Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33   #46

I've been lurking here, but that was my first post. I also spend time on the Hull Truth.

Having spent a lot of time with motorsports in general, I've done my share of buying/selling what seemed to be a "sure thing" good deal. Motorcycles/snowmobiles/boats/old cars etc. From my handle, you can tell I run around in the summer in an old CJ Jeep....

I think it's only human nature to seek out positive reinforcement on a decision, from the peers in the same sport (space). There's countless sites for enthusiasts talking about all aspects of the "thing" or what you can accomplish with the "thing". It's awesome.

So my point is that I've done the same thing. I made big mistakes and couldn't believe I was getting contrarian advise on my (supposedly awesome) decision. (IMHO) Initial reading of your post was that you were already "down the road" with this boat. It seemed when others had points on why it might not be a good thing, you seemed defensive. It's easy for me to say, when I'm not involved in the emotion of the deal. It looked like there a lot of experienced, level headed advise coming at you.

My boating experience comes from 3 separate times in my life when I was boating. As a kid, we had a 14' w/ 7.5 hp McCollouch (yeah, the chaisaw co.). I ran many tanks of gas just zooming up and down a small lake in Maine. I could of swore it did 40 mph with just me in the boat....8^ )

Later I sailed with my cousin on the Cape in a 41' Morgan Out Island. Loved it so much, I spent 26 days in a wooden boat with Outward Bound @ Hurricane Island in Maine, really leaning to sail. Having had to spend considerable time looking down into a wooden bilge and bailing, rather than looking at the scenery is no picnic.

These days I have been spending my time in motor boats. Mostly center consoles for beaching with my daughters and fishing. I am destined for a Walk Around this year. As my daughters get older, I want something I can overnight. I am planning a boat trip to the coast of Maine this summer, to see the lobster boat races, do some fishing with buddies......

There's a trawler/displacement hull type cruiser somewhere in my future. From where I am (North of Boston) there a smaller loop using the Hudson River, up through the canals of NY state, but eventually I'd like to take a concerted amount of time and do the Great Loop.

It's awesome that you are off to look at Blue Water boats. Love to see what you are looking at, +/- of each and the decision which way to go. Keep us posted. Just my .02

JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:48   #47

Should have shared a post I am following on THT. Good read and germane to the topic....

The Great Loop - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

As you read through, click on the "Only in America". It's touching.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40   #48
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

Hi Jeep.... gave up on page one.... different strokes for different folks... seems everyones doing it as the next tick on the list for bragging rights in the bar... not for the voyage and stopping and enjoying locations along the way.... 4 to 6 weeks... if you don't want to stop and savour things do aW - E nonstop Atlantic crossing... takes about the same time in a sailboat...
“I do not exist to impress the world.
I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy. ”

boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03   #49

THT does have a lot of swashbuckling and egos going about. It can be difficult to sort the BS, but there is a certain entertainment value (depending on your perspective) to it.

Once you parse the crap, there's a lot of good info from those who have done it.

Here's the "Only in America" piece/book I spoke of:

OIA Media Group - T

The YouTube clip is worth a watch too. I did order a copy of the book.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:57   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
I love the look of wood...BUT...wood is for those who like to work on wood or pay others to work on wood. I do truly love looking at well taken care of others. It's always free for me to look at it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 15:51   #51

Some people cruise for long periods on very small, very primitive boats. Robin Lee Graham, Lin and Larry Pardey, the recent round-the-world non-stop on a 22 foot race boat all attest to this. Some more examples:

Drascombe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and see especially the section called "Small-boat Cruising" near the end.

You are not alone in your expectation that you can cruise on a boat that seems much too small to most people.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 16:05   #52

I prefer some boat under and around me for the comfort of a long haul; however there's always seems to be an argument for the wee ones. This boat was reputed being 100 years old when it began it's journey; it's now 100 years since then. Over 200 years old for a small wooden boat that circumnavigated.
Tilikum :: Captain Voss :: Victoria BC | The Maritime Museum of British Columbia
Tilikum (boat) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: