Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2013, 18:52   #1

Motion at Anchor

First off hello everyone, I'm totally new to this site but looking forward to reaping the benefits of other peoples experience.

In a nutshell, my wife and I are thinking of buying a powered boat, probably around 45ft, flybridge, twin engine, around 10 years old. We are looking at Princess, Fairline or Sealine. We would live on the boat for maybe 5 or 6 months a year in a tropical location (SE Asia). Both of us have several years experience on sail boats, again around the 45ft mark. We have very little experience on motor cruisers.

My questions is, compared to a sailboat, what is the motion of a similar sized motor cruiser like at anchor?

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2013, 20:14   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Motion at Anchor

Worse then either a Mono or a Cat, but the different motion can be cured with a steading sail or set of para vanes on each side ! Para vanes work the better of the two. Also some styles have been know to sail around a bit! some large cockpit boats sail a bunch, and without proper anchoring equipment have been known twist there anchors up and drag !! Ive spent many nights at anchor with both power boats and Mono hulls, and prefer the mono any day ! just my 2 cents

Old 06-03-2013, 06:07   #3

I think the answer depends partly on the hull design of the power vessel. If you get a deep hull displacement vessel with a keel (or twin bilge keels) you get closer to the action of a sailboat. We do not usually get the "sailing around" effect with our Selene 47 (5.75ft draft). As you get to "flatter" bottoms in planing or semi displacement vessels they tend to "sit' on top of the water and are much more prone to the wind/wave action at anchor.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, James.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50   #5

A lot depends on the particular boat, and it goes without saying it depends on the harbor. In a well-sheltered harbor almost anything would be comfortable. I don't know if it is an option on the boats you are looking at, but I have found on sailboats, catamarans, and trawler yachts having a snubber line led from a bow eye down near the waterline can greatly reduce yawing at anchor, and reduces the amount of chain you put out to have adequate scope. With the high bow and high position of the bow roller on typical power craft they are prone to blowing around a lot at anchor, putting the boat at various angles to the waves in the harbor. If you can keep the bow pointed into the wind powercraft can be very comfortable. On the other hand, if the seas are coming in at an angle to the wind you can get a very uncomfortable snap roll at anchor.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by James59 View Post
First off hello everyone, I'm totally new to this site but looking forward to reaping the benefits of other peoples experience.

In a nutshell, my wife and I are thinking of buying a powered boat, probably around 45ft, flybridge, twin engine, around 10 years old. We are looking at Princess, Fairline or Sealine. We would live on the boat for maybe 5 or 6 months a year in a tropical location (SE Asia). Both of us have several years experience on sail boats, again around the 45ft mark. We have very little experience on motor cruisers.

My questions is, compared to a sailboat, what is the motion of a similar sized motor cruiser like at anchor?

Thanks.
We have sat comfortably at anchor and watched nearby motor boats roll their guts out as they just don't have the Moment of Inertia of a sailing yacht. The cure is outriggers and "flopper stoppers" or, to a lesser extent, a riding sail that can be rigged from even a vestigial signals/flag mast as one commonly sees on Trawler type yachts.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:44   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 12-03-2013, 00:30   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Boats will all "roll." Best to have living spaces close to the center of rotation
(near the waterline).

(The ketch on the left if violating instructions by not being bow-oriented toward the cove's entrance. Boats are moored fore and aft.)
Old 12-03-2013, 00:42   #9

Most "cruising" motorboats have living spaces above the engine room, thus well above the boats' waterline. There are exceptions; however, for instance:

Old 17-03-2013, 15:27   #10

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

If you are doing a boat from scratch put a 7-10kw gen set and a small gyroscope in it then no rolly and no problem.
Old 19-03-2013, 03:06   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Boats will all "roll." Best to have living spaces close to the center of rotation
(near the waterline).

(The ketch on the left if violating instructions by not being bow-oriented toward the cove's entrance. Boats are moored fore and aft.)
What is it violating?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:35   #12

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
What is it violating?
Instructions, apparently.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:03   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I've never anchored a powerboat but I will tell you that setting a bow & stern anchor is just great. When everyone else is flopping around, we're just riding out the waves, pointed right into them.
Of course, this requires a large anchorage or one that everybody anchors bow & stern.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

Instructions, apparently.
From who?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:08   #15

The CA state park system.

Unfortunately, the fore-and-aft mooring system is laid out crosswise to the tidal currents, but then the wakes do mostly come from the cove's entrance.

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: