I like it, They are asking $28k. Its a 2009 3000scr.... the two drystack marinas have both said as long its under 20,000lbs and 40 feet and T-tops up to 14 feet it will fit.

Again, Thanks for the information...I really appreciated it.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19   #39

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Ah, yeah... Regal, Maxum, Formula...

-Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: