Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 07:38   #1

Boat: Queenship 76
Motor Yacht Charter Business

I am considering putting a 60 to 80 ft moter yacht into the charter business in the USVI / BVI or St Martin

Any comments or advise?
Have been sailing and promotioning our villa in USVI. Dealing with brokers etc

TP
tedprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Motor Yacht Charter Business

i know of an italian cruise ship captain that will soon be looking for a job if ya need a skipper!
welcome to the forum!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 02:07   #3

Could you take some photos tedprosser? I would like to see your boat.
Old 29-01-2012, 03:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tedprosser, and marge12.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 17:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

I apologize for responding to this thread so late as this message must have gotten lost in my inbox. However, I currently own an 80' San Lorenzo that one may find suitable for chartering as this is my intent for the boat. If you may have an interest or know of someone that does I would consider selling or partnering with someone to get the boat into charter. In addition, I have done a fair bit of research on different regions and have found that the BVIs may be the best fit for this type of of charter operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1127186412.png
Views:	237
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	49883  
Everestmaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 05:14   #6

Boat: Queenship 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everestmaritime
I apologize for responding to this thread so late as this message must have gotten lost in my inbox. However, I currently own an 80' San Lorenzo that one may find suitable for chartering as this is my intent for the boat. If you may have an interest or know of someone that does I would consider selling or partnering with someone to get the boat into charter. In addition, I have done a fair bit of research on different regions and have found that the BVIs may be the best fit for this type of of charter operation.
I would be very interested in partnering and possibility purchasing at a later date

I agree the BVI and USVI are great charter spots. I have contacts in both.

Captain Ted Prosser
tedprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:14   #7

Re: Motor Yacht Charter Business looking for partner

I'm looking to partner with some folks on a 75ft-85ft motor yacht...Probably a flybridge or express crusier in the med. I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I don't want to invest more than $400k in the boat and the goal is to charter for $15k-$20k per week . Send me a message if you are interested...
borabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by borabora View Post
I'm looking to partner with some folks on a 75ft-85ft motor yacht...Probably a flybridge or express crusier in the med. I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I don't want to invest more than $400k in the boat and the goal is to charter for $15k-$20k per week . Send me a message if you are interested...
I would like to know more. Don't know how to contact you offline.
rtimmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Interesting idea. I am planning to do the same thing. I spent 2010 - 2012 in the BVI and the last year in St Maarten and have done extensive research on the market. I am a former yacht broker and see an opportunity now given the current boat market and the minor economic recovery taking place. The crewed motor yacht charter market has been in the dumps for the last 4-5 years but seems to be coming back slowly. Any boat over 90' ($100k and up) has been chartering very little if at all and there is a lack of charters available in the 70'-90' range under $40k. Unfortunately the boat market is starting to rebound and the inventory of cheap 70'-90' motor yachts for sale is disappearing now. I know I have been following it and am ready to buy. I have spent a lot of time in both the BVI and St Maarten talking with the charter crews and learning the markets. The BVI is a non starter for a number of reasons, and St Maarten presents a better base opportunity with the option of doing pickups in BVI. I have been to several of the charter brokerage shows in the Caribbean and networked with a lot of the brokers that book the charters to get a feel for what I am planning and will probably be purchasing a vessel and getting started in the next 6-12 months. Be careful of your planning, the margins are not as large as they seem at first glance and the logistics of owning and running a crewed yacht in this size range is much more difficult, and costly down here than you imagine. Also the need to offer something different than the 10-15 boats you will be competing with in this area is very important. There is a big difference between an owner with a 125' yacht that has their boat in a charter pool for tax reasons (no profit) and buying a vessel to operate as a full time business (for profit). Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the docks down here.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00   #10

Boat: Ericson 41

I have two questions to this forum.
I have been playing with the same idea. I have been looking at boats in the 80 foot range. Older boat with 2 x 1000 hp use a lot of fuel, but if you go slow and not so far each day the fuel cost can be reduced significant. Most boat is made in wood or fiberglass, but some are in aluminum or steel. I wonder what will give less maintenance and problems. Wood is out of the question, and fiberglass is often good, but they can delaminate and soak water. Steel and aluminum are often not as sexy in form and shape, but they might last longer. Steel is heavy, so then aluminum might be a good candidate?
Any comment on this?
My second question is about classification of length of a boat. I have only license to take boat up till 24 meters in length, but some boats at 27 meters are registered as 24 meters? How can that be?
The boat I am looking at got a total length of 26.7 meters, but I hope it too can be registered as 24 meters or less.
Regards
Svein
sveinutne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, motor, motoryacht, yacht