Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 11:39   #1

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Is it Just Me?

If you like the idea of being out on the water on your poweryacht but don't like the queasy feeling you or your loved ones get from the waves, why install a gyro stabalizer

Quote:
REVOLUTIONARY GYRO STABILIZES TRAWLERS
Now trawler owners can enjoy the adventure of voyaging or living aboard without nauseating boat rock and roll. Delivering a powerful righting force, the advanced Seakeeper Gyro Stabilization System ensures smooth cruising in any condition. Even in the roughest waves and zero and low speeds, it remains effective.
Employing the principles of gyro-dynamics, the high-tech Seakeeper Gyro spins a forged, high-strength steel flywheel at 10,000 rpm in a near-vacuum to generate an unmatched 7,000 Newton meter seconds of angular momentum. Completely internal, it has no drag-producing protrusions from the hull that can be damaged from impact or snag seaweed.
Speed independent, the versatile Seakeeper Gyro works just as well at anchor as it does underway, unlike fin-based, roll stabilization systems whose performance decreases sharply at less than cruising speed.
Ideal for planing or displacement boats, it is actively controlled by state-of-the-art motion sensors and computer processors to optimize torque.
Operating in a near-vacuum enables the Seakeeper Gyro to spin at much higher speeds than traditional gyros. This produces more angular momentum or righting force for increased roll reduction performance. Since air friction is decreased, the innovative unit consumes less power, produces less heat, demands less cooling and weighs significantly less than other products on the market.
Not susceptible to the harsh marine environment or corrosion, the low-maintenance gyro's main components are sealed inside a cast aluminum enclosure. It also features an active hydraulic brake, heavy-duty gimbal shafts and bearings and sturdy, cast aluminum saddle beams. Status and diagnostic information can be easily accessed from the display panel and keypad.
Designed for craft up to 60' in length and/or 60,000 lbs. displacement, the Seakeeper Model 7000 Gyro measures merely 38.5" L x 30.7" W x 26.5" H and weighs only 1,000 lbs. Larger trawlers are fitted with multiple units. The compact gyro can be installed as a boat is being built or retrofitted into an existing vessel. Incredibly efficient, the economical unit requires just 1.5-2 kW to operate.
From the leader in internal stabilization technology, the Seakeeper Model 7000 Gyro has suggested retail prices starting at $79,000. Contact Seakeeper Website.
Might this not be a better hobby for folks that can take some waves? I mean, you can buy a heck of a lot of Scopolamine for kind of money and it will take up a lot less room.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 12:39   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
The whole add seems to be done in double speak. Light weight is 1000lbs and you can have multiple units? I can't see how 1000lbs spinning is going to actively counteract the roll of a 60000lb boat. I looked and looked for the Onion link but maybe they really have something. Other than a good scam to chase a few more dollars out of the pockets of some bone head I mean. Perhaps you sit on it and the boat rolls around you, hmmmm......m
Old 23-09-2009, 12:56   #3

Boat: 1981 Prairie 36 and 1979 S2 27.5
To see the "gyro" the website Seakeeper Website offers locations and dates for the sea sick sailor to view this marvel of technology
Old 23-09-2009, 14:28   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Arrrrgggghhh..

Sounds to me like people who have to have one of those should have bought an RV....