Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 15:38   #16

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
53-58 foot is one helluva lot of boat if you aren't particularly experienced (I'm not saying the OP necessarily isn't although his moniker might be indicative). There are plenty of modern 40-45 footers that have 3 or 4 separate cabins. I mean, each to his (or her) oww and all, but if you truly are a Yachtnovice, I'd suggest you set your sights a little smaller.
Very sound advice depending entirely on the OP's budget and ability to hire out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I don't have any insight as to the why someone would hire a Captain on a permanent basis to run my play boat, seems like you are taking all the fun out of having one of these beauties, if you are going to do that, why not just charter a vessel where you want to go and then save on the expense the other 50 weeks out of the year? I guess you have to be in a higher tax bracket than I am to have that make fiscal sense.
Power yachts over 50' are hungry animals, both in money and time. The adage about smaller boats going out more often is rooted in the fact of how much maintenance is entailed. I easily keep up on my maintenance but friends with larger boats need to hire out many tasks. Washing a Hatt that size is easily an 8+ hour job. Oil change on a pair of engines and gennies can take all day too when carting waste oil through the saloon and up the dock. Dust and spiders are the norm where I dock and I wash and de-web mine weekly. While I'm cleaning outside my wife is cleaning inside. Couple hours easy for us but everyone has different standards.

The 55-75' range seems to be the number where most non live aboards decide to hire out the whole shooting match. What's your hobby? Yachting or yacht maintenance? Experienced retired couples with a boat in the canal behind the house can normally cope well. Inexperienced or busy folks with tight schedules and long drives can not.

A lot of folks buy larger yachts because they can afford to purchase them, then quickly learn how much work they really are. Watch a dock mate detail one that size and see.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 15:48   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Looking at a few 53 - 58 Hatteras Yachtfish need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Very sound advice depending entirely on the OP's budget and ability to hire out.

The 55-75' range seems to be the number where most non live aboards decide to hire out the whole shooting match. What's your hobby? Yachting or yacht maintenance? Experienced retired couples with a boat in the canal behind the house can normally cope well. Inexperienced or busy folks with tight schedules and long drives can not.
Exactly the case of my parents. They got the 53 and once they realized how much work it took to maintain, they hired an experienced couple to not only maintain the boat but do some minor work in the house. I know that the diesel mechanic they used probably ate more meals at my folks house than he did with his own family. My father at one point told me that it cost him roughly twice what he anticipated to maintain and use the boat. Still, it was his lifelong dream and due to age and health he didn't get to use it as much as he would have liked. I helped whenever I could by doing some maintenance and running the boat but I was working full time and could only do so much. Still, for his sake I'm glad he did it. We should all get at least a taste of our dreams.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 03:43   #18

Boat: Hatteras 58' Yachtfish

Hi All,

Thanks again to all for the responses.

Yes I am a bit of a Yacht novice - had a 34' Silverton years ago, and am looking to get back into the pleasure of spending time with my Grandson (and maybe his Parents) for extended cruising, and some light fishing (he's only 5 after all).

I'm kidding about maybe taking his Parents along.....I have 4 Children and expect to have a few more Grand Kids so having something that can accommodate 6-8 Adults and /or a few kids on blow up mattress's would be required.

From what I have read and what others have posted is that these boats are well built (like a tank - one person wrote), and are designed to be stable in waves that other boats would not want to tackle. Safety is paramount for me, not speed, not shiny new fangled equipment and high grade granite countertops, etc.

Just looking for a large boat to accommodate the above and be capable of coastline cruising with a few runs Island hoping from Florida to Venezuela, into the Gulf of Mexico for overnights and maybe even The Grand Tour.

Here's the rub: A private seller has a 58' with Detroit V8 diesel engines newly majored, transmissions are original, and Perkins genset barley used. All wiring, plumbing, appliances, AC units has been replaced recently. The boat is in need of paint from top to bottom, and needs almost all the window glass replaced.
All the major systems cost wise has been done and I can get this boat for less than 100k. Based on the above and if a survey comes back good, is this a good deal? It seems to me it is, but I am not as objective as I should/could be, I really like the boat but I think I'm looking at it with "rose colored glasses" and need an opinion from someone who is not as close to it as I am.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, and stories.

edited 6:54AM : Just read the above two responses while I was writing - I can do most of the maintenance myself and we will be keeping the boat behind the house in a canal, taking it out for short evening cruise's and some long range extended. I don't think I need a Professional Captain as The Admiral and I have some experience with abeit smaller boats but once we do buy something along this size, a lot of practice runs will be dome before we take anyone with us. This boat will be my hobby in retirement, so I will have a lot of time to keep it in ship shape condition (at least that's the plan).
Yachtnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 04:38   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post

As to fishing we seldom fished from the Hatteras itself. In the motoryacht configuration the decks were simply too high. The height could at times make docking an interesting event. The fishing solution was to simply lower the 14 ft Boston Whaler stored aft of the fly bridge. With a 25 hp outboard it was much more convenient for fishing.

At least the "yachtfish" configuration -- similar to what other manufacturers call a "cockpit motor yacht" -- actually has a cockpit that's much lower to the water, compared to the sun deck (or boat deck, or party deck, etc.) over the aft cabin of a typical "motor yacht."

And that may also contribute to better aft sight lines, for easier (especially stern-to) docking.

-Chris
Old 24-07-2013, 04:45   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtnovice View Post

Here's the rub: A private seller has a 58' with Detroit V8 diesel engines newly majored, transmissions are original, and Perkins genset barley used. All wiring, plumbing, appliances, AC units has been replaced recently. The boat is in need of paint from top to bottom, and needs almost all the window glass replaced.

All the major systems cost wise has been done and I can get this boat for less than 100k. Based on the above and if a survey comes back good, is this a good deal? It seems to me it is, but I am not as objective as I should/could be, I really like the boat but I think I'm looking at it with "rose colored glasses" and need an opinion from someone who is not as close to it as I am.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, and stories.

Sounds attractive to me, so I'd think it's worth a very serious look. I would definitely have both main engines and the generator surveyed by a qualified (on DD and Perkins) engine guy. "Majored" sounds good, trust but verify. And a genset that's "barely used" doesn't sound all that good (use it or lose it), so that one really needs some verification.

And then of course do a serious marine survey, evaluate what it might take to address the various issues that might be identified. (I usually try to do my own independent survey, too, partly for comparison to the results from the marine and mechanical surveyors, partly to assess how easy (or not) my own maintenance will be. Access issues, etc.)

Other stuff just all depends on what you can afford, either in time or money, how much you can (or choose to) do yourself, etc... but almost anything on a well-found boat is repairable or replaceable. That said, a Hatt 58 YF is a lot of boat, so even relatively simple things like new canvas, updated soft goods, appliances, paint and so forth can cost a lot over time...

-Chris
Old 24-07-2013, 08:18   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'

The two previous posters about the amount of maintenance and time needed, to maintain the vessel have valid points. It sounds like you may have found a good sleeper, if the reduction gears and mains are in good shape, and of course the genset. Then you could be off and running. As was said here before, the initial purchase is just the tip of the iceberg with regards to expense.
I remember when I was starting out we had a 32' commercial fishing boat all aluminum, my Father spent a majority of his time on the vessel keep things running, of course I was in attendance to hand wrenches etc... When I moved up to fledgling captain, I started running a single screw six pack runabout for fishing, then moved up the a Fiberform 28' with twin engines, and man I was something then. And every next bigger vessel that I ran, seemed much larger before I got on board, once there; the size soon diminished to manageable. A 58' vessel may seem large from your perspective now, but once you get aboard her and spend some time, even if you are not underway, it will soon become the right sized vessel.
Old 24-07-2013, 10:25   #22

In regard to the painting question. An acquaintance own a Hatteras 48LRC, exterior 2 pack paint job is approximately $100K for a point of reference. Get an estimate from a local yard for paint and window/hardware re-bedding and proceed accordingly.

Of course after spending north of a hundred K on paint it goes without saying that maintenance outside should be a priority to protect your investment. Get 3 quotes from local boat detailers for monthly washing and annual waxing. Trust me, it'll get old after the first year and don't know anyone who enjoys waxing that much boat. You'll have your hands full enough rinsing and wiping the salt off the boat after every trip to not wish to wash it monthly after a while too.

Also get price estimates for oil changes and verify pumping equipment exists in working order aboard to accomplish this task.

Completely agree that after a while it'll feel like the right size and don't be surprised if after a couple years it starts feeling small. There's a reason 70' Hatts are popular

Craig
Old 24-07-2013, 16:58   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
If you pass in that boat inbox me, I'm interested

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 18:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtnovice View Post
Hi All,

Just looking for a large boat to accommodate the above and be capable of coastline cruising with a few runs Island hoping from Florida to Venezuela, into the Gulf of Mexico for overnights and maybe even The Grand Tour.
I missed the words I bolded above earlier while reading. By "The Grand Tour" are you perhaps referring to the "American Great Loop"?

If so the following link may be of interest to you as there are size limits lest your trip around the Great Loop become the Great U-Turn.

Your Great Loop boat requirements and restrictions

Not implying that the boat you are looking at will not make it, just be aware of the limitations involved with a potential trip beforehand is all. The boat sounds like it may have great potential for you, pending the obvious surveys of course.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Craig
Old 25-07-2013, 03:01   #25

Re: Looking at a few 53 - 58 Hatteras Yachtfish need Advice Please

Ok, capttman I will let you know.

Yes CPseudonym you are correct, my mistake, I meant the American Great Loop.....isn't getting older great?
I believe the draw on this boat is 5 feet (without fuel /fresh water), and the height is appx. 22 feet at the radar arch. I will review the link you sent me, thank you.
Old 25-07-2013, 03:51   #26

If you find the window frames are in good shape then resealing is probably the most economical way to go. If the frames have significant corrosion you might consider this outfit's product:

Hatteras Motor Yacht 53′ | Lookout Boat Window Frames

I have surveyed many of the older Hatteras. I am more concerned with the buyer's expectations than the boats. The boats are pretty reliable and if the buyer is a do it yourself type who has rehabbed a few old homes they tend to be a good fit for the boats. Otherwise plan on spending a lot...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 10:48   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

You've received some good advice; let me add a few more comments. My company has maintained a dozen Hatt's for customers over the years including 6 53's, one a yacht fish therefore 58. The split engine room design is good for your mechanic if not for living space; there are larger 53 footers, esp as the beam is a shade narrow and un-stabilized models have a bit of roll in them.

If you really do your own maintenance you'll be happy. These are very well made yachts with oversized wiring and well documented systems. Be sure you get the blue prints and diagrams for your build...

Still these are old boats and systems need work and occasional upgrading or replacement. For a point of reference our average annual maintenance costs on the 53's has been about $14,000. This includes annual winterizations with fluid changes, air conditioner maintenance, electronics maintenance and upgrades, engine maintenance, head work, upgrades to the 32 > 12 volt converters, bilge pump maintenance/upgrades, battery maintenance (monthly testing and watering, those 8-19's are expensive and need care), hull and bottom cleaning, etc. Some owners do all off that themselves, others want us to keep the fuel tanks filled up. Still, it gives you a sense of what to expect.

Scott Berg
(Disclaimer, I fix these for a living; Don't want to fix yours <grin>)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 04:46   #28

Bglad - Thanks, good advise, the windows are cracked (they don't leak but look bad).

Scott - Thanks, it makes sense what you wrote - and to keep operating cost down I expect I will have to do a lot of the maintenance myself. For the complicated (or heavy stuff), I'll use a Pro.
Old 15-09-2013, 09:59   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

You want to read this. Pascoe is very unbiased and good at slamming the production rubbish out there.
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Hatteras 53 Motor Yacht - Hatteras Yachts
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:13   #30

Thanks Rourkeh - Its a well rounded review, alot of people speak highly of Pascoe too. Thanks for taking the time to tell me of it.

Yachtnovice