Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 06:06   #1

Diesel Availability for Passagemaking Powerboats?

Hello all, first post. I've read quite a bit here on CF about passagemaking with a powerboat, but never have I read anything specifically about fuel availability.

First, the (potential) vessel.

I'm in the fortunate position of having virtually no budget for this vessel, and a builder (Spirit Yachts) that's fully on board with my vision, so I'm looking for wisdom concerning my vision, which is...a completely custom wooden trimaran of 40-50ft OAL, outfitted with an especially thin main hull and single mechanically injected diesel engine. Bimini top only. Very sparse interior to keep things as lightweight as possible; meaning, specifically, a single bed, a single head/shower, a sink and stove, a chest of drawers for clothes, and a weight bench w/ a few dumbells on a rack--all the rest of the boat's space is available for stowage. Only ever one person ever aboard when underway. Overall, a very shallow draft boat of very light weight, built for extremely simple traveling and best fuel economy without any desire for fast speeds or big horsepower. Think along the lines of an old Jeep CJ or an old hardtail Harley Davidson--the-journey-is-the-destination sort of theme.

I'm not necessarily wanting to cross oceans, but I am very much wanting to trace all the coasts and visit all the archipelagos that have interesting people, places, or events. I don't drink alcohol, I don't pick up party girls, and I don't do any drugs, so places offering nothing but those activities don't interest me.

Bottom line then: just how available is diesel for passagemaking powerboats "out there?" Would I be able to fill the tanks only along coasts and on islands with lots of infrastructure, or do even remote locations cater to powerboat cruisers?
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: How Available is Diesel "Out There" for Passagemaking Powerboaters?

Diesel fueled equipment is everywhere. So while there may generally be no infrastructure for yachts, there is always some sort of a way to get fuel. It may be an entire village schlepping jugs or it may be beaching the boat at high tide so that the local fuel delivery truck can drive up to you. There's always a way, but not always an easy way.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Diesel Availability for Passagemaking Powerboats?

Welcome to CF !

Uhmm... If you are budget conscious as you say... Having a "1 off custom built wood boat" commissioned, is easily the most expensive route...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Diesel fueled equipment is everywhere. So while there may generally be no infrastructure for yachts, there is always some sort of a way to get fuel. It may be an entire village schlepping jugs or it may be beaching the boat at high tide so that the local fuel delivery truck can drive up to you. There's always a way, but not always an easy way.

But readily available in locations with people, alcohol, and party girls...

Old 01-10-2016, 06:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And to answer your question in the deleted post... No, duplicate posts in different forums are not allowed... Doing so incurs a penalty fine of $500 payable to the moderator party workshop fund...

(your posts have been merged into this one found here)

Old 01-10-2016, 06:53   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
But readily available in locations with people, alcohol, and party girls...

Often one needs to pay the people with alcohol and party girls.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Welcome to CF !

Uhmm... If you are budget conscious as you say... Having a "1 off custom built wood boat" commissioned, is easily the most expensive route...

Sorry, I should have clarified more, um, clearly.

"No budget" in this particular case means, "No budget exists because there are no budgetary limitations."
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified more, um, clearly.

"No budget" in this particular case means, "No budget exists because there are no budgetary limitations."
This should be spectacular fun then !

Old 01-10-2016, 07:25   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

So why wood? If unlimited budget get Bob Perry to design it for you. As for diesel it is everywhere you see a fishing boat docked.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:06   #10

The weight of all the necessary fuel in a lightweight trimaran may be a problem. Use a low hp diesel. 10 hp Saab? That would work for your purpose.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20   #11

There is some sort of diesel fuel available just about anywhere there are people. Diesel is the elixir that does the work of the world.

If you have a large fuel hungry vessel you could get in trouble with the quantity available.
I know of one instance where the chief engineer of a large vessel ran the fuel level to low and had to use a USN Oiler to bring in 400,000 gallons so they could get under way again. The ship was in a harbor in American Samoa, CE assumed a state? like American Samoa would have large quantities of fuel available. A goof like that ruined a potentially good career. [it was an American ship]
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22   #12

Boat: FP ORANA 44

Hi Nicolas, my husband and I just bought a 45ft catamaran (sailing) and have been sailing for 20 years through Carib, including offshore short stints. Now spend 5 months aboard. Really recommend the caribbean basin for starters, Bahamas (isolated), BVI (ideal) and all the way around the chain there is DIESEL EVERYWHERE, the only problem you will encounter is bad fuel (is South Caicos). MUST HAVE plenty of filters and even pre filter the fuel in dicey areas. We had a clogged filter, but the availability of Diesel is unlimited really unless you are extremely isolated, we keep extra fuel onboard. We 2 can handle up to at least a 50 ft sailing cat, they handle like a power boat w dual engines I can easily parallel park in tight quarters or anchor, I am 62 yo female. SHALLOW DRAFT A MUST Do not be intimidated by the size of these things, if getting a power boat Get a cat, LOOK AT SUNREEF POWER CATS, Fontaine Pajot etc you will want to be anchored out and will roll, we anchor offshore behind hidden reefs kiteboarding in the middle of nowhere comfortably in 20knots of wind with NO ROLL, get the biggest boat you can handle, 45ft plus. MUST go to the Ft Lauderdale Boat show this month will get massive knowledge and see every boat layout and style possible, biggest power boat show in the world. You will never regret your decision, live large! Pam & Bruce Orisek ISOLA,
dolphinwatch4876@gmail.com for more input.
sailorgirl1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:40   #13

Wherever there is fuel you are more than likely to find alcohol, drugs, and party girls if you look for them except for a few obvious locations. Why does this matter? Are you planning a trip to the Middle East?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:51   #14

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

We get around 4nmpg, but hold alot of fuel. Outside of the US, we have only done Central America. Fuel has been available, sometimes the quality has been questionable, which is when it is nice to have the flexibility of range. Even in Providencia Island a local would offer to bring fuel from afar and deliver it to the boat for a small fee.

Put in as much tankage as feasible and have a good filtration set up!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:04   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

It would seem to me a small cat would fit all of your needs at a fraction of the price. Like maybe a 34 ft Gemini.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, passage