Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 09:01   #1

In the Hunt!!!

This is my first post! New member as well. Within a couple years of retirement. Have been Looking at taking up cruising for a good while. Looking at both motor and sail, love them both but spouse unsure of sailing and seeks the height and light of motor yatchts instinctively. Examined Nordhavn, Kadey-Krogen, Selene, and Mainship. Have grasp of hull and systems design and config of all but Mainship. Know of the Marlow Buy but having trouble with finding details of construction and propulsion, hull config et all. Focus is 40 to 50 ft. Are they still in business and where to find good info on the mainship... Get mixed reviews and scarce detail on line!!!!!
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 10:17   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: In the Hunt!!!

Welcome.

We had a Mainship III 34' "trawler" back in the mid-90's and liked it. Very decent build quality, comparable to the other brands in the Luhrs family line-up: Silverton, Mainship, Luhrs, and Ovation powerboats, plus Hunter sailboats.

The Luhrs Group recently went through a bankruptcy. Marlow bought Hunter and Mainship, the Egg Harbor Group bought Silverton and Ovation, and some private builder in Florida bought Luhrs. In the case of Hunter, Marlow got a working business... and they seem to be reviving Mainship. In the case of Silverton, EHG got the molds, two actual hulls (that they've finished into boats for sale), and some parts; can't say whether Silverton and Ovation will rise up from the ashes. Dunno much about the Luhrs outcome.

My guess -- from reading, not from first-hand knowledge -- is that Marlow builds better quality than the Luhrs Group "Chevrolets" so I would expect new Mainship models to be very nice.

The older Mainship models, i.e., pre-Marlow, have for the most part been well received as good coastal boats, good value for money, outfitted with decent systems, and easily sustainable over time. There has been a Mainship owner's group online, but I think it waxes and wanes, not sure about current status.

I don't know much about Selene, but Nordhavn is top-drawer (some models transoceanic-capable), and the Krogen's mostly look very good (coastal) except for one model I never cared for (and can't remember the name of).

-Chris
Old 25-07-2013, 10:48   #3

Thanks Chris that is helpful. Mainship 400 interesting but surprised at limited range of under 400 miles! Want blue water capable boat and not sure Mainship has that capability to a great degree. Any thoughts on where to look for detail in Mainship Hull lay-up technique during the last decade?
Old 25-07-2013, 10:51   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good luck in your search. Not a powerboat guy here but wish you well in your research.
kind regards,
Old 25-07-2013, 10:54   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I don't think mainship is going to be able to cover your desire for bluewater capable. These boats were just not made for that purpose.
But then again, what do you think of when you say bluewater capable?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:15   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Focus is 40 to 50 ft.
Welcome to the forum.

Very few motor yachts in the 40-50' range are going to be capable of passage making. You certainly won't find semi-displacement boats such as those Mainship builds with transoceanic capability anywhere near that size.

A good starting point would be a realistic assessment of what sort of range you'll need a boat to have. If you hope to cross oceans, you'll either have to spend a small fortune for a suitable motor yacht or start looking at sail.
Old 25-07-2013, 11:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

What kind of range would you like to have?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 15:02   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Thanks Chris that is helpful. Mainship 400 interesting but surprised at limited range of under 400 miles! Want blue water capable boat and not sure Mainship has that capability to a great degree. Any thoughts on where to look for detail in Mainship Hull lay-up technique during the last decade?

There's blue water... and then there's blue water. The Mainship trawlers with semi-displacement hulls (i.e., not referring to the planing hull boats they built for a while, at least in the '90s) are certainly capable of island hopping throughout most of the Caribbean. In comfort, generally, with useful marine and household systems. With decent range between marinas or anchorages. If that's what you mean by blue water.

Assuming layout suited, I wouldn't hesitate to own one (and in fact, we shopped closely on the 400 and 430 ourselves, but went a different direction).

OTOH, if you mean passage making across oceans... nope, not the right sort of boat... partly because of hull design, partly because of tankage, partly because of systems, etc. And that's not the market Mainship aimed at, which you'll see reflected in cost.

Don't know where you might find out lay-up info. I've not heard anything special about the original Mainship's laminate schedule, but it would be similar to Silverton, Luhrs, Ovation, and pre-Marlow Hunter. If you can find out about those, Mainship would likely be the same (our "Mainship" was documented as a Silverton build). Not Kevlar, not vacuum infused, probably not vacuum bagged... I think just layers of gelcoat in the mould, followed by layers of glass matting with boatloads of resin rolled out... Strong enough, probably up to a couple inches thick, but nothing fancy. marlow may be changing all that, since they're touting their own laminate process.

-Chris
Old 25-07-2013, 21:46   #9

Mainship has a yahoo group. Very active.

Chas McKeown
43 Mainship
Offtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 03:48   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rick, and Offtrail..

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good luck in your search. Not a powerboat guy here but wish you well in your research.
kind regards,
Thanks, quite a bit of ground to cover!
Old 27-07-2013, 12:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I don't think mainship is going to be able to cover your desire for bluewater capable. These boats were just not made for that purpose.
But then again, what do you think of when you say bluewater capable?
Agree. Seem like a good value alternative. To be clear, it is the sea-worthiness of the blue water options that interests me. Too early to know if I will cross oceans but seems too early to rule it out as well!
Old 27-07-2013, 12:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Welcome to the forum.

Very few motor yachts in the 40-50' range are going to be capable of passage making. You certainly won't find semi-displacement boats such as those Mainship builds with transoceanic capability anywhere near that size.

A good starting point would be a realistic assessment of what sort of range you'll need a boat to have. If you hope to cross oceans, you'll either have to spend a small fortune for a suitable motor yacht or start looking at sail.
Thanks
We are looking at sail too but though I am good with it my life long mate is uneasy. While I look for a good sample sail in a low threat and non-intimidating environment for her to gain a feel, we are researching both. It is the seaworthiness of some of the more blue water oats that interests me... Keeps lots of excursion options open I think.
Rick
Old 27-07-2013, 12:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What kind of range would you like to have?
David, thanks
I see krogen, Selene, nordhavn options that range over 1000 miles. Like a single engine Diesel with a wing engine and thrusters. I do not discount older boats either but obviously would have to consider obscolesence. Pure displacement hulls seems more tailored for long distance and efficiency. Researching as many options as we can along these lines...
Old 27-07-2013, 12:31   #15

Good thoughts Chris. It is likely that the island hopping scenario will be the extent of our adventures. It is early and I do not want to rule anything out too soon and the seaworthiness of the more blue water craft is what is attractive. Looked at nordhavn, Selene, and Krogen. I like the pure displacement hull single engine with wing configuration. Thrusters a must with one engine. What research I have done tells me the the three mentioned above likely will handle ocean conditions and following seas better than semi- displacement even without stabilization. I would probably be OK popping offshore and along the coast in a mainship or a albin but they seem a little less suitable for a crossing from Fla to the Bahamas ... Looking for all suitable options from practitioners perspectives... Thanks!