Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 21:48   #1

How many of you

have holding tanks for the head?
In 10 years the law says we all have to have them in our boats in BC.
Ive had them in mine for 35 years.A lot of better designed power boats have them...most sailboats Ive be on however do not have tanks for blackwater.They often lack the space to put one in ....after construction....nearly impossible,yet thats what they are all going to have to do.
In the States ....in Washington just south of here the uscg will seal your head shut if you dont have a tank and they will wire your pumpout shut.
Is this going to far?
I guess the US Pacific NW has millions of boats compared to the few million we have in all of Canada.So by extension that is a lot more crap to contend with.
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 00:24   #2

The simple solution is a "porta potty"
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 00:36   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here is the skinny for the Pac. N.W.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...p?new_state=WA
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:36   #4

Boat: C&C 27
The discharge laws in the US have gradually changed and today I would guess that most boats have some type of tank. Many boats that have tanks pump out directly into the bay anyway. My boat did not come with a tank and the simple solution was to add a Raritan wrap around tank. It works great, makes you legal and uses space that would otherwise be wasted. It can be fixed permanently or used like a porta potty, although if you are willing to dump a porta potty that is a much cheaper solution.

Raritan Engineering | Compact Holding Tanks

Sunday morning I woke up just as a neighbor was coming in from a night sail on his fairly new Catalina 36. A few minutes later I left the boat and walked passed some of his crew using the restroom in the bushes no more then 30 meters from a bathroom. I guess that some people would rather live in their filth than walk or pump out. Frankly I would like to see the CG impound the boats.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
My mariner 40 has a holding tank for the head as well as a tank for sink and shower runoff. I think the main holding tank for the head is a good thing, however, the grey water tank is a pain and I am not so sure it is that important in the envoirnmental scheme of things?
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:40   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Our boat was South African built in 94, imported to the US in 2001 when I bought her. She had no holding tank. We searched every nook and cranny looking for a suitable place to install a tank, just to be legal.

It's only 15 gallons, but meets requirements. I can assure you we make trips up the dock rather than use the head to avoid having to pump it often.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote