Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 01:50   #1

Help Please

New to all this, thinking of getting a motor Cruiser,up to what lenth can you use on your own ? What training would I need ? Also any other things I should keep clear off. I have been looking at a 65 foot one is this too big for one person. Would like to spend most of the time in the med living on board.
Many thanks
dselec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:11   #2

Boat: 43 Defever
Send a message via Skype™ to Wittig
Cool Re: Help please

What size?:

This is not an easy question to answer. Some very experienced Captains can handle a boat by themselves of say 90' in non stressful conditions and calm weather. If something happens and a major OH S..t happens, even three or four on board isn't enough.

With Experience (a lot), my "opinion" is a boat from 36 to say 50' would be a maximum. Again with Calm weather and NO OH S..ts I really think 65' by yourself is a real stretch.

First get some school: US Power Squadron, US Coast Guard Ax, Many Universities have night classes, a private Captain's School (you will not be able to have your Captain's until you have experience but the school will be valuable). On line schools (I do not recommend this as being with others is a major assist in learning). First book to purchase is Chapman pilot and seamanship. then if you can stay interested,purchase a medium/hard book such as Dutton's Navigation and piloting. (this book is NOT a light weight read). STUDY it do not just skim. Stay away from the heavy weight stuff such as Bowditch (2 Vol), until you have a few years experience and can plow through the first two books I recommended.

Now for some experience: If you have the money, go off season and charter a crewed boat (sail or power - what ever you are interested in). Make sure that the Captain understands that you are interested in him teaching you for the entire trip including boat handling. (some will NOT be interested in being a full time teacher!).
Try some University Sailing schools or University Boating Courses.

Good Luck

Capt. Rich Wittig
Licensed master 37 years.
Wittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:42   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The cost of a marina berth for a 65 motor boat , in the med is more then several crew , shouldn't be a problem
Old 16-06-2012, 08:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Help please

I think docking a 65' power boat single handed in anything but dead calm wind and current would be extremely tricky, especially for someone with little to no experience.

If you just want a boat to keep at the dock, go for it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 01:23   #5

Many thanks for all the replys I thinks it back to the drawing board for now and look again
Old 22-06-2012, 02:01   #6

Docking a 65 footer singlehanded with bow and stern thrusters would be very easy....$$$$....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 02:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Docking a 65 footer singlehanded with bow and stern thrusters would be very easy....$$$$....
ok I will ask the question from the chap who is selling it thanks
Old 22-06-2012, 03:33   #8

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

dselec, I have a 33 Centre Cockpit motor cruiser and cruised extensively single handed I believe that it's the ideal size to handle safely in any weather and in Force 7 seas I had my hands full. A boat sitting in a marina on a sunny day is a very different proposition in a storm . Think safety. In my experience things have a habit of going wrong at the most inopportune moment.
Choose carefully and read Wittigs post on the subject..Good Luck.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 11:19   #9

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia

Vetus offers a docking system that regulates the power between your twin engines, bowthruster and sternthruster making it a piece of cake.
Home: passagemakerlite Ataraxia the first in...
Ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 13:08   #10

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

If there is someone on board that knows all there is to know about her and is prepared to fix anything and really loves these boat things, then you have a chance at success and much pleasure. If that person loves the lure of adventure the sea offers, then again there's that chance of success and much pleasure like no other. If not, she will shrug you off...Love is basically reciprocal... There are really things that money can't buy. Aren't we lucky?
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 02:29   #11

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

There are as many theories as there are boats, which is why there's hardly two the same in any marina. It depends on whether you want a radio controlled boat like the Veus system with all the gee-gaws and toys but do remember these things will definitely work, indefinitely ! My own personal view is to work on the K.I.S.S principle. I'm quite happy doing routine maintainance and helping other people but I bought a boat to cruise and discover new places, explore, catch up with old friends, make new ones.
I can only suggest you look at your personal ability,bank balance, income and chosen cruising ground, that will determine what boat you will buy.
Good luck in your venture but as has been wisely suggested before, get your qualifications, hire a skippered boat and sail under instruction, watch and learn and you will find your own niche in this wonderful cruising life.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote