Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 20:14   #31

Boat: 50' houseboat
I will only have around 50k to spend on a boat it depends on how much I get for my house. I was looking more at the coastal cruiser now than the houseboat because traveling in the gulf. See my wife wants to live in or around savannah Ga and my sister may move to mobile about the same time so between them will be most of my traveling. Floor plan is the biggest thing for me I can't walk or stand at all so one that is easy to make accessible will be a key issue.
edinwheels73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:59   #32

Boat: 50' houseboat
I just enjoy looking at them for now and asking y'all questions. My favorite so far is a 1980 54' bluewater with a 555 diesel.
edinwheels73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 06:45   #33

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Re: houseboat cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Hmm, a lot of people have been disparaging the Bluewater so just to be clear, it is a sharp bow bridge deck boat. So it has a lot more capability that a standard houseboat. At least one has been out in hurricane conditions and did ok.

I wouldn't recommend it due to the low freeboard, but they do have open water, just not true deep sea capability. I would happily take mine out 30-40 miles in open water, but not much passed that.
Agreed 100%, I have a 58 footer and that distance from shore is 1.5 to two hours at WOT and I have been that distance with no issues, I just make sure I know where all the safe harbors are before I leave.

Mine is diesel with twin 450 cummins with over 1100 hours with minor maintenance on the engines and the fuel consumption is 2mpg at 800 rpm which is 8mph, idle, up to 2gpm at 2400 rpm which is 23 mph. So consumption ranges from a low of 4 gph to 42 gph depending on speed.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 02:47   #34

Re: Houseboat Cruising

I'll suggest you check out a Carrie Craft, this is a catamaran houseboat and there have been several on the markey (2 or 3) that have been updated and refurbished, they do have steps but a lift would work. All living space is on the main deck and floor. These are old, heavyly built boats and they have been through the Panama Canal and all over the ICWs and Bahamas. Probably not for the North Atlantic but more seaworthy than any other houseboat. All docks and morrings are not the same, and the aft area can take a sling lift and a lift to the upper deck which on some are really big party areas. Check them out, low draught and beachable too!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:12   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Houseboat cruising sounds like a fine idea (in appropriate waters of course). Big contingent of house boat cruisers and live aboards in the Sacramento Delta.

I think there are many cruisers and live aboards on sailing vessels, who rarely actually put their sails up anyway (or even leave the slip for that matter), who would be more comfortable with this option.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 19:57   #36

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Have any of you guys got an old map of the great loop you no longer want or need ? We're cruising the Spanish coast/French canals region at the moment and our cruiser is for sale, if it's sold we're thinking possibly about doing the great loop and just a general map with an overview would be great to start with. Does anyone know the draught, air height restrictions.
Thanks in advance.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:06   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Try this link:

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

They have everything you'll want in any case. Personally, I would skip the Missippii in favor of the TenTom at least the part below the Ohio. Above the Ohio is the prettiest section of the Mississippi. The GreatLoop organization will link you into all sorts of other resources you'll want to plan the trip. Strictly speaking parts of the full loop won't work in a "house boat". It's not all rivers.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 08:35   #38

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

PBlais, Thanks for the 'heads up' very much appreciated, I'm not really into houseboats I would prefer a single engine motor cruiser so thats no problem. I'll take your point about the Missisipi on board when we get down to planning.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 12:37   #39

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

I heard bluewater and a brand by the name harbor master is a good boat. There are many who have houseboats near us on the Mississippi and travel a lot up and down the river, lots to travel on the mississippi and to see. Have to watch the weather and pull up if needed too.
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising