Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2008, 08:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
20 gph at what speed? what rpm?

I haven't seen a trawler go anyplace at full or near full throttle.

Old 23-10-2008, 09:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I'd guess around 20 GPH total.

I don't like Detroits for the reason mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
20 gph at what speed? what rpm?

I haven't seen a trawler go anyplace at full or near full throttle.
Please see my above quote.

The OP was looking for an estimate. As with any WAG it's just that a WAG. Your results may differ.

Old 23-10-2008, 10:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonofPaw View Post
I can make the time and as a teacher I get a good amount of summer off so that helps as to money... well I'm a teacher so financing it is going to be the way to go.
I've met several teachers who sail the Bahamas in the summer. They all had sailboats. If you keep your boat in Florida, don't have to buy much fuel, and don't eat out often, the Bahamas are within easy reach and can be remarkably inexpensive for summer cruising.

A sailboat can't offer the same accommodations as a comparable length trawler, but in the Bahamas you want to spend your awake time outside anyway. Sailboats can be more expensive to maintain than trawlers because they have more systems, but with today's fuel prices sailboats are much cheaper to go places on; and this is so even if you run your sailboat's motor frquently.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 18:37   #19

Looks nice ,but it looks like she might be a bit rolly polly.Do a survey and a mechanical.Diesels hate to sit.
Old 23-10-2008, 19:48   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Since you intend to go to sea in this boat I think the safety and reliability issues are
paramount
. While such sea travel is possible in such a boat it is much safer, economical and more comfortable in a sailing or motor sailing vessel.For coastal and inland use this type of boat makes sense if you can afford the fuel and extra
maintenance
costs over the sailing type.
Old 25-10-2008, 14:49   #21

Boat: Pro-Line 32 Express "EASY GO"
Is it just me or does the keel look badly twisted in one of the photographs of the boat ashore on stands? From all the peeling paint and cosmetic problems in evidence you may have major problems with water damage/delamination etc. The boat could be a heartbreaker and bankbreaker, even if you are really handy and have lots of time to work on it.

The pluses are that Steve Seaton is a competent naval architect, and the builder was well regarded. If the boat is merely in need of cosmetic touch ups, it may be worth it. The GM's are very durable, but as other comments make clear they are noisy, crude, messy two-cycle engines that often spew exhaust smoke and spray oil around the engine room.

The key to the boat will be a thorough survey by a very experienced, knowledgable surveyor.
Old 25-10-2008, 15:18   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Oil leaking in Detroit's is usually from two areas..the air box's and letting them idle to much they tend to slobber into the exhaust ..Air boxes can be sealed properly it just takes the effort..

FWIW I have a 6-71 it burns 6 to 7 per hour @ 2200
Old 29-10-2008, 06:10   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Figure AT BEST, 2 MPG. Probably 1 1/2. Can you afford that?
If a trawler is what you are interested in, look at single engine, 120 hp 36' to 38' boats. Smaller dockage, smaller fuel consumption, less to maintain.
Your eyes are bigger than your wallet.
Old 29-10-2008, 15:43   #24
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Figure AT BEST, 2 MPG. Probably 1 1/2. Can you afford that?
If a trawler is what you are interested in, look at single engine, 120 hp 36' to 38' boats. Smaller dockage, smaller fuel consumption, less to maintain.
Yep.

Interesting, it seems to me that something around 36' is the most preferred length in both motor and sail for most cruisers looking for the optimum balance between room and manageability. Money doesn't enter into the length question. Money just determines the quality of 36' boat they get. Just look at the profiles of people in here. I see SO many 36' or there-a-bouts. May be just my imagination since I have owned two 36' boats myself.

-dan
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19   #25

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
I have an AC only fridge and run it on my inverter. It uses 155 watts AC and runs 4 hours total a 24 hr day. The DC units cost 4 times more and burn a lot more DC because the compressors are AC in them and the inverters are not as effecient as a prosine.

AC fridges are not a problem.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 13:39   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Well, the Jury has spoken. When I first looked at the boat I was pretty excited, but everyone seems to agree its a for ever project. Too expensive to operate, and too expensive to redo. Be afraid. But keep looking! That price range could get you into a much more affordable vessel. A sailboat can be pushed at 6 knots by a 30hp diesel burning 3/4 gph. Insurance is cheaper, and just getting there is much more fun, especially if you care about the environment and your carbon footprint.

Tell us where you want to go and who with, for how long.
Old 13-11-2008, 14:05   #27

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
alternative

Don,

check this out....

1992 Endeavour Endeavour cat 30 for sale in St. Petersburg, FL: Catamaran (sail) - SailboatTraderOnline.com

or something like it.

whadya think???

mm
Old 14-11-2008, 00:27   #28

What about a Diesel Duck trawler? Live aboard, sail/power anywhere

Old 14-11-2008, 01:52   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
I've seen a couple of black smoke belching Detroit deisels heading up the coast at 8 knots in a 9 knot tail wind....its a horrible thing to see....could explain the new paint job.
Old 14-11-2008, 15:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I've seen a couple of black smoke belching Detroit deisels heading up the coast at 8 knots in a 9 knot tail wind....its a horrible thing to see....could explain the new paint job.
Steam locomotives make a lot of black smoke too, depending on fuel used, that is not a reson to say steam engines are bad.

Detroit Diesel particularly the 71 series is the best diesel engine ever built. The fact that it takes so much abuse allows people to drive them into the ground...or the sea. The fact that they still work in that sorry state is an endorsement of their fantastic endurance and it is rather strange to qualify an engine by the condition people allow it to get to by pure neglect and ignorance, rather then by the tens of thousand of trouble free hours it took to get to that state.
Any other engine would stop working and give up the ghost permanently, well before reaching that condition.
Furthermore, there are a lot of cheap spare parts and scores of mechanics that know the 71 engine all over the world. Detroit diesel and Caterpillar are the best and most reputable engine that a vessel can be proud to be powered by.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: