Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-12-2013, 12:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Help! Transitioning from sail to twin screws

[QUOTE=a64pilot;1407892]Every boat I've had will drop the bow and hence get on plane quicker with full tabs. My current boat with water tank and full fuel four people and dive gear won't plane at all without the tabs down. She will just point her nose high and hang there. It takes the tabs to push her over on plane.
If your only burning 18 GPH at 55 mph that's incredible good fuel burn. I'm smaller and a single four stroke outboard but burn over 20 GPH at 30 kts.[/QUOTE]
I think you may want to look at what's going on there. seems very high to me. I did some testing about 7 years ago on many 26-30 foot boats with single and dual 250 HP 4 stroke outboards. For cruising rpm and 33-38 mph the burn was consistantly about 13 GPH. One indication may be that the boat wont plane at all without the tabs down.... you are dragging a lot of water. Maybe your engine is not mounted correctly (to low)? or the angle is wrong.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
No engine is right. Anti Cavitation plate just out of the water on plane etc. boat is a little underpowered with a single Verado 175 when I have her loaded. Best planing fuel burn is around 12 gal an hour at 20 or so kts and if I remember correctly about 4800 RPM. Full throttle gives 30 kts at about 6500 RPM and over 20 GPH
Load is 440 lbs fuel 320 lbs water 700 lbs people 500 lbs dive gear plus Ice box fishing gear etc on a 21 ft CC
All or almost everything is on the stern making her of course stern heavy. Next biggest OB is the bigger engine block and significantly heavier. There are only two engine blocks in the entire Verado line HP reflects tune and boost pressure etc not engine size. To go to higher HP without a weight gain meant a two stroke and I wanted a four stroke. At trolling speeds I get great fuel mileage. But when the Supercharger starts making boost fuel burn goes way up. You ain't making HP without burning fuel

Old 05-12-2013, 21:13   #18

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Saw the Camipion for the first time today and she really is like new. Engines are new (50 hours) Volvo 5.7's which was necessary because the block froze and cracked on one and they decided to do both. Total hours on the boat was just over 500. I put a non-refundable $500 deposit leaving the deal subject to sea-trial Saturday morning.

The temperature is minus 5 celsius on Saturday and the non-refundable $500 is because the seller is "de-winterizing" and launching for the sea trial.

Question: It might go to minus 10 but rarely colder than that here in Vancouver so if the "winterization" has covered the on-board water and waste what cold weather stuff should I worry about given that I would like to keep the boat available for operating through the winter? I will check the engine coolant for minus 20 or better. I can leave a small heater going on shore power at the marina.
Old 05-12-2013, 21:41   #19

"So keep your ears open as you demo ride the 925 Allante. At 3500 rpm, our test boat, which was powered by twin 250-hp Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi DuoProp stern drives ($6,677), produced a 33.5-mph nominal cruise speed and burned 17.8 gph. Those are some good numbers. But the more remarkable figure didn't come from our fuel-flow monitor or radar gun. It came from the sound meter. At 78 dB-A, the 925 Allante is quiet enough to let you cruise for 186 miles and enjoy the company of your guests without resorting to a bullhorn."

Campion 925 Allante: Star Quality | Boating Magazine

SO sounds like I should get used to lots of noise while traveling. The sailboat rules that way.

Are you saying those fuel consumption numbers are good comparably?
Old 05-12-2013, 22:04   #20

Would be cheap insurance to bring along a qualified local marine surveyor on your sea trial. He could analyze the engine/nex
Old 05-12-2013, 22:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
Would be cheap insurance to bring along a qualified local marine surveyor on your sea trial. He could analyze the engine/nex
Premature launch ------ surveyor could analyze the engine/mechanical components and advise you on effective ways to protect from freezing. Sounds like the PO didn't have much luck if one block cracked.
Anything liquid (except gasoline) on the boat is subject to freezing at some temperature. If you plan to use the boat over the winter you will need antifreeze in the engines if they are FWC, Some type of non-poisonous antifreeze in the water tank. The waste holding tank also needs to be protected. One or more onboard electric heaters may do the job, but ask the surveyor.
Old 05-12-2013, 23:22   #22

Question about planing, Is it more economical to cruise below planing or above planing as per fuel consumption?

Also any idea what speed this boat would plane at as a minimum with trim tabs optimal?
Old 06-12-2013, 19:14   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Walmart sells RV antifreeze for everything except the engine of course, it's non poisonious
The slower you go, the better the fuel consumption, fuel consumption will get really bad at some point above hull speed, but below planing speed, so usually the best mileage speed that you feel like your making good progress is pretty much the slowest she will plane after the bow drops,planing speed at least as much as anything else is a function on how heavily she is loaded and how well the load is distributed, she will be light so I bet she will plane at or before 10 or 12 kts
If your worried about fuel cost, walk away. I'll go trough most of my 110 gl tank on a long weekend diving, but I do a lot of running. Fuel cost if you use the boat will be horrendous, just the way it is.
Old 06-12-2013, 21:00   #24

The most use I got out of my Hunter was motoring 3 hours to the end of Indian Arm where I keep a couple of motorcycles. Dirtbiking the Indian River valley is a joy to me. Two weeks back I came face to face with a wolf!

Anyway I drop anchor and enjoy a few days.

I figure my fuel costs will go from 2 to 10 gallons so $50 more than before, insignificant really. Rarely the wind would cooperate anyway and often though what was the point of sails for most of my trips.

Reading through the reviews on this boat I'm getting, the thing is a bit of a performance beast with the 5.7's so start having a little fun and I could do serious harm to my wallet. I do want tips on fuel saving and I thank you for them ... just over planing at 12 knots sounds reasonable to me.

I also wanted to know about wake with a boat like this. Any scale for a ten thousand pound boat?
Old 06-12-2013, 21:10   #25

This Helm is intimidating as well. Talk about a learning curve!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:27   #26

Wake:
A few weeks back a large power boat flew past and threw a wave that broke over the bow of the HUnter and soaked our cabin through the open hatch. We were in a no wake zone at the time.

If 12 knots is low speed plane on the Campion, what will the wake be like? Anyone? Do I need to come off plane when passing other small boats?

The sailboat couldn't make a wake big enough to annoy anyone.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48   #27

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

In California, the speed limit in no-wake zones is 5 mph (4+ knots); regardless, the speed limit is also 5 mph anytime (not necessarily posted) the vessel is within 100 ft of a bather or within 200 feet of a bathing beach, swimming float, diving platform or life line, passenger landing being used, or landing where boats are tied up.

Outside of speed-controlled areas, the Coot doesn't create much of a wake even at its fastest (7.3-knot) speed. I only slow down for other boats if they are small/open such as a row boat or kayak.

In open waters, most boaters I encounter don't seem concerned with their wakes. It's common that I slow down and turn into other boaters' wakes to reduce their effect on me.
Old 07-12-2013, 16:27   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

at low plane or just below the wake will be terrible. I've spent many a day on a trawler or sailboat wishing the powerboat operators who were trying to be nice by slowing down would just whizz past me at speed... very little wake that way.. instead they try do the right thing and slow down creating a big wake in doing so, as well as moving at non planing speed as they go past.... and the sail or trawler rolls like heck!

Old 07-12-2013, 19:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
at low plane or just below the wake will be terrible. I've spent many a day on a trawler or sailboat wishing the powerboat operators who were trying to be nice by slowing down would just whizz past me at speed... very little wake that way.. instead they try do the right thing and slow down creating a big wake in doing so, as well as moving at non planing speed as they go past.... and the sail or trawler rolls like heck!
That's interesting, so either a slow displacement speed of fast plane for the least wake.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, but many sailors/trawlers will shake their fist at you if you go by at speed... not realizing what they are asking for! Best to steer clear and ignore them! haha :>)

Tags
crew, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: