Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 11:24   #16

Re: How Available is Diesel "Out There" for Passagemaking Powerboaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
We get around 4nmpg, but hold alot of fuel. Outside of the US, we have only done Central America. Fuel has been available, sometimes the quality has been questionable, which is when it is nice to have the flexibility of range. Even in Providencia Island a local would offer to bring fuel from afar and deliver it to the boat for a small fee.

Put in as much tankage as feasible and have a good filtration set up!
^^ What he said

And I would add if transiting the Caribbean, carry several extra filters for your filtering system. Also, some additives including Biocide.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:26   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Diesel Availability for Passagemaking Powerboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Hello all, first post. I've read quite a bit here on CF about passagemaking with a powerboat, but never have I read anything specifically about fuel availability.

First, the (potential) vessel.

I'm in the fortunate position of having virtually no budget for this vessel, and a builder (Spirit Yachts) that's fully on board with my vision, so I'm looking for wisdom concerning my vision, which is...a completely custom wooden trimaran of 40-50ft OAL, outfitted with an especially thin main hull and single mechanically injected diesel engine. Bimini top only. Very sparse interior to keep things as lightweight as possible; meaning, specifically, a single bed, a single head/shower, a sink and stove, a chest of drawers for clothes, and a weight bench w/ a few dumbells on a rack--all the rest of the boat's space is available for stowage. Only ever one person ever aboard when underway. Overall, a very shallow draft boat of very light weight, built for extremely simple traveling and best fuel economy without any desire for fast speeds or big horsepower. Think along the lines of an old Jeep CJ or an old hardtail Harley Davidson--the-journey-is-the-destination sort of theme.

I'm not necessarily wanting to cross oceans, but I am very much wanting to trace all the coasts and visit all the archipelagos that have interesting people, places, or events. I don't drink alcohol, I don't pick up party girls, and I don't do any drugs, so places offering nothing but those activities don't interest me.

Bottom line then: just how available is diesel for passagemaking powerboats "out there?" Would I be able to fill the tanks only along coasts and on islands with lots of infrastructure, or do even remote locations cater to powerboat cruisers?
Huh, best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 16:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Wherever there is fuel you are more than likely to find alcohol, drugs, and party girls if you look for them except for a few obvious locations. Why does this matter? Are you planning a trip to the Middle East?

I figure places offering attractions like plenty of booze, hookers, and blow would probs be heavy with tourists, and hence with infrastructure as well. And therefore was sort of assuming places w/out those things might not have diesel readily available for purchase by a cruiser.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
The weight of all the necessary fuel in a lightweight trimaran may be a problem. Use a low hp diesel. 10 hp Saab? That would work for your purpose.

How much a potential problem, do you think?

And a 10hp engine--would only 10 horses really provide enough oomph to get and keep the vessel moving under real world conditions?
Old 01-10-2016, 17:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
So why wood? If unlimited budget get Bob Perry to design it for you.

No other reason than I like the warmth and authenticity of wood. Bob Perry has better materials? I'm quite open to suggestions from wiser minds than my own.
Old 01-10-2016, 17:46   #21

Boat: Taswell 43

Living and cruising in the Philippines for +10 years taught us that diesel is everywhere. How good that diesel is, however, is another question. One place we got fuel, it came out of a rusty 55-gal drum(I'm guessing it had been there a long time), siphoned out via a guys mouth on a garden hose, and into used milk jugs. We did get fuel, but I'm glad I had a fuel polish system, biocide, and lots of extra filters. Diesel is available everywhere, just don't expect new, quality fuel!!!!!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:35   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
No other reason than I like the warmth and authenticity of wood. Bob Perry has better materials? I'm quite open to suggestions from wiser minds than my own.
Carbon fiber. Much lighter, stronger and better fuel mileage.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Carbon fiber. Much lighter, stronger and better fuel mileage.

Meaning Mr. Perry already designs/builds his vessels in CF, or that I should request that he do so for my trimaran?

I do indeed find the notion of a superleggera tri in CF very intriguing, but the notion that I could hire a famous nautical designer who already specializes in custom builds with the stuff even more exciting.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:50   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Yes. He is building four Carbon boats right now at the Betts yard. They do fantastic work.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:54   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If budget is not an issue a small Nordhavn would be a good way to go. Excellent fuel economy, comfortable, and safe. I don't think you can combine a small, light trimaran with the fuel capacity you would need. People have given you good advice I will only add one thought. In some places you can diesel fuel only at the fishing boat dock and they often have very large diameter fill hoses that deliver at a very high rate. The fill pipes just won't fit into s standard pleasure boat fill. Also you need really good rendering as these docks are often very rough.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:26   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

The availibility of diesel is not a crux but the finding good diesel is. Consider that in more remote place you go the chance of getting a "bad fill" increases.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 22:15   #27

Thanks so much everyone for your help! Per the information I've gotten here I've now got an email out to Bob Perry to see if there's a way he can realize my ultra lightweight, ultra thin power trimaran idea in carbon fiber, and still outfit the vessel with enough fuel tankage for everything short of ocean crossings.

I suppose I'll add a mast and sail if the venerable Bob says I must. Gasp!

I'll keep this thread updated with his response.
Old 02-10-2016, 23:33   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone for your help! Per the information I've gotten here I've now got an email out to Bob Perry to see if there's a way he can realize my ultra lightweight, ultra thin power trimaran idea in carbon fiber, and still outfit the vessel with enough fuel tankage for everything short of ocean crossings.

I suppose I'll add a mast and sail if the venerable Bob says I must. Gasp!

I'll keep this thread updated with his response.
Consider both Chris White and Kurt Hughes both USA who could have more experience designing Trimarans and also efficient powerboats than Bob Perry.

Chris White Designs Multihull Sailboats High Performance Cruising Yachts - Catamaran and Trimaran

Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 23:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Consider both Chris White and Kurt Hughes both USA who could have more experience designing Trimarans and also efficient powerboats than Bob Perry.

Chris White Designs Multihull Sailboats High Performance Cruising Yachts - Catamaran and Trimaran

Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter

Outstanding, thanks for the linkies.

I've now got emails out to these chaps as well.

Tags
diesel, passage