Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-03-2007, 17:36   #76

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I love the Launchees. What better fun than to sit in your cockpit with some mates and a beer and laugh at the antics of these guys playing dodgem boats trying to park their 500hp 40 footers. They never use the wind to their advantage (they probably dont even own clothes lines at home) and make a hillarious sight after their days fishing.

Old 11-03-2007, 18:38   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottygirlz

What makes me crazy are the generalities. You operate a powerboat, so on the water you MUST surely be an a$$hole. You operate a powerboat so life must suck since you can only afford to go cruising once a month etc. etc.

K...I'm gonna shut up now.

Lori
Around where I sail it seems about 50% of people operate their boats with basic courtesy. Of the other half about half of that are complete idiots and the rest go beyond basic courtesy. This seems to apply to boat powerboaters and sailboaters.

I have had power boats charge me (yes I mean come straight at me even when I try to manuver out of their way) and I have had other sailboats tack in front of me thinking they somehow they can tack into right of way. I do get frustrated with them, and I might even offer to let them come over and talk about it, but I also understand I have to avoid a collision so I just do what I need to do. Once it is over I go back to the peace and calm of a nice sail.

I think the discourtesy we see in boating is part of the larger problem of people thinking they are somehow special and entitled and you need to understand this and just give them their due.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 18:43   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I think the discourtesy we see in boating is part of the larger problem of people thinking they are somehow special and entitled and you need to understand this and just give them their due.
This is DEAD ON.

I do have one tip for semi-displacement and planing power boaters that are considerate enough to slow down when passing close to sailboats.... please don't!

I find that the size of the wake comes from the amount of boat that is submerged combined with the speed that submerged portion is going.

Often, considerate power boaters slow down just enough to be at maximum hull speed without being up on plane, creating an even bigger wake.

Out in open areas, please do pass me at full throttle, planing and flying along as god intended. Much less wake that way.
Old 11-03-2007, 18:55   #79

Hey we have one thing here that hasnt been mentioned so far............we have......"CHARTER BOATs".......No license nessesary, no experience nessesary.......40 foot of boat, 12 pissed "football players" "corporate execs" "insert other group here" all reving each other up. And then screaming at each other as they charge head long into trafic....'NO YOU GO ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CHANEL...NO ITS THE FRIIN RIGHT SIDE...LEFT....RIGHT.....LOOK OUT FOR THAT BOAT.....WHO WANTS TO TAKE THE WHEEL......at which point l enact one of the most important of the Colregs...which states "all boats must give way imediately to large dinted, paint scraped, hire boats, whilst giving the verbal signal "whatthabloodyhelldoyouthinkyourdoing" and the hand signal "single middle finger extended and raised from closed hand with back of hand towards other boat"..............and they can be sailboats too.....
Old 11-03-2007, 19:11   #80

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Good point Seafox, the behaviour up here is a lot worse than the sounds. I guess having the interislander ferries to contend with makes everyone in the sounds a lot more cautious. (or is it just Aucklanders and not specifically stinkpotters that are inconsiderate?)

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 21:38   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It certainly isn't good in our sound. I'm feed up with the dipsticks passing me too close/too fast. Passing ont eh wrongside I can live with. But the wake from a big boat passing close at speed is a pain. I went out in the middle of the night and it was pitch black. I was shocked at the number of fizz boats heading out so late. But what really shocked me was that none of them had any lights at all. I knew they were there by the engine sound only and the wake after they had passed. If one broke down in the channel, I would mow them flat. Not to mention the drift wood in the channel at times. I wouldn't want to hike it out the channel at full noise not knowing what was in the water.
Lori, I am sure if a sailboat could go fast, there would be numbskulls doing just the same in a sailboat as well. the only difference is the speed a powerboat can go vs a sailboat.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 21:47   #82

I had my sailboat going fast on Sunday, great sailing breeze.

Old 11-03-2007, 22:47   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
It certainly isn't good in our sound. I'm feed up with the dipsticks passing me too close/too fast. Passing ont eh wrongside I can live with. But the wake from a big boat passing close at speed is a pain. I went out in the middle of the night and it was pitch black. I was shocked at the number of fizz boats heading out so late. But what really shocked me was that none of them had any lights at all. I knew they were there by the engine sound only and the wake after they had passed. If one broke down in the channel, I would mow them flat. Not to mention the drift wood in the channel at times. I wouldn't want to hike it out the channel at full noise not knowing what was in the water.
Lori, I am sure if a sailboat could go fast, there would be numbskulls doing just the same in a sailboat as well. the only difference is the speed a powerboat can go vs a sailboat.
Speed is but one difference...But Im amazed really.
Its against the law to travel at night without proper nav lights here.The RCMP will nail you with big fines if you dont get crushed by a tug or a frieghter or a barge full of logs first.I mean it gets so dark and fog bound nothing short of radar will work
Our water here is very Fiord -like ...very rocky...to go out in the dark without radar~and navigational lights~ is pretty stupid....suicide really.
Old 12-03-2007, 00:28   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwederell
Good point Seafox, the behaviour up here is a lot worse than the sounds. I guess having the interislander ferries to contend with makes everyone in the sounds a lot more cautious. (or is it just Aucklanders and not specifically stinkpotters that are inconsiderate?)
those Aucklanders are certainly another breed. Alan, if you have ever sailed in Auckland you would thank your lucky stars for what you have.
Old 12-03-2007, 00:36   #85

Next time out on our own boat I'll post some pix about what we have to contend with.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:05   #86

I used to sail in Auckland. You have to watch out for other boats ALL the time. You don't even get time to get another beer from down below.
When you get to your bay it looks like a Marina. There are hundreds of boats in the good anchorages.

Pete could click his camera in any direction and get more boats in the one shot than we would see in a week.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Notwithstanding the “rules” (the overtaken vessel is “stand-on” - maintain course & speed), if you (a sailboat) want to help a powerboat make a safe comfortable pass - slow down.
This reduces the time spent in overtaking, and reduces the speed at which he must pass.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capct
Speed is but one difference...But Im amazed really.
Its against the law to travel at night without proper nav lights here.The RCMP will nail you with big fines if you dont get crushed by a tug or a frieghter or a barge full of logs first.I mean it gets so dark and fog bound nothing short of radar will work
Our water here is very Fiord -like ...very rocky...to go out in the dark without radar~and navigational lights~ is pretty stupid....suicide really.
A lot of things are against the law in a lot of places. Too bad people are starting to learn they can do what they like with little repurcussion as there seems to be a lack of enforcement, not just in marine land.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
A lot of things are against the law in a lot of places. Too bad people are starting to learn they can do what they like with little repurcussion as there seems to be a lack of enforcement, not just in marine land.
someone once said the quickest way to lose a democracy is for good men to do nothing.

Not many cops on the water up here to be sure but up here in Canuckistan the biggest deterrent to stupidity is the water itself....30 minutes in the water ...and well....your dead....

You only get to be a dumbass once then you end up as crab-bait

The guys on the docks around will have a "chat" with a operator of any boat that fragrantly and constantly ignores common courtesy towards his neighbors which is to say they dont get away with it for long....
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25   #90
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Conflating Edmund Burke

Actually, Capct, Edmund Burke said:

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

And he also said:

“In a democracy, the majority of the citizens is capable of exercising the most cruel oppressions upon the minority”

So it is possible that you are conflating the two quotations into the expression you used in your post #89.

That said, however, I fully agree with the sentiment of your post. When someone acts like a jerk, it seldom goes unnoticed. Fearful people usually resort to an anonymous call to the police, but it is often more effective to confront the jerk, not in a rude or threatening way, but in a friendly yet firm manner. Most people know when they've gone over the line, and a little "chat" is often enough to put things right.

TaoJones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: