Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-04-2014, 16:42   #16

Re: Needing help

point taken, I'll shed a little light upon myself, I am a few months shy of being 50..so I am hardly the loud stereo making a lot of noise getting completely trashed redneck... and I do side with you about PWC'S to a point, its not the PWC'S its the rider, most of the time when I see someone acting up on their ski's they usually are young and dumb, so I will at least agree to that. They give the responsible rider a bad name. I joined here because I am looking to learn and get advice, my situation is that I would like to find a boat for me and my wife to enjoy on long weekends (Charleston is a 3 hour drive for us) and we are there a lot...we both are self employed and looking for a place to relax and be near the water and get away from everything. We are not interested (at this point) in cruising the ICW we are just looking for a great boat to enjoy some R & R without a ton of maintenance or hassle.

Thank you for your help

Old 02-04-2014, 17:13   #17

Sorry I have to add to this
The op asked reasonable questions for someone who enjoys being on the water and maybe in the future , progress to longer trips in a suitable craft.
Why the sail oriented replies in a power boat category of this forum, are we now a sailing clic that no PWC owner can write in ?
I have my RYA YM sail and powerboat II .... And owned a PWC after owning racing dinghys and 22-30 ft fast motor cruisers, I probably did more miles on my PWC than most armchair sailors on this forum!
Am I now , only to post questions about my next passage with a sailing cruiser?
As for stack storage , I cruised over 3000 miles on my 22ft Sealine it handled F7 around the Lizard in the English Chanel and that would fit on a rack, op a reasonable question to me!

Old 02-04-2014, 17:18   #18

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

That sounds like a good deal $2.50 a night for power if the ceiling is tall enough I'll move in close to home, they must have one hell of a fork lift.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:40   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah where mu boat is now Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona, a slip rent for one week is $450, a little steep methinks
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39   #20

Thank you hoof, that's why I have my PWC'S because they average about 8 miles to the gallon and when gas is $5 a gallon at the marinas, its a no brainer to me...also, my apologies, the website for the marina does not state the forklift can lift a 40' boat, it states it can lift up to 20,000 lbs...

This is the link to the website Ripley Light Marina Dry Stack - Charleston, SC

According to the guy I spoke with at the marina its $13.50 per month per foot for inside rack storage and if I pay annually they will give me a 10% discount.

Again, I am just looking for guidance of the make/model of boat and what I should be wary of in my boat search.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
That sounds like a good deal $2.50 a night for power if the ceiling is tall enough I'll move in close to home, they must have one hell of a fork lift.
If you are in Georgetown maybe you can give me advice on where to eat and hangout, we have 3 guys (all middle aged) riding the waverunners to Georgetown from Charleston next month and staying a couple of nights... any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The power cruisers with dual engines, especially those with twin 454's! are cheap right now. You dont care much about gas as you wont drive it much. Check out boats on Craig's list and look for the ones with big dual engines. They're giving them away. You can probably get a 28 for $5k.
Why are the sailors on this forum bitching? This isnt your category guys... go back where you belong.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01   #23

Cheechako,

Thanks for the response, I would be wary of a boat that cheap...my budget will go to around $30,000

I figure if someone is asking $35-$40k they would probably take $30k cash or less.

I do need the engines to at least run enough so when the boat is placed in the water they can move it to a slip.

So do the 454's have reliability issues or is it they are heavy on fuel? and that's why they are cheap?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:26   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean286 View Post
Cheechako,

Thanks for the response, I would be wary of a boat that cheap...my budget will go to around $30,000

I figure if someone is asking $35-$40k they would probably take $30k cash or less.

I do need the engines to at least run enough so when the boat is placed in the water they can move it to a slip.

So do the 454's have reliability issues or is it they are heavy on fuel? and that's why they are cheap?
Yeah, I hear ya, you get what you pay for. No problems, just gas hogs. You see people start out at $22k and eventually they are down to $9995 /offers!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:19   #25

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

sean286,

Spending $30k does not guarantee a good boat or good motors. as Cheechako said 30 to 36 foot express cruisers are NOT what is selling these days. I really nice one should go for around $20k with a good survey and equipment as well as a very clean interior. You will find one with a 4 or 5 kw generator as well. That will come in handy if you do decide to anchor out away from all the dock noise once in a while.

Good luck with your search.

Bill
Old 03-04-2014, 15:21   #26

With your budget and desire I would think buying a nice glass cruiser with twin gas might be a great idea. For 30k you can buy a boat and repower with a pair of new Crusaders. Think about how nice it would be to have two brand new engines in your boat. None of the hassle of dealing with someone's old worn out engines.
Old 03-04-2014, 15:40   #27

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean286 View Post
If you are in Georgetown maybe you can give me advice on where to eat and hangout, we have 3 guys (all middle aged) riding the waverunners to Georgetown from Charleston next month and staying a couple of nights... any advice would be appreciated.
Stop in at The Boat Shed Marina you can leave your wave runners there. 3 1/2 blocks north on Saint James street there is a Budget Inn, good eats and drinks on Front Street.
Old 03-04-2014, 15:44   #28
cruiser

I'd govfor a '70s Hatteras with twin gas. The '43 dc are pretty spacious. Seems to be an abundance of stylish salty looking hatteras from 36'-43' for little money. Look on yacht world and take 30% off asking.
Old 03-04-2014, 16:17   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

God, I can remember when hat's were THE boat to have, has it really come to this?
Old 03-04-2014, 16:39   #30
cruiser

There pretty cheap if they have twin 454s, nice boats though. Priced from 25k to 75k, not at all set up to go anywhere. Dock queens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: