Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2011, 20:46   #16

Re: Minimum Range for Circumnavigation of the Americas

RainDog: You are right. Looking at Google Maps there are not too many cities/ports between Ushuaia and Conception on the Chilean coast. I still seems that it would be still doable with a 1200nm range trawler.

markpierce: The Seahorse Diesel Duck seems to be a viable alternative to the usual Nordhavns and Kadey-Krogens. I did not see any pricing (even just "base" price mentioned on the website). I will add them to my "to be checked out at a boat show" list.

Looking some more I saw the $499 k price with delivery in Hong Kong.

Old 24-07-2011, 22:07   #17

Diesel Duck .... heh ... not seaworthy ... if the poor attention to detail during construction doesn't get you the rolling will ... BlueTreasure Blog | Chasing the blue dream!

Old 25-07-2011, 07:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Diesel Duck .... heh ... not seaworthy ... if the poor attention to detail during construction doesn't get you the rolling will ... BlueTreasure Blog | Chasing the blue dream!
I was worried about the "limited warranty part". Investing half a million and then not even have a warranty you can rely on sounded dangerous.
Old 25-07-2011, 23:44   #19

Looking for ocean-going trawlers in the 40-45 feet category, are Nordhavns (43) and Kadey-Krogens (44) considered the safest (but most expensive) options?

How about other manufacturers from Selene Seattle 42 and 45 and Great Harbor N47 to Grand Banks 41 Heritage.
Are they considered to be more coastal versus bluewater trawlers?
What other models would be in the top 5 (bluewater capable and at least 1200nm range)?
Old 26-07-2011, 10:01   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The more recently built Selene's are pretty good boats, better than their first effort about 10 years ago... also DeFevers and Flemings are fine sea boats. The lines are almost identical and their was some controversy over how Fleming so closely followed the DeFever design.
The older Grand Banks were somewhat narrow and the roll and pitch if they weren't stabilized could be quite uncomfortable.
Nordhavens are bullet proof but can pitch in a head-on buck, particularly if the wave interval is short, strong boats nevertheless.
These opinions based on coastal passages of over 500 miles on each of these different vessels... all are capable of at least 1500 miles... just my opinion. Capt Phil
Old 26-07-2011, 10:14   #21

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with the Great Harbor models. They advertise the benefits of having 2 engines in case the single engine dies on you.
Old 26-07-2011, 10:28   #22
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Minimum Range to do Circumnavigation of the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
At $3 per gallon (over estimating cost, just to get an idea of the totals) that's only $1500 or so, which is still cheaper than airfare + hotel for the 3.5 days. Of course the full amortization would come up with something dramatically higher, but honestly I was thinking motoring was completely insanely expensive, more on the order of $15k for that trip.
You can get fuel for $3 per gallon? I paid $4.54 last weekend for diesel. 45 gallons cost me more than $200!
Old 26-07-2011, 11:01   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Bash... Amgine could be fairly close on the price of diesel in the PNW, particularly in Canada. The SF bay area is known to be one of the priciest spots in North America for fuel, diesel included. State, county, and municipal taxes, the whole 'boutique' fuel craze (a different blend for every day in the week!), extremely high costs for storage and delivery of marine fuels compared to other areas, layer upon layer of duplicate EPA laws, some conflicting with each other all contribute to the ripoff of fuel for boats in the bay area.
Doing deliveries up and down the coast, SF is the last place I would stop for fuel unless it was a real emergency and a bit of planning avoided that event.
All the more reason to sail the bay! Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 26-07-2011, 11:30   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Hawaii is down to $4.70 from $5.05 per gallon
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Not sure what you mean by poor attention do detail? Sounds like John Deere installed the wrong voltage pump and/or the replacement pump was also installed incorrectly.

I have been on one Seahorse built 462 once and I was impressed with the quality.

Here is a link to a blog of DD doing same trip around Cape Horn

Rounding Cape Horn | Diesel Duck
Old 09-09-2011, 01:27   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hey, Bash... Amgine could be fairly close on the price of diesel in the PNW, particularly in Canada. The SF bay area is known to be one of the priciest spots in North America for fuel, diesel included. State, county, and municipal taxes, the whole 'boutique' fuel craze (a different blend for every day in the week!), extremely high costs for storage and delivery of marine fuels compared to other areas, layer upon layer of duplicate EPA laws, some conflicting with each other all contribute to the ripoff of fuel for boats in the bay area.
Doing deliveries up and down the coast, SF is the last place I would stop for fuel unless it was a real emergency and a bit of planning avoided that event.
All the more reason to sail the bay! Cheers, Capt Phil
It may be worthwhile to explore inland of San Francisco Bay to the Delta where the fuel prices are lower.

(Suisun Bay, at the gateway to the Delta.)

Tags
circumnavigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: