Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 17:14   #16

Re: Liveaboard with 7'0" headroom minimum? what are my options?

Update,

I have found an older boat that was semi-custom built with extra headroom, and am very happy to have found her. It is a Canoe Cove 53, and I can stand up straight almost everywhere, even the heads. The owner had it built with 4" of extra headroom throughout.

Bigger boat than I wanted at almost 60' LOA, but the boat is scaled to fit me, so it is no wonder that it is 10' longer than a similar boat for lilliputians.

Boats I found that sort of worked.

American tugs 485, and 435 just barely squeak by, but don't fit in the living quarters.

Krogen Express isn't nearly big enough.

Mckinna 481 sedan was a pretty good fit. Nice headroom, and finished well. great boat, for 6'8" - 6'11" bigger people, and was nice to get around on. Just a bit out of my price range due to import tax, and sales tax in Canada, which adds up to 21.5% on top of the purchase price.

North Pacific Pilothouse is a nice boat and would work, but a new one is outside our budget, nuch like the American Tugs would be new.

Carver 530 Voyager would work as well in the main living spaces, but the boat is not my cup of tea, and there is no way that I would be able to operate the boat from the spaceship helm in the pilothouse. I have also heard lots of not so great things about the way the boats handle.

Outside of these choices, there is almost nothing out there that fits a 6'9" person, that is under 75', and $750,000. Crazy but it is true. The best option for people is to search out builders that build semi- custom, then track down boats that were commissioned for taller clients. Production boats outside of the Carver 530 just wont work.

There is a Duffy 50 on the East coast, that looks great, as it was a custom built for a tall man that would have been mine, if I had the cash. Looks like a great boat, but it is unfortunately a one off.

If I stumble on any others, I'll post my findings.
torangefree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headroom, liveaboard