Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49   #1

Boat: Chrisler Intrepid
Laughing Tiki and Mystic

Has anyone in BC heard or seen the "Laughing Tiki"?
It is a wooden ketch made in 1955 in Nova-Scotia. It is for sale and the price seems a little high

The owner seems unmotivated to purchase a survey on it and wants me to pay for it... Any thoughts, advice would be welcome.

There is also another ketch for sale which price seems a little low... Another owner who wants me to pay for the surveyor... It is called "Mystic" (1980)
BlueChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Laughing Tiki and Mystic

Ahh most every boat sale Ive seen or been involved in the buyer was responsible for survey costs, and that should include the cost of the Surveyer!! I did not Know things have changed that much!! Gee maybe Ive been ripped off over the last 50 yrs of boat buying and selling ??? LOL just saying !! Is this a JOKE??
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChild View Post
The owner seems unmotivated to purchase a survey on it and wants me to pay for it... Any thoughts, advice would be welcome.
That is quite normal, the buyer needs to pay for the survey so that it becomes your report. In theory if its wrong you could then claim off the surveyor because you paid for the service. In practice this might be a tad more difficult. However, being shown an old report commissioned by someone else is worth the same as the paper its printed on, not much.

If you bought a boat off me, you would be paying for the survey plus the lift out of the water and any storage charge ashore.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:01   #4

No it's no joke, I jus't can't seem to convince myself to invest 800$ in a boat that isn't mine. The seller would have better chances to "prove" his ship worthy if he had the survey in hand don't you think?

What happens if the survey comes out saying the boat isn't worth anything?

I've been a used car salesman, there is just too much risk involved in my opinion, or just a dumb way to do business...

"I need a survey on my boat, let's just put it up for sale so that some sucker will pay for it, and take the ad down when it's done..." :/
Old 06-06-2012, 13:05   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Use your own judgement,is it worth a survey in the first place?You can sell him the survey if he wants it,you own the survey.Rule #1 is unless you like working on old wood boats,stay away from wood.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:06   #6

Here's 2 links, I'd like your thoughts.
35FT Classic Wooden Sailboat (Ketch) - British Columbia Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.
and the other one:
Super Boat, Super Price - British Columbia Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:09   #7

Yes I can work wood quite nicely, I am a tradesman so already own tools and most of the equipment to work wood. Fiberglass scares me for I don't know anything about it and steel would be very cold in the northern winter.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChild View Post
No it's no joke, I jus't can't seem to convince myself to invest 800$ in a boat that isn't mine. The seller would have better chances to "prove" his ship worthy if he had the survey in hand don't you think?

What happens if the survey comes out saying the boat isn't worth anything?

I've been a used car salesman, there is just too much risk involved in my opinion, or just a dumb way to do business...

"I need a survey on my boat, let's just put it up for sale so that some sucker will pay for it, and take the ad down when it's done..." :/
Unfortunately that is the way it's done. Look at it from the point of view of the seller. What if he or she pays $800 for a survey and the buyer turns out not to be serious or to have no money, just looking. Then if it is many months before another buyer asks, the seller might have to pay for another survey.

The solution is to inspect the boat yourself. Personally I trust my own survey and inspection more than more I have paid for. The professional survey for me is just for the benefit of the insurance company.

Also, the seller has no right to even read the survey if you don't want to share it. You pay for it and you own it. If you pay for a survey and decide not to buy the boat you could even offer to sell it to the boat owner.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 13:25   #9

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

You have good taste in old wood boats.The 1955 is nice,new masts,clean interior.The Ingrid is a classic also,although not as updated,and no interior pics. to see.I would go look at both and do a tap/poke test on as much as you can looking for soft spots.Do the survey on the one with the best results.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 14:04   #10

Thanks, mostly they just fit my budget, I'm in no rush to purchase, I know there will always be someone willing to sell what I want, and always someone to buy what I sell...

I did get the inside pictures for the "Mystic", I just don't know how to post them on this reply... But It doesn't compare to the "Tiki".
1955 is what is bothering me a little...
Investing 20 grand in the Mystic would make it just as nice in my opinion. (considering that I do the work)
Do you think a boat like this "Tiki" is worth 29K?