Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Keel Shoe (?) Info

howdy beautiful CFers. Rain Dog and I are Closing on our Sailboat and are boat shopping. We are looking at bigger mono hulls, Cats, and Trawlers. Trawlers are winning :-).
I ran into this beautiful Trawler by Monk and hope to get some info about this keel.
It is on a Monk 40. Here is the Yachtworld listing- 1982 Monk Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Her sistership is in Spain. Here is an old listing on her-
Vedette HIPTIMCO MARINE - TRAWLER HIPTIMCO MONK 42 - Annonce de vedette d?occasion à vendre proposée par le courtier en bateaux XBOAT

Has anyone seen this before? Had a boat with this type of configuration?

At first I thought it was for sitting high and dry at low tide. But could this be about lateral drag?

Thanks for any input.
Erika
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	125367  
Old 02-06-2016, 21:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Keel Shoe (?) Info

In Alaska where there are 40'+ tides, some boats put a "beaver tail" on the keel so the vessel will sit upright when the tide is out. A beaver tail looks like a big tennis racket at the back of the keel.
The addition on your trawler doesn't look big enough without other support to keep the vessel upright unless on pavement. I wouldn't trust it alone even then. I think it's for keel protection like a shoe on a wood boat.
Small beavertail on a commercial boat. This one's for stability at sea, too small for grounding support
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	beavertail_2.gif
Views:	180
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	125414   Click image for larger version

Name:	beavertail_3.gif
Views:	161
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	125415  

Name:	beavertail_4.gif
Views:	159
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	125416   Click image for larger version

Name:	beavertail_5.gif
Views:	166
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	125417  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 21:35   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
howdy beautiful CFers. Rain Dog and I are Closing on our Sailboat and are boat shopping. We are looking at bigger mono hulls, Cats, and Trawlers. Trawlers are winning :-).
I ran into this beautiful Trawler by Monk and hope to get some info about this keel.
It is on a Monk 40. Here is the Yachtworld listing- 1982 Monk Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Her sistership is in Spain. Here is an old listing on her-
Vedette HIPTIMCO MARINE - TRAWLER HIPTIMCO MONK 42 - Annonce de vedette d?occasion à vendre proposée par le courtier en bateaux XBOAT

Has anyone seen this before? Had a boat with this type of configuration?

At first I thought it was for sitting high and dry at low tide. But could this be about lateral drag?

Thanks for any input.
Erika

I see it fairly often. Anti roll device. Have seen several different approaches. This one is fairly common. Lots of increased wetted surface area means greater fuel consumption. Probably worth it though.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I made the switch from sail to trawler with a 40 year career in between. Decided I was too old and my wife too small to take on a 40 sloop, even though now I find that there have been whopping changes making sailboats easier to crew. When I looked at trawlers that I could afford, meaning the Grand Banks etc. 36-42' sort, I didn't find anything I was ready to take off shore. There were too many compromises on hull shape to get more interior space, too many seacocks in out of the way places where I'd never get to a popped one in time, and big flimsy windows that would never survive a wave breaking broach. I ended up building my own instead. If you're making the switch, I do hope that you'll keep in mind the difference in seaworthiness of the boats you are looking at versus what you had. You can take a 40' monohull with a lead keel into just about anything. Not so with trawlers.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 17:51   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I made the switch from sail to trawler with a 40 year career in between. Decided I was too old and my wife too small to take on a 40 sloop, even though now I find that there have been whopping changes making sailboats easier to crew. When I looked at trawlers that I could afford, meaning the Grand Banks etc. 36-42' sort, I didn't find anything I was ready to take off shore. There were too many compromises on hull shape to get more interior space, too many seacocks in out of the way places where I'd never get to a popped one in time, and big flimsy windows that would never survive a wave breaking broach. I ended up building my own instead. If you're making the switch, I do hope that you'll keep in mind the difference in seaworthiness of the boats you are looking at versus what you had. You can take a 40' monohull with a lead keel into just about anything. Not so with trawlers.

/\ /\ /\

Agree with everything you said Sir, well spoken.

Tags
keel