Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 18:18   #1

I Learned Something Today!

It's true. The more boats that you walk on, the more you will learn. Today I learned that I do not want a bend over engine room. They are hot and cramped. There is no space to do anything. I don't even understand how folks access the different equipment. If something breaks, you have to rip out other systems to get to it? That's insane.

Stand-up engine rooms are definitely the way to go.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:22   #2

Re: I learned something today!

This is a good example of how experience is a great teacher... and there are so many little things to learn like the type of engine room config that you simply have to get on and sail lots of boats before committing.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 18:24   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I'm six foot one, 200 lbs. and I access my engine room through a door the size of a kitchen cabinet door, behind the companionway stairs. And the floor is the hull, so it's tilted. And the "headroom" is about 4.5". I stare at the door every time I have to go in and mutter "Can't t his wait?". Even checking the oil is a job for a contortionist.

I'm single by the way, and looking. If you are slight and under 5'2", mechanically inclined give me a shout.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 18:33   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm six foot one, 200 lbs. and I access my engine room through a door the size of a kitchen cabinet door, behind the companionway stairs. And the floor is the hull, so it's tilted. And the "headroom" is about 4.5". I stare at the door every time I have to go in and mutter "Can't t his wait?". Even checking the oil is a job for a contortionist.

I'm single by the way, and looking. If you are slight and under 5'2", mechanically inclined give me a shout.

One of the most liberating things about my new engine is the location to check and change the oil, which no longer requires a contortionist. In addition, on the old engine you had to remove the water pump to change the impeller. No more!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 19:35   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: I Learned Something Today!

Hiya Suijin! You're looking for a diesel mechanic mate; not a wife! What a goof!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 23-06-2013, 19:57   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

G Girl, I still think you should be looking at some of the steel boats bilt in Seattle WA. The are from 50 ft up with large engine rooms and most times they have long range tankage. In the 55 to 70 ft size you should find everything you might wish from state rooms to room to work below ! Just a thought
Old 23-06-2013, 20:07   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
G Girl, I still think you should be looking at some of the steel boats bilt in Seattle WA. The are from 50 ft up with large engine rooms and most times they have long range tankage. In the 55 to 70 ft size you should find everything you might wish from state rooms to room to work below ! Just a thought

I have a friend with a 44' Islander and you can walk around his engine like it was a blender on the kitchen counter or something. With the right boat you don't have to go "huge."
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 20:11   #8

Boat: Orca 38

I wish I had a walk in engine room......mines more of a crawl in engine room. Everything's accessible, but ya still gotta crawl in.
Old 23-06-2013, 21:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mines very accessible sides, top, front, even the back. Should say that's the case for now. When I put the galley and counter back in it's back to the black hole.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 04:59   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
It's true. The more boats that you walk on, the more you will learn. Today I learned that I do not want a bend over engine room. They are hot and cramped. There is no space to do anything. I don't even understand how folks access the different equipment. If something breaks, you have to rip out other systems to get to it? That's insane.

Stand-up engine rooms are definitely the way to go.

You can also extend that thinking to AROUND, not just up and down

Consider that many engines in a twin-screw arrangement have service components on both inboard and outboard sides. Usually oil and fuel filters are remounted inboard if necessary, but anodes (zincs) and so forth... not so much... so access to the outboard sides of engines can be a factor too.

And then there's the generator(s). And the AC pumps. Et cetera....

Sometimes a low engine room can be nicely supplemented by removable hatches above, although I suspect that's less likely in the range of boats you're shopping.

-Chris
Old 24-06-2013, 07:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Can you post a link for me so I can take a look? Ya know I'm wide open
Old 24-06-2013, 14:59   #12

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Thumbs up Re: I Learned Something Today!

Boat size isn't an issue if the boat is well thought out. .our defever 41 is easy to work on..lift the 3 hatches in the saon and you have easy access to engine/tranny/gen set/batteries and all the plumbing stuff..art defever IS THE MAN!!
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 15:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
Boat size isn't an issue if the boat is well thought out. .our defever 41 is easy to work on..lift the 3 hatches in the saon and you have easy access to engine/tranny/gen set/batteries and all the plumbing stuff..art defever IS THE MAN!!
I would like to take a look at that kind of set-up. Sounds interesting. The boat that I looked at had one way in, and one way out. It was very tight and I couldn't see a way to access the equipment. It was really clostrophobic. The owner was a small person and says he works down there all the time. I would have to give my kids Diesel engine classes, cuz at 5' 9", I'm not fitting in there.
Old 24-06-2013, 16:04   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Through hatches in the pilothouse floor, I'm able to climb in the engine compartment and sit down. There's no crawling.

On each side of the engine, there is a battery box for a seat.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 16:05   #15

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

take up yoga (works for me) or...get a bigger boat
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote