Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 14:54   #1

Help! Gibraltar - Tenerife via Moroccan Coast: 42ft Boat

Hi All,

New here and looking for a bit of help and advice:

I’ve been asked to help take a friends’ 2006 Jeanneau Prestige 42 Flybridge from Gibraltar to Tenerife, down the Moroccan coast starting around the last week in October 2018, weather and conditions permitting.

I am asking for help and would like to hear from any motor-boaters or sailors that have experience of this stretch of water, down the Moroccan Atlantic Coast; Rabat, Agadir etc and perhaps over to the Canaries.

Specifically:

What are the likely sea-conditions, wave-heights, period, fetch-direction, and windspeeds and directions?

What have you experienced? Was it particularly rough or challenging?

Anything in particular to be aware of / advice ?

If you’re reading this and have experience of this area - sail or power, or this type and size of motor boat, do you have alarm bells ringing thinking this is ‘crazy’, or are you thinking “yes this should be fine if you time it right”.

I have consulted charts, pilot books, online forums, North Atlantic pilot charts for weather trends, online planning resources etc.

Fuel planning is a major constraint and Rabat and Agadir seem to me to be the only ‘major’ marinas that have good access and fuel.

This particular boat is new to me although I am not new to the style and, even though I do say so myself, I would consider myself quite experienced having done several offshore passages in motor boats, and have undertaken various training and qualifications.

I will be accompanied by a friend who has similar experience and training to me plus we would be taking two experienced and useful crew able to take a safe navigational watch (any volunteers?!)

Any advice is gratefully received as I want to be as safe as possible - despite whatever past boating experience I think I might have I would always want to hear views of others who have done this or a similar trip before.

Thanks guys

David
Q4YB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Gibraltar