Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2012, 22:46   #1

Boat: 1989 Thunderbird F-29-PC
How Far Out Would You Go In This Boat ?

Newby to this forum, but, have been boating for about 25 years in the Pacific NW. I currently own a 1989 Thunderbird F-29-PC. It has twin Marine Vortec 5.7's, with 280 duoprops. A Furuno Navnet system, Icom Marine radio, and is equipped with dual 80 gallon fuel tanks, 50 gallons fresh water holding tank, saniflush head system, 12/120 refrigerator, Westerbeke 4.2 kw generator, single burner alcohol/electric stove, rear berth, head, front berth, and the usual amenities for a boat this size. Every year I do the zincs, oil changes, gear oil changes, engine tune ups, etc. I have taken this boat from its moorage in Skagit county through the San Juan Islands, and south through the locks to Seafair. I have done this solo, many times, with no issues, and no problems. And have spent many nights anchored out in nowhere on this boat. I can comfortably cruise at 29-31 mph, at about 3/4 throttle. And my fuel consumption is approximately sucky. Ha Ha. Now, that being said, I am curious from the more experienced boaters, who know power boats, just how far out would you think this boat can reasonably go. I realize it might not make the run to San Diego, but, I have often considered getting it around the point at Neah Bay, into more open waters. However, my experiences have all been in the inland waters more than the outer waters. So, I am hoping for a little input from the more experienced boaters out there.

Old 12-08-2012, 22:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How far out would you go in this boat?

On the sport fisher I used to run we would (illegally) put a few diesel cans on the deck to allow us a further range. Barring storm season, the weather and currents up in your neck of the woods are much worse than ours down here.

Old 12-08-2012, 22:54   #3

Boat: 49' Defever RPH
Re: How far out would you go in this boat?

Your main limitation is range, due to the lack of tankage. You most likely would not be able to go down the oregon coast.

With the speed of your boat, and low of range, weather would not be an issue if you picked good weather windows, since you would be day hopping around anyhow, and weather reports are very accurate within that window.

As far as outside the inside passage vs inside, make sure you really check your weather, and make sure you bring ample safety gear. A small craft warning in the sound is no big deal, hell i've gone out in storm warnings around here. Out on the pacific, its another matter entirely.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:03   #4

Boat: 1989 Thunderbird F-29-PC
I have wondered about the amount of fuel and putting in bigger tanks. Say 100-125 gallons per tank. But haven't checked on the space for them in the boat yet.
Old 18-08-2012, 14:06   #5

Re: How far out would you go in this boat ?

Have you thought of bladder tanks? Just my two cents, Mike.
Old 30-08-2012, 21:11   #6

Re: How far out would you go in this boat ?

Hi.

I don't know your boat. But. if it's the usual shallower draght. possibly skinnier type sport boat.
I'd be careful about how much extra fuel, etc. you carry.
In relation to your displacement in water. and boat stability.
It can affect both your balance. Roll recovery time. and hull speed capabilities.
Not a problem in sheltered waters. But outside. you can roll around a bit and pitch. even at higher speeds.
Even ships at sea have fallen over when wrongly loaded and\or shifted cargo's.
If you go the bladder way. (They are good and proven.)
Just make sure you have them LOW. and well secured.
Half a ton of liquid (500ltrs) in the wrong place in that size boat and you going for a swim.
Check your hull design capabilities.
Some unlikely boats are great sea boats. Some shouldn't be let loose outside the bathtub.
Find out first.. All boats have reputations. Good or bad.
macka

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: