Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 09:24   #1

Insurance and Liveabaords

Do insurance companies dislike liveaboards?

Any known companies that are ok with it?
Old 14-04-2014, 09:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Insurance and liveabaords

Markel has multiple policies that are geared for full time cruisers.... IMIS has the best range of their options as well as other companies and work closely with them...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 13:46   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

I’ve probably applied for a dozen policies in the last 25 years and don’t ever remember being asked if I was a liveaboard.

Insurance companies likely would view liveaboards as less risky. They tend not to sail much and there less chance of a loss being that it’s not an unattended vessel.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 15:52   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
I’ve probably applied for a dozen policies in the last 25 years and don’t ever remember being asked if I was a liveaboard.

Insurance companies likely would view liveaboards as less risky. They tend not to sail much and there less chance of a loss being that it’s not an unattended vessel.
Also one is more likely to take every precaution and step to protect their home than they are to protect a boat they occasionally use.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 13:18   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Insurance and Liveabaords

Recently, I asked a BoatUS underwriter why living aboard does not reduce my premium. I reasoned that since I am on the boat much more, I would be aware of and correct threats to the vessel more readily. However, I was informed that living aboard does not result in premium reduction because full-time occupancy causes increased wear and tear! Seems ridiculous to me because insurance doesn't reimburse you for wear and tear anyway, only loss. Somebody please explain.
dgabier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 13:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgabier1 View Post
Recently, I asked a BoatUS underwriter why living aboard does not reduce my premium. I reasoned that since I am on the boat much more, I would be aware of and correct threats to the vessel more readily. However, I was informed that living aboard does not result in premium reduction because full-time occupancy causes increased wear and tear! Seems ridiculous to me because insurance doesn't reimburse you for wear and tear anyway, only loss. Somebody please explain.
I asked the same question. They told me that if I was living aboard I would be more likely to burn the boat down with a fire from the stove. Go figure.
Old 06-05-2014, 14:58   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

As far as wear and tear, you're correct that it's not covered. But wear and tear can lead to insured losses. For example, a badly worn boarding ladder or lifelines could lead to serious injury and a costly claim for an insurer.

Insurers probably are comparing losses from liveaboards to those who never use their boats, which is a large population. In this comparison, liveaboards likely are much more costly to insure.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:47   #8

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
As far as wear and tear, you're correct that it's not covered. But wear and tear can lead to insured losses. For example, a badly worn boarding ladder or lifelines could lead to serious injury and a costly claim for an insurer.

Insurers probably are comparing losses from liveaboards to those who never use their boats, which is a large population. In this comparison, liveaboards likely are much more costly to insure.

You said it very well as a group live a boards are probable more riskier.

Contrary to popular believe insurance companies view live a boards as more of a risk and will decline or charge a higher premium. I would be some what up front with them about being a live aboard as there are clauses and way outs for them. The clause that can catch most is due diligence to reduce risk/loss and/or disclosure. I have found that marine insurance broker that also insure commercial boat are better as they have access to insurance companies willing to accept higher risk for higher premium of course.

rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24   #9

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Our premium will increase $250 when we become liveaboards. This is only slightly higher than the current renters' insurance and will provide similar coverage of personal items.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance