Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_makai
A sailboard fits those parameters, but is a little light on storgage, sleeping, and space for a motor if needed. But can be thrown on the car and even be stored in the front room of an apartment........
Of course it already exists. There are hundreds of high performance cruising multihulls around. I am just building another. With more than adequate storage, sleeping and motor space. In fact in space terms it is comparable to a small apartment.......
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 17:56   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Hey now! Watch it blow boater!
Rick, I have a wee story.
A Man was sitting at a puddle at the side of aroad. He was dangling a fishing line in the puddle and had a tackle box beside him. Another man came along on his bike. Seeing the Fisherman with his line in the puddle, he thought hmmmm, not a full load up top and made a smart comment, "how many have you caught so far?"
"well" said the fisherman, "you'd be the third today".

All I can say is, fishing was good at the Cruisers forum today Rick. ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
You know Alan is joking. The words boat and fast just don't go together. We all like slow that is why we're not pilots.
I have no idea whether he is joking or not.I have met enough ragboaters in my life to honestly say the attitude he projects is not original and is to be found in most regions of the world.His original comments were not meant to be a joke

Sailing is the least most popular form of boating and there are way fewer sailboats on the water than any other type of vessel.People use canoes more than they use sailboats.Trying to find an identity in the world of boating is tough enough for a medium that is old and essentially outdated.Most ragboaters spend half of their time under the power of their engine while they spend all of their time postulating that there is nothing as purist as a sailboat.

Give me a man who owns a sailboat with no motor and THEN I'll show you a REAL sailor....otherwise there isnt an argument.

They are classified as auxillery sailboats by the CG if they have an engine

I was also taken a back by the comment that sailboaters are more educated than say cabin cruisers.....I was stunned to actually find refrences to that on the interenet by the CG and it is true!....46% of sail only sailboaters have a higher level of education regarding the ocean...to 35% respectively of cabin cruiser pilots....HOWEVER...if you have an engine on board your sailboat you are classified as an auxillery sailboat and you are at 31% ....less educated than both cabin crusier pilots and sail only sailboaters

...now THAT"S FUNNY
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Not only am I saving up for a powerboat............it will hopefully be a Bayliner!

Do I have to walk the plank?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No I really like Bayliners. But my favorite would be the Riviera (spell?) I have worked on a few and think their build quality is scond to none.
Dave, trust me, if I am ever seriouse, you will know. However, if you see this ;-) it means a wink to suggest I am joking. If you see this ;-) it is so you doubly know I am joking. If you see this :-) it is a big cheesy grin to suggest I am just having fun.
It is true that us Kiwi's have a sense of humour that tends to be very "tongue in cheek". But we laugh with ya, not at ya. The Ozies have a similar sense of humour, but they laugh at ya, not with ya ;-) :-)

Old 09-03-2007, 11:46   #51
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I got a buddy with a "Baygrinder" and he's not allowed on here!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:19   #52
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For Capct, a REAL Sailor

In Post #48, Capct states, "Give me a man who owns a sailboat with no motor and THEN I'll show you a REAL sailor....otherwise there isnt an argument."

It sounds like he doesn't believe such a sailor still exists, so I commend to him the following website, and assure Capct that such people do indeed exist. If he (or anyone else) takes the time to read through this fine site, he will learn a great deal, both about sailing and about life.

The author of the site, James Baldwin, not only did a solo circumnavigation in his 1963 Pearson Triton, he trumped that by removing the vessel's Atomic 4 to gain more stowage capacity and circumnavigated again! This man is without question, a REAL sailor!

Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei

TaoJones
Old 09-03-2007, 13:54   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you didn't have a motor in the boat, you would never get out of the marina I am in.

Old 09-03-2007, 14:05   #54
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
If you didn't have a motor in the boat, you would never get out of the marina I am in.
Kai Nui's "Kittiwake" was engineless wasn't it? I seem to remember him talking about sailing her into and out of the slip.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 15:49   #55
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Oh no... Kittiwake had an engine .. it was GREAT ballast. Normally, he used sweeps to get in and out of the harbor/slip.

I think it is very responsible to take a nice 36+ foot boat and sail it in and out of a slip in a crowded harbor and hell... skip the insurance too!

Me .. I'm just over conservative I guess. With 46 LOA, 33,000 pound, full with cutaway keel ... being the sissy I am, I use my engine in and out of the slip - and to set my anchor (although there was this one time in Santa Cruz (the town) anchorage, I set my anchor with my mizzen).

But I get REALLY Risque when I take my dinghy out to play - only take a paddle as additional propulsion should the wind die.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 16:19   #56

I agree with Alan . It is true that there is a slight difference between the humour of the Australian mainland and our far eastern two islands............ : ) !!
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 17:10   #57

you think im joking.......... "The States" shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia, as for the time being are parts of the Commonwealth, and such colonies or territories as may be admitted into or established by the Commonwealth as States; and each of such parts of the Commonwealth shall be called "a State". Section 6,Preamble to the Australian Constitution .................................................. ...........................................tehe he he (new zealand for "thats funny !!)
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 17:39   #58

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I own both sail and power. Sometimes I want to sail and relax at 6 knots. Sometimes I want to cruise at 30+ knots chasing bluefin tuna with a flyrod. Hope thats okay with everyone.
Back in the day, "leaving on the tide" meant just that - drifting out of the harbor with the tide. Seaman conducted their trade in ships without engines for a long time. Today, I doubt that there are many commercial vessels left that are not power driven.
Stinkpot - ragboat - good seamanship does not belong exclusively to either group. Those of you that see yourselves as "pure" sailors might do well to remember that, if you call for help, a fossil fuel burning craft, air or sea, is what you are praying will show up and save you. As to people belonging here, it says "Cruiser's Forum" not "Sailor's Only" on the door.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 20:54   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah maybe cooper, but then we got ourselves an Airforce and Navy so you Ozies would keep ya cotton pickin mits off our Islands. ;-) :-)

Our Marina lays at the end of a Sound, with hills and Valleys all around. The first channel leading directly out of the Marina, is only a little over two boats wide and lye's directly into the most common wind direction. This channel is about 1000m in length. You then have to turn 90degrees to starboard around a point that is called, "Pull in be damn'd". This is a cresent shape point and you have to pull right into the shore. You have only two boat widths in places here and the tidal flow around it can be easily 3kts. Then you come a further 40 deg to stb and line up two markers and travel about 500m, then 40 deg to Prt. From this point on it is possible to sail if the wind is OK, but the tidal flow at full stream can be upto 1.5kts across the channel, so you do need to keep a good line to the next marker about another 400m away. Once there you have a turn to Stb again of another 40deg and the tidal flow at this point can be 3kts. From there on you are into a wide open area, but still restricted by a channel and it's markers for several K's. In all, it's ruffly 7Kms of channel and about 50% of it safely sailable.
At 7Kts, it can take me an hr to get through the channel with tide close to slack, or 1.5hrs if I have a tide flowing.

I do know of one trip Kai nui did that he tacked fro three hrs to get out his marina Channle and gave up and went back home. So even he sometimes could do with an engine. Which was fitted in the end by the way.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:17   #60
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do you have a friend named Sundance?

Hey, Wheels, can we be sure you're not a train robber, and your marina isn't called the Hole in the Wall?!

TaoJones