Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-03-2014, 06:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hours unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
Do the marine detroits have the same oil leaking issues as the highway detroits? Series 60 I believe or the older mechinacial. If it was leaking oil yep it has enough oil in her.

wondering around with no destionation
Yep, they are nasty, loud, smelly, obnoxious things, that if decently maintained will run forever

Seriously GG, sounds like you have at least found an honest person to deal with as they tell you straight up hours are not known, I'd tell you it's more common that not for people to not know the actual number of hours on an engine, but does it really matter? I think condition of the engine is far more important than hours and condition can be determined by a competent mechanic.

Old 31-03-2014, 07:10   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Detroit's have a great reputation, I know of a 1960's era Wheeler that had been sitting on the hard for 10years and in 05' a guy purchased the vessel and both engines fired up and the boat motored from NY to Mass, think they used the fuel that was left in the tanks.

So you have received some good advise here, sea trial the boat, compression test and oil analysis, find a good mechanic familiar with this brand. The way the motors cold start will also give a good idea as to the serviceability.

Old 31-03-2014, 08:14   #18

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Nothing better then a older mechanical motor. No doubt reliable and a workhorse of a block. They just liked to cycle out their own oil instead of dropping the plug. Hehe.

Without a hour meter my checks would be how well it starts from a cold start. Does it fire right up or take a few cranks to get going. How bad does is smoke if it does what colors at what water temps and what loads. Run it for a good hard run see if there's any oil loss or brurning. Does it have the rhythm not missing a beat chugging along and at idle. Idle up to 1k rpm again does it have a good rhythm to it. How does the fuel pump look? Wet dry? Does the block anywhere show signs of being torn apart nicked bolts or even missing. I'd even see if any bolts are loose on the valve cover. Any kind of hint of service it may of had or not. New looking seals at the seams sticking out? Good idea something was taken apart.

A little drift thinking about a old mechanical. If I had the room and if it was possible I'd slap in a old powerstroke 7.3L Ford block if that could be turned into a marine version. One of the most reliable motors on the road in automotive. IMO.

Old 31-03-2014, 08:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post

A little drift thinking about a old mechanical. If I had the room and if it was possible I'd slap in a old powerstroke 7.3L Ford block if that could be turned into a marine version. One of the most reliable motors on the road in automotive. IMO.

Around the Panhandle a lot of shrimp boats run the Cummins out of a Dodge pickup, lots of them in junkyards in wrecked trucks cheap. Many aren't marininzed at all, dry stacked and some even have radiators off the truck.

I think the original non turbo Diesel Ford used was actually made by International?
Old 31-03-2014, 09:01   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

It is nice to know the engine hours but they are not the bottom line. At the very least get an oil analysis and a compression test. These two tests will tell you quite a bit.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 09:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Around the Panhandle a lot of shrimp boats run the Cummins out of a Dodge pickup, lots of them in junkyards in wrecked trucks cheap. Many aren't marininzed at all, dry stacked and some even have radiators off the truck.

I think the original non turbo Diesel Ford used was actually made by International?
Thats pretty neat. Hey if there is room for a self contained colling system and to remove the heat thats even more gooder...

Correct a international motor but I suppose some places may tough to stick a V8. Damm reliable. I would want a NA instead of a turbo. Ohhh how they sound when they start up. Ruffff gaggagagaga....

Edit:: I was going to mention those older L6 12V cummins to I love the low end torque a cummins puts out. They both love the abuse of pushing weight. The more the happier it runs.

Old 31-03-2014, 10:37   #22

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Its not so much the hours as how the engine was used and maintained. DD 71 engines are great reliable proven long lasting engine. A good DD diesel mechanic should be able to tell what condition the engines are in. The 71 are 2 strokes so they are a simple engine and they can be rebuild in frame/place.

If they are natural they do not scream and they are not that loud. I bought the Eagle because the single engine was a DD 671 which is a work horse with thousand still in operation and if necessary rebuild in place. As for the noise if you put a good muffler system on the engine/exhaust and sound proof the engine room, you can make them very quiet. Standing on the back deck the 671 is not louder than stand behind my dodge pick up.

As for leaks they do tend to leak but most engine that are 30+ year old leak. The reason they tend to leak is the air intake blower that pressurizes the engine. Blows air in to the cylinder and blows the exhaust out of the cylinders on the down stroke. When the mechanic is there he can show and explain the basic while he is checking out the engine. Beside a couple diapers changed a couple of times a year take care of most leaks. Our 671 has two leaks one in the oil pan and the other is the rear seal of the transmission. Maybe a pint of oil per year.
Old 31-03-2014, 16:31   #23

You guys, thank you all very much for all of the great replies. It's rare, but I love when everyone is in agreement It's much less confusing... (for me). I'm glad that the consensus is that the hours aren't as important as engine condition. I will definitely have them thoroughly examined by a Detroit guy if they take my offer.

This boat, otherwise, is in very nice condition, and it is the model that I have been chasing, so I really didn't want to rule it out.

I'm waiting for an answer on my first choice boat offer. If it doesn't work out. This will be my next move
Old 31-03-2014, 20:14   #24

:: thumbs :: hope to hear more later in time

Old 31-03-2014, 21:22   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

Hours are meaningless, even if they are accurate. A well cared for and properly run diesel will look and run like new at 10k hours, while a neglected one will act like an old man at 3k hours.

Obviously, getting a mechanical survey for every boat you're considering will add up fast. Rather, find the boat you want, make an offer, get an engine survey, and adjust your offer price based on the results. Chances are good that if your offer is accepted that the seller will work with you on the final purchase price based on the results of the survey.

As far as buyer's brokers go, don't knock them. Just as there are professional, analytical, and principled RE brokers there are the same among boat brokers. It's all in who you find. They can not only save you time in separating the wheat from the chaff, but also save you a bundle in negotiating the final price based on the general survey. While they want to sell boats, it's a referral business and at your price point a good broker will work with you over a longer period to help you find the right boat for you and get a good price on it.
Old 01-04-2014, 15:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Hours are meaningless, even if they are accurate. A well cared for and properly run diesel will look and run like new at 10k hours, while a neglected one will act like an old man at 3k hours.

Obviously, getting a mechanical survey for every boat you're considering will add up fast. Rather, find the boat you want, make an offer, get an engine survey, and adjust your offer price based on the results. Chances are good that if your offer is accepted that the seller will work with you on the final purchase price based on the results of the survey.

As far as buyer's brokers go, don't knock them. Just as there are professional, analytical, and principled RE brokers there are the same among boat brokers. It's all in who you find. They can not only save you time in separating the wheat from the chaff, but also save you a bundle in negotiating the final price based on the general survey. While they want to sell boats, it's a referral business and at your price point a good broker will work with you over a longer period to help you find the right boat for you and get a good price on it.
Thanks for the engine info. Helps a lot.

Certainly not trying to knock brokers. As I said, I have met some very good ones and also, that if nothing else, I definitely now know with whom I would list my boat if that time ever comes.

But, I have also encountered some crappy ones. But, in general, I am very untrusting in nature, especially of those who work off commission. But...you make a valid point about brokering being a referral business.
Old 04-04-2014, 20:03   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It is nice to know the engine hours but they are not the bottom line. At the very least get an oil analysis and a compression test. These two tests will tell you quite a bit.
When ever I survey a boat with clients without a working hour meter I always suggest they replace after closing.

That way they have a solid benchmark to track usage and Maintenace moving forward .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: