Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:21   #1

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Inflatable Boat Advice Needed

Hey guys i am looking to purchase an inflatable boat that i can store inside my NYC/Brooklyn, NY apartment. Heres what im looking for: weight below 100 lbs and preferably below 60 lbs and the rolled up size is below 4 feet so that i can carry it via a metal cart to the water (I may also consider using an uber). Can seat preferably 3 people or 4 people at least, stable on the water, durable, can go fast but yet still be stable on smooth water, good planing, my budget for a boat is low, in the range of $500 to $1500 and the motor $500 to $1500 so the total price between $1000 and $2000, speedy, i am looking to have a little fun and achieve speeds in the range of 20 to 30 mph or perhaps slightly above. Advice on the engine also appreciated. Ill probably get an engine in the range of 6 to 10 hp. The weight of the engine should be below 90 lbs and preferable below 60 lbs, lightweight so i can carry it in the above mentioned metal cart. So speedy and lightweight too. Is it better to have an aluminum bottom or an air bottom?

Here's a few companies that i know produce these types:
west marine
takacat - probably a bit too expensive
Zodiac
sea eagle
Newport Vessells
nuwave
brig
saturn
inflatable sports boats

Boat Engines:
Honda
Tohatsu
Suzuki
Kawasaki
Mercury
Evinrude
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:00   #2

Boat: 43 Mikelson
Re: Inflatable Boat Advice Needed

I think your wants are too high and your budget too low.
4,5&6 hp engines are one cylinder and weigh about 50 lbs. a new 6 hp Tohatsu will be $1,300 or more.
After that you are into two cylinder outboards and the weight jumps to 90 lbs and the cost to 1,800 and up.
Costco / Sams Club have PVC dinghys for $700 with aluminum floors. Weight is over 100 lbs.
Planning at 20-30 mph probably not happening with any one cylinder engine.
Good luck
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you are planning on using this in the Hudson by NYC you will most likely wind up on the evening news!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys i am looking to purchase an inflatable boat that i can store inside my NYC/Brooklyn, NY apartment. Heres what im looking for: weight below 100 lbs and preferably below 60 lbs and the rolled up size is below 4 feet so that i can carry it via a metal cart to the water (I may also consider using an uber). Can seat preferably 3 people or 4 people at least, stable on the water, durable, can go fast but yet still be stable on smooth water, good planing, my budget for a boat is low, in the range of $500 to $1500 and the motor $500 to $1500 so the total price between $1000 and $2000, speedy, i am looking to have a little fun and achieve speeds in the range of 20 to 30 mph or perhaps slightly above. Advice on the engine also appreciated. Ill probably get an engine in the range of 6 to 10 hp. The weight of the engine should be below 90 lbs and preferable below 60 lbs, lightweight so i can carry it in the above mentioned metal cart. So speedy and lightweight too. Is it better to have an aluminum bottom or an air bottom?

west marine
Zodiac
sea eagle
Newport Vessells
nuwave
brig
saturn
inflatable sports boats

Boat Engines:
Honda
Tohatsu
Suzuki
Kawasaki
Mercury
Evinrude
OK, according to the use case you've presented, you're not looking for a roll up dinghy, but rather a small motorboat. I had a 3.4 meter Avon RIB with a 25 horsepower Mariner, wheel steered, which would barely fulfill your requirements of making 30 mph (even lightly loaded) and planing with 3 or 4 people aboard. The whole rig weight around 400 pounds and most certainly could not have been kept in any apartment.

I would suggest that you EITHER modify the use case to be happy put-putting around at 5 knots (which can be fun, but might not be suitable for the waters around NYC), in which case you want a folding RIB, at least 10' long, OR you resign yourself to needing to keep your boat on some kind of trailer, in which case you ought to be able to find something in your budget, maybe a little scruffy, along the lines of a 13' or 14' RIB with preferably 30hp or so, and wheel steering. The longer the better, as small differences in length, at this size, make huge differences in stability and seaworthiness.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 15:42   #5

Hey guys ive only found one boat that meets the requirements i seek its the inflatable sports boats dolphin model only weighs 60 lbs and can accept a 10 HP engine. Cost is $1099. I was just given this info by customer service:

4 HP – 8-12 mph
6 HP – 15-18 mph
10 HP – 25-30mph

Dolphin boat in bag weighs: 60 lbs
Oars: 3.5 lbs
Bench seat: 4.5 lbs
Total in bag: 68 lbs

I would have to get a used engine which would probably weigh 60 to 90 lbs and cost 600 to 800.

Of course theres always the risk that the boat would be unstable at high speeds.
Old 01-06-2018, 15:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you are planning on using this in the Hudson by NYC you will most likely wind up on the evening news!
I live on the bay said near Jamaica Bay and Coney Island, the water around here is almost always flat. Did you mean id get run over in the shipping lanes?
Old 01-06-2018, 15:58   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Hey guys ive only found one boat that meets the requirements i seek its the inflatable sports boats dolphin model only weighs 60 lbs and can accept a 10 HP engine. Cost is $1099. I was just given this info by customer service:

4 HP – 8-12 mph
6 HP – 15-18 mph
10 HP – 25-30mph

I would have to get a used engine which would probably weigh 60 to 90 lbs and cost 600 to 800.

Of course theres always the risk that the boat would be unstable at high speeds.
That looks like the perfect boat for you. Don't forget a PFD and make sure you wear it.
Old 01-06-2018, 16:11   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have no stock in Sea Eagle, but I do have one of their inflatable kayaks and I am happy with it. I have the 420x which holds the whole family. You might go to their website and check the 106SR with the inflatable floor (which is surprisingly rigid.) it’s one of their sport runabout inflatable boats.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:05   #9

Boat: Cal 33-2

Don't see anything special in that Inflatable Sport Boats Dolphin. It's an 8.8 ft inflatable with an air floor. Almost certainly from China. I doubt it can take a 10hp engine and perform well even if they say it can. Looks like a reasonable option with something like a 6hp, but so would any inflatable with a solid wood or aluminum floor or high pressure air floor of similar size.

To save weight and cost, look for a good used two-stoke engine.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03   #10

Having done my fare share of hudson fun, this is my advice:

Go on craigslist and look for a used hypalon boat, they last decades if not abused and you can get a lot of boat for the $ if you get a 1990s model. Stick with brands Avon and Achilles as all their models from that vintage used that fabric and are well built.

Get a 10 to 12 foot boat. They come in a variety of different floors. Air floors, slat floors, wood floors, solid fibergalss. The fiberglass wont roll up and its heavy which means slower speeds unless you go with bigger motors, fiberglass will be rugged and plane well but it also beats you up as you slam into chop at high speed.

Air floors and slat floors are very easy to set up (unroll and inflate) but they usually are limeted as to how much horsepower they can take. If you go with a solid floor made of panels (wood or aluminum) it can be stored tight, will give you good rigidity but it will take an aditional 5 to 10min to set up at launch, I recommend this option for your needs.

As for motors, these older boats where designed for 2 strokes, I would stick with them as they give you the most power to weight. If you are using the boat alot, then a 4stroke makes more sense (fuel consumption, environmental impact, etc) but they are heavier and you wont like taking it on or off.

For best speeds, especially on sibs, make sure you get those tubes and air keel nice and firm. The difference in performance between a 100% pumped and 90% pumped tube is substantial. Temperature changes mean you will want to top off the tubes after every few hours if you are out all day. When purchasing the boat, take a spray bottle of soapy water and test for leaks. If patching only use two part cements.

My advice is a 10 footer SIB with the wood panels with a 15hp 2stroke (it weights the same as a 9.9). You can find this package for aroun $1000 if you look. This will be quite fast with a single person, fast enough with two.. and with 3 or 4 you wont be planing easy nor fast. The hudson current opposing wind can be quite choppy, and this may merit a bigger boat..

In which case, look for a 12 footer with a 25hp 2stroke. This will be a rocket solo, fast with 2 or 3, and with 4 be pleasent.

A 10 foot sib (soft inflatable boat) will weight around 100# and the 15hp around 78# (remove the starter motor). A 12 footer will be around 150# and motor around 110#.

Have fun, always have a waterproof radio, vest and light strapped on your person and crew. I rescued two capsized dinhys last summer.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Look on Ebay.com, I have seen some name brands listed that were reasonable as well as never before heard of Nautiline ? with 4 HP Hidea 4 stroke?? for about 1200. Also check Amazon, I bought an off brand name of BALTIK 12 foot with blow up insert for floor for about 900. Made in Ukraine I think, seems good quality. I put an old 10 hp 2 stroke on it and it planes easily with two adults.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:25   #12

Quote:

west marine
Zodiac NO
sea eagle NO
Newport Vessells ?
nuwave ?
brig ?
saturn ?
inflatable sports boats ?

West Marine NO
Achilles YES

Boat Engines:
Honda
Tohatsu
Suzuki
Kawasaki
Mercury
Evinrude
I'd get 10 ft for your specification. Air floor may work out ok for you, hard floor better. A rollup with Aluminum floor may be ok too. You are going to need 15 HP for 3-4 people and plane. Otherwise even 5 hp will get you non planing hull speed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26   #13

What LeandroFlaherty said. I had a Zodiac 10'6 (aluminum floor) w 15 Suzuki 2 sroke. It would (and certainly did) do what you want it to do. I think it's impossible to buy "new" even just the dinghy that is robust (large tube diameter)and stiff enough to handle several adults at speed in any body of water, the Hudson/East river or any of your estuaries included: they get choppy. Be patient and check the used market.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

4 HP – 8-12 mph
6 HP – 15-18 mph
10 HP – 25-30mph

You are going to carry this boat and 9.9hp motor up to an apartment? Don't forget the gas tank
Their speeds in all likelihood are with a sole person.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:10   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For storage size, you want an air floor.

FWIW, I have similar constraints...I live about 800m from Lake Ontario (in Kingston) but for many years had no car. I wanted a boat I could "walk" down to the lake. I ended up with a Zodiac with an 8hp outboard on the stern. I had the advantage of a backyard, so I could setup and rig completely at home. I built a dolly out of a hand truck and lumber. It took a long time to inflate, mount the engine, get everything aboard, then walk slowly down to the lake and launch. It took even longer doing it in reverse afterwards, because it was all uphill to get home.

However, I had the time. And it made for a full day of adventure. I tried to go on calm days. We would go to one of the close islands (Cedar or Milton) or a beach (Arrowhead beach at CFB Kingston). Often we would just cruise the waterfront enjoying the show...or maybe WE were the show.

Anyway, I would certainly do it all again.

For your situation, you could make it work if you got a decent inflatable, around 10 feet, air bottom, but used oars. You wouldn't go far, but you would be able to row about, and the whole kit would be able to go with you on a cart to and from your apartment.

Another possibility would be a rent a parking spot, and get a RIB (with outboard) on a single axle trailer. However, it would be very unlikely for you to find this within your budget, and you would need a tow to the water. If you are a burly hulk of a man, you might be able to manhandle the trailer, but it would be exhausting.

Have you considered membership at a local boat club that has shared use boats, or "dry slips"?

I've attached some pictures. They reminded me that I got the zodiac while living in an apartment. I used a marina cart to move the zodiac. No engine. I got the engine after moving to a house with a backyard. And finally, I did all this with a couple of small kids in tow. In fact, I did it for the kids. It was a real life adventure every time. No regrets. I would do it all again, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	170963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	170964  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5173.JPG