Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is this boat worth bying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
free would be expensive for that boat. but if you wanted to spend the $500 to get rid of the bug and keep you busy then it maybe well worth it.
Maybe if he could get $500 to haul it away. Not meaning to me cruel but he will have almost that in tires before the trailer moves and I hope he has looked at the rims.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40   #17

Boat: 1972 Irwin 23

You could get a MUCH better boat for $1500
send1here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:13   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Maybe

Maybe $500 if: you are hot for it, really willing to spend the time, really, really willing and able to spend the money for the known repairs, and spend more, at least twice as much, for the unknown and unexpected repairs, and the seller is willing to transfer the title at a place that he takes it to meet you, a place that sells trailer tires, 'cause you will need them. Be prepared to buy them and possibly brakes or the brake system for the trailer. This is without knowledge of the rivet problems mentioned elsewhere. Enjoy if you do.
Old 03-11-2015, 13:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I had a couple of StarCraft boats. I'm sure no expert, so take what I saw with a huge pile of salt.

You are buying a hull, period. Motor is likely shot and not worth it.

The hull, if in good shape and not abused may be worth it.

They are very light boats, and tough. They drive easily and need much less motor than a similar size glass boat.

There is a LOT of work there if you are up to it, you could end up with a pretty nifty hull.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:39   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
free would be expensive for that boat. but if you wanted to spend the $500 to get rid of the bug and keep you busy then it maybe well worth it.
To be crass. It does not sound as if he has $500 to piss away. Worrying about carpeting coming out? Does not sound like encouraging him is a plus?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:45   #21

Aluminum boat, pretty classic looking. I don't see a problem if he know what he is getting into. many of us would spend $30k and put $50k into a sailboat after getting it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 15:37   #22

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

But on a boat that could never be worth more than ~$2,000, you must be more careful.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 17:54   #23

Michel, I have a 1960ish aluminum Starcraft Chieftan about 18.5' looks bigger tho. I bought it out of a farmers field on the ground with seized Volvo 4cyl, seized leg, and everything seized together so i couldn't come apart without torch for a $1000 CAN oh ya the trailer was a tandem steel we had to weld bed rails to in the guys barn before we could haul her home gingerly. The local marine tech apprentices at the college removed the engine, leg, and cleaned the engine bay, it took 5 months two semesters and finally a couple of 4th yr techs to remove it. Cost? Two dozen Timmy doe nuts and 100 Tim Bits! I then fibreglassed the engine hole and sandwiched it between 1/4 aluminum plates, then hung a kicker bracket in the middle for my 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke. I use the boat for support/dive vessel for my Endurance 35 SV that is undergoing a refit on the water. I find the boat very easy to handle with the 9.8 and it has plenty of speed. I built a galvanized tandem for it (just for easy of handling/towing) and can tow it with my 95' voyager van with no problem! I will put a pod and at least a 150+hp one day, but today she is just fine and sea kind. Another note to consider, the payload is greater due to the lighter hull.
Gypsy Rose II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:03   #24

Hey Mike,

I can understand your interest in acquiring a boat ... but this is not the boat ... your energy (and money) should go towards something that will reward your efforts. This boat and trailer are not worth anything ... trust me ... safe your money. If you are willing to put time and money into refurbishing a boat , look at true classics ... boats that are desirable: check out " Wooden Boat" mag. read more about yacht design and what is desirable. There are finds out there where by people want their boats to go to someone who will bring it back to life and do so for free or near free
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:40   #25

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I'd offer one dollar and explain that you'll clear out their yard. Many similar junk boats are available. You would have fun learning how to begin boat maintenance as many of we others have.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 19:00   #26

I'm a suckered for old boats, once bought a Mahogany Penn Yan avenger 1956, and I wouldn't take this one.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 19:38   #27

Michel

Take the purchase price, double your estimate of restoration cost add them together, factor in 5 years of labor when you could be boating, then decide.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 19:57   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Well the naysayers have all chimed in. I say of you don't mind working on things, go for it. In my area, (Ohio), engines of this size are pretty cheap and pretty plentiful. I see them all the time for less than a $1000. and you can hear many of them run. It is the 10-15 hp engines that are in demand. You might try and offer the seller less.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11   #29

Boat: Starcraft Chieftan 22

To all of you that are trying to tell me not to go for it, your reasoning are sound. If I was going for this boat for what I could get for it after refurbishing, your are all absolutely right, it's not worth it.
But, if I turn it down, the main reason will be that at age 60 (almost), I have too many unfinished projects, especially the house which after 25 years still has a lot to finish off, if I want to consider selling for a decent price at retirement.
But if I do go for it, it will not be for its resale value after I am done with it, but because this had been my type of boat ever since I was a teenager, until I saw the "Klondike" from Glen-L catalogue (see my avatar). But in order to build the Klondike, I would need to win the lottery and soon, because I don't have a whole lot of years left of good health to spend 4 years building it at a very rough ballpark cost of $70,000 or more. So this small cruiser would be my "affordable" dream boat.
When I look at boat dealers web site from around here, nobody has this type of boat any more. They are all open style, fiberglass or this newer plastic type material, with lots of power, built for speed and sleek look. So unless somebody can point out this type of boat that is not too old at a decent price, it does not mater what boat I find, it will be old and in need of repair and upkeep. The other solution which has been on my mind is to go back to the Glen-L website to find a more "affordable" boat plan to build from scratch. But then, these are wood boats which are heavier and needs more maintenance that an aluminum boat.
Either way, whether I start with this "shell", which has a motor in need of rebuild (cheaper that any used ones I have seen in this part of the country, which may also need repair) and already has a trailer, or I build from scratch, and have to buy a motor and a trailer, I am still looking at possibly $20,000 to have a boat on which I can sleep in while on a weekend or a week long journey in the Trent-Severn or the Rideau Canal.
So, can anybody show me another option?
Deep inside, I believe I am and explorer that has been locked up because of family obligations (raising 5 kids with my wife, on a single income)and having to work for a living. When I was a kid, my best times were spent following the shore lines on a small raft of small boat, not speeding across the lake. As a teenager, I believe my best achievement was designing and building a 12' plywood boat to use the 15 HP mercury my dad was no longer using after he bought the 40 HP for the 16 footer (see attached pictures)( that is my brother driving, he is more of the "speeding across the lake" kind of guy)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plywood boat-1.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	112212   Click image for larger version

Name:	plywood boat-2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	112213  

Click image for larger version

Name:	plywood boat-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	112214  
Old 04-11-2015, 08:00   #30

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If you really like this boat that much go ahead and buy it. But putting all your spare time and thousands of dollars into an old boat restoration you may also never finish may prevent you from ever finishing your house.

Do you really need another major project?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote