Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 06:45   #1

I'm baaaack...

Hello all,

For those who have insight into winter travel. What are your thoughts on a boat delivery in February?
The boat that I am hoping to acquire, is currently located mid way through the East Coast. I have to bring it up here to Boston. I could wait until April??? But, if deliveries are possible in winter, I would much prefer to bring it up sooner than later. Harsh winter month...Any thoughts?
Old 24-11-2013, 06:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
No problem, take a few days and head up the ICW. Boats move all the time in winter months.

So what did you end up with?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:12   #3

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: I'm baaaack...

You go GalaxyGirl....give Boatman a shout....he probably would love to come over for the trip up.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
No problem, take a few days and head up the ICW. Boats move all the time in winter months.

I have done a delivery south to north in winter. If it is even a moderate winter, you will be predominately headed and the possibility of encountering damaging skim ice in rivers and ponds where one might seek shelter. The ocean is not going to freeze but your decks and rigging could be weighed down by frozen spray. Been there and it's not fun. Not me again.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

Ok, good to know That's what I thought, but wasn't positive.

I haven't purchased yet. But, I have decided on a boat, (pending inspections, of course). My house sale fell apart a few days before closing. (Buyer lied to the bank, and they found out ) But, I have a new buyer and new anticipated close date at the end of January (fingers crossed xxxxx)

Moving the boat up in Spring would be ideal, but I am just not that patient.
Old 24-11-2013, 07:26   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

While people do move boats all the time, I personally would not sail a new-to-me boat up to Boston in February if I could comfortably wait until April to do it. It's only two months but it is dramatically different weather in that area. East coast nor'easters in February/March are no fun to sail in and it seems like a nice big one rolls through every couple of years.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:35   #7

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I f it were me I would wait until April. After you purchase... Consider getting any work done near where the boat is located now....probably better climate to get repairs made. Then during those two months consider going down for some long weekends and maybe take some lessons. Before you know it conditions will be much better for a safe passage to Boston.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:45   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Hello all,

For those who have insight into winter travel. What are your thoughts on a boat delivery in February?
The boat that I am hoping to acquire, is currently located mid way through the East Coast. I have to bring it up here to Boston. I could wait until April??? But, if deliveries are possible in winter, I would much prefer to bring it up sooner than later. Harsh winter month...Any thoughts?

If you haven't, already, you might also post in the other forum, too. Folks over there have been asking after your progress

I start commissioning our boat in March, as early as I can stand it. (Mostly the "cold hands" problem that comes with arthritis and old age.) It's often "fresh" out there at that time of the year, not particularly comfortable... Not impossible, just not necessarily fun all the time.

I guess I'd say if you're going to make the trip, too, along with your delivery captain, you'd probably get off to a more enjoyable maiden voyage (not counting sea trial) if you wait a bit.

If it needs some specific work in the meantime, there are probably good folks near where the boat is... and in any case, that'd give you much more time to sort out the "furnace" idea later in the year.

-Chris
Old 24-11-2013, 07:45   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

being allergic as i am to coldville, i think ye should wait until it is a lil more comfortable to go...this is a tough life or the uninitiated.
cold on water on a boat can be a major bitch. not just frozen water around you, but your feet will be warmed by that cold water. gods dont make thick enough uggs for that one.
i think you may wish to depart at a time when the hard water outside your boat is a little bit softer on your feet, and a tad less noisey on your hull.
when regular uggs still work at keeping your feet a little bit warm and the icebergs are somewhat smaller, and fit inside a glass.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:26   #10

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Good to hear. Best wishs! If you have questions let us know.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:32   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay girl.. glad ye didnt do something dum like find a man..... them things can be a lil distracting sometimes....
especially when you are on a mission........

buy many pairs of uggs.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:45   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Any time is a good time if you have heat solid boat and time.. Bad weather is bad when it snows. Cost you more fuel and more time. Go south young lady enjoy the warmth and bring her up in the spring. But of course you don't own her yet so all comments are relative

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:54   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Have not spent much time east of the Mississippi and have done no deliveries on the east coast but I would be inclined to listen to the locals. If you put the deal together, GG, you can familiarize yourself with your new boat insitu, a few local cruises, perhaps begin on the inevitable 'hit list' and before you know it, you will be ready to head north. Congratulations by the way... sounds like you are making progress towards your dream! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:13   #14

The trip would be much more enjoyable in the spring.

Spend a couple of months planning the trip and you're there.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:37   #15

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Congrats on finding your boat. I hope both the home sale and boat purchase go well for you.

I work inside the boat during the winter with heat. While it's tolerable, there is no way I would want to be on the water up here in New England in February.

Another factor to consider is the length of daylight for a passage. Waiting from mid-February to mid-April will give you an extra three hours/day of sunlight. Once you're familiar with your boat, you'll be very comfortable working at night. On the first voyage, I expect you'll appreciate daylight visibility.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote