Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 14:27   #46

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Helicopters and Motor Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I really think he is going to need two helipads.

What if he has a friend come visit who flies out in his own helicopter, but the owner's helicopter is already parked on the helipad? What does he do? Tell his friend, "Sorry, but you can't come out to visit, I only have one helipad!"

That will never do!
That's the scariest thing about flying out to a ship that already has a helo aboard ...supposedly..and you get there and you don't see the other helo.....WHERE THE F IS IT?????? you scream over the intercom worried that it's pilot may not see you and is about to collide with you!!!!

Naw....never happened to me....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 14:36   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Running a helicopter is expensive. Perhaps some tips here may help :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-ii-79067.html

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 14:42   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Running a helicopter is expensive. D

Figure about a boat buck an hour for a newer small turbine, more if it's not nearly new, this is of course for one fully paid for.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 15:14   #49

This reminds me...

A former shipmate on my sub was a former DSRV pilot, and a really heavy drinker. He was out at the bars every night we were in port, he even had a $20 bill and directions where to tell the cabby to dump him if found on the curb. One night he ended up sitting in a bar next to a couple of helicopter pilots who were trying to impress the waitress with their daring exploits.

After witnessing all he could stand of their foolishness, he announced that he was a DSRV pilot, and these 2 clowns didn't look like any helicopter pilots he had ever seen. When one of them asked, "What does a helicopter pilot look like?"

He slumped forward in his chair, feigning death.

According to him, they quietly paid their tab and left.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 16:35   #50

Quote:
This reminds me...

A former shipmate on my sub was a former DSRV pilot, and a really heavy drinker. He was out at the bars every night we were in port, he even had a $20 bill and directions where to tell the cabby to dump him if found on the curb. One night he ended up sitting in a bar next to a couple of helicopter pilots who were trying to impress the waitress with their daring exploits.

After witnessing all he could stand of their foolishness, he announced that he was a DSRV pilot, and these 2 clowns didn't look like any helicopter pilots he had ever seen. When one of them asked, "What does a helicopter pilot look like?"

He slumped forward in his chair, feigning death.

According to him, they quietly paid their tab and left.
I always believe stories from REALLY heavy drinkers..

especially one that really don't make much sense....
Old 25-01-2014, 16:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I always believe stories from REALLY heavy drinkers..

especially one that really don't make much sense....

What doesn't make sense? Helicopters crash into the sea all of the time. As a DSRV pilot, the only ones he ever saw were the ones he had to retrieve, dead ones.

Or are you having a hard time believing they left the bar quietly?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 17:16   #52

Quote:
What doesn't make sense? Helicopters crash into the sea all of the time. As a DSRV pilot, the only ones he ever saw were the ones he had to retrieve, dead ones.

Or are you having a hard time believing they left the bar quietly?
OK ....I get itnow...

...and no old-timer helo pilot ever left any place quietly...we are all hard of hearing...
Old 25-01-2014, 19:24   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am realizing how very hard to design this is. I'm also starting to think how right is the idea to do some kind of expedition vessel - maybe conversion of a co mercial vessel. This guy doesn't want any glitz, and if the hull and machinery is such a small part of the cost, then a reasonably large vessel with a modest fit out might be just the thing.

Hmmm.
Not as difficult as you might think to do this.

However, quality fit out, even without all the glitz, is still not cheap!

So identifying the right Yard, at the right time in their management evolution, is easier if you provide all the engineering details I discussed in a Feasibility Study…..

For this allows you to compare apples with apples in assessing each Builder’s ability to execute.
(I was often told that our Bid package provided them with more engineering info than they had on super yachts they were actually building)

To achieve this feasibility detail, you just need to put together the right team of qualified consultants and keep them outside the bid process so that there is no collusion between them and the Builder during negotiations. (I even took myself out of handling communications until we had shortlisted the Bid Replies)

For major decisions …you start with the key requests by the Owner that will drive the design decisions:

For example if quietness underway is a key element where you want to achieve NOISE TARGETS of 40-45db just forward on the engine room at 12 knots, then you cannot cost effectively achieve that with a commercial conversions.
(It is like trying to provide a quiet Bentley ride by converting a dump truck)
http://www.audiology.org/practice/re...Chart16x20.pdf

To achieve 42dba levels as above, it means floating floors and bulkheads, structural design to reduce harmonics and a layout that will diffuse propeller pulses.
So that rules out a commercial conversion and you focus on a new hull, which gives you a clean slate of many more options.

To be a good Owner’s Rep/Build Captain… You need to have achieved the practical experience at sea in command to garner team respect to help guide them towards cost effective solutions.

Often that means compromises
Since solutions need to look after the often disparate needs of:
The 4 Crew Departments/ the Owner-Owner’s Wife/ Builder’s Standard of Execution and quite often Designer’s Egos.

It can be a fun process and if done right, the actual building phase is pretty anticlimactic and you have a much better chance of giving both the Owners and Crew, with what they want at a better price.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 19:55   #54

Boat: Searay 280DA 29' 8"

What about getting a Dynamic position class 3 DSV with pre installed helipad.
SEARAY280DA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 20:36   #55

Quote:
What bull...my instructor in flight school would make bets with me that after autorotating in a ancient Jet ranger, how high we could fly it back vertically after initial auto touchdown and still land back softly with the engine still spooled down....sometime were were easily back up 15 feet.

In the USCG we did full engine idle instrument only autos to the water under the instrument hood....we all learned to slide them on like sliding on glass...even in several foot seas.
The effectiveness of the whole auto-rotate thing kind of depends on how much altitude you have when things stop going your way...no? Under ideal practice conditions, you may get ideal results. Under conditions where an auto-rotate becomes a matter of necessity, your options, & therefore your results, may be less palatable...no?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 20:40   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Running a helicopter is expensive. Perhaps some tips here may help :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-ii-79067.html

Last I checked, a little R-22 (Hyundai of the sky for rotor-craft) was about $150/hour wet, after you amortized in your maintenance costs. That was several years ago.
Old 25-01-2014, 20:43   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So, so much of what you say is wrong in so many ways, I don't even know where to start, so I won't
Feel free to send me a PM if you want to vent. I'll listen constructively to what you have to say.
Old 25-01-2014, 20:48   #58

Quote:
The simplification of rotor heads the last decade or two is significant and has had major reductions in rotary wing accidents. Computerization, autopilots, stability control, ad nauseum make helo flying much simples, less stressful or fatiguing....
I'm a little out of date on this stuff. It sounds like improvements may have been made since my last harrowing experience in a H-269-A
Old 26-01-2014, 03:57   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
The effectiveness of the whole auto-rotate thing kind of depends on how much altitude you have when things stop going your way...no? Under ideal practice conditions, you may get ideal results. Under conditions where an auto-rotate becomes a matter of necessity, your options, & therefore your results, may be less palatable...no?
No...helo pilot's know it's several factors that will add or detract from a successful auto.

Like all landing and flying in general...the quality of the pilot and his/her training is a big part....also followed by fitness and attitude to fly.

Always stay in the safe autorotative envelope and it's no big deal if you are well trained...

If this guy has the money...he'll buy twin engines.
Old 26-01-2014, 04:11   #60

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Some twins have 'fly-away' capability; some don't. 'Fly-away' means exactly as it sounds if the a/c experiences an engine failure in a critical period of flight, usually just after take off. The Heliport & Helideck standards differ significantly depending on the 'design helicopter' and whether it has 'fly-away' capability.

Helicopters are very expensive. Twins far more so. Those with 'fly-away' are rarely owned & operated privately due to their extreme expense.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yacht